99 GT knockin - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #1

Region: Washington
99 GT knockin

herro i love mustangs
i myself dont own one but i had the privvy of driving my father 99 GT convert growing up because he loves me and he eventualy bought a mercedes and it just sat in his driveway collecting dust(or he just wants to see me dead wraped around a tree one or the other). then one day i got in it and it started sounding like it had really bad lifter tick, i questiond my dad if he hears but it was the first he heard of it doing anything of the such(retired navy pilot he deaf) we stoped driving it unless it was needed as a spare car then one day he decided to go take it for a spin and when he started it the motor sounded like a machine gun goin off, if machine guns could could knock on a metal door that is. i had it towed for him recently to a local stealership to have them look at it and they said it needs a new motor spun rod bearing. they are trying to charge around 6Kish to put in a new longblock. heres the part that sounds fishy to me, spun rod bearings sounds like rocks going through the motor, the noise it was making was most definatly a bad noise but not like rocks going through it, it sounds more like a rocker arm is falling off or one of the rods is about to let go and shoot out of Lord knows what side of the engine.

TL;DR
stealership says its making a rock going through motor sound so it must be a spun rob bearing
my ears tell me the polar opposite
would it be worth it to pay them 6 grand for a new motor or should he just find an F250 and swap some stuff around
SexyLilSeaOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: 99 GT knockin

A rod knock can be a steady, loud, rythmic clunk if it's one piston (one thunk per revolution of the motor.. maybe like one rock being thrown per Revolution)

It's pretty hard to diagnose sounds, esp if you don't have the car available to listen around and try and pinpoint the noise (using a screwdriver/etc)

It's OK to tell a shop you want a second opinion and take it elsewhere you don't have to take their word for it
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Region: Washington

it is just one cyl the #7 to be exact i found this out by useing a hollow metal tube as a crude stephiscope and listend to where it might be coming from but that was before it started sounding like rambos M-60 when it was just sounding like some bad lifter tick what im thinking is it was just burning oil and ran out and made a lifter want to let go because when i checked the oil it was bone dry
SexyLilSeaOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLilSeaOtter View Post
it is just one cyl the #7 to be exact i found this out by useing a hollow metal tube as a crude stephiscope and listend to where it might be coming from but that was before it started sounding like rambos M-60 when it was just sounding like some bad lifter tick what im thinking is it was just burning oil and ran out and made a lifter want to let go because when i checked the oil it was bone dry
is the sound coming from the top or bottom of the motor, if the sound is the top of motor then it could be a lifter. if it's the bottom of the motor then it could be a rod knock. could be the rod jurnel bearing. one way to find out is to take and disconnect the eather the injecter connecter or the coil connecter for the #7 cylinder then start the motor. if the sound goes away then it's the bottom end meaning you have a spun bearing on the piston rod. if the sound does not go away then it's the top end and you have a calapsted lifter.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
For 6 grand wow. I saw 350 hp 3v longblocks readyto go on one of these shop sponsored forums.... Shop around... If they are gonna charge those kinds of dollars buy a crate motor and have them install it.... Wow 6 grand... Better yet find a teskid block and build a 4v.... 6 grand... Wow
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Assuming parts and labor $6000 is appropriate.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

take it to another shop, give them little detail (especially no info you got from the other shop) and see if they come to the same conclusion
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Region: Indiana
you blow a plug? it's possible.. aluminum heads..just a thought..
jdwasher42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwasher42
you blow a plug? it's possible.. aluminum heads..just a thought..
If that was the case they would have probably only quoted a head.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT