2000 Gt valve Train Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2000 Gt valve Train Noise

hello, I have a 00 gt that I recently put a new motor in with new everything including lifters and rocker arms. The engine prolly has about 2,000 miles on it and the heads have been CNC ported with upgraded valve springs the B hive springs from comp cams. Recently I have started to get a valve train noise on the driver side when the engine heats up to normal temp. The noise goes away the higher rpm's but when you come to idle it is noticable. I recently change the lifters on that side soaking them in oil for two weeks. On first crank up after the assembly of the engine there is no noise but the longer it runs is when the noise is heard. Im running motorcraft 5-20 oil and the oil pump is a high volume pump from ford and my oil pressure is at recommend psi. I don't see any signs of a bent valve and the engine is in timing according to ford's specs when the engine was built. When driving there is no performace issues, no oil consumption, no SES light so this brings me to my question, anyone have any ideas on what it might be or what should be done?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Question Re: 2000 Gt valve Train Noise

Sound like you did some upgrades on some of the internal components. Have you rechecked your valve clearance. Sounds at this time that your'e going to need a master mechanic to help you pin point your problem. Me, I don't know much but just wanted to give you a little support. I have a 2002 GT and no problems so far (knock on wood) would hate to be stuck in a situation like yours. Much luck with your issue.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: 2000 Gt valve Train Noise

What does it sound like?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

valve clearance is find, scoped the inside of the cyn and no valves are hitting the piston. This noise is only on cyn 6, 7 and the noise sorta sounds like a diseal noise. I've changed the lifters and the the rocker arms are new and there is no sign of the cam hitting the valve cover. Its diffently in the valve train and no in the lower half of the engine. Someone has said that on the lobes of the cam they might have worn a little to where the cam is not touching the rollar rocker and as the lobe comes around it is slightly slaping the rollar on the rocker arm. He said it could be fixed by shimming the lifter up to take up the gap, any input on this. This is not a exhaust noise or anything else because the engine is new with all new components besides the cam and crank sprocket. The cam sprockets are only 15k miles on them and the lifters on the driver are the old ones but are still good because I had the same noise with the new ones I put in when I built the engine. Could the noise be a rocker arm ?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Rocker arm or cam lobe. I think it is best to check the cam for wear on the lobe.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

okie so I took the valve cover and to check for wear and nothing looks out of spec according to the feeler gauge. There is no space between the lobe of the cam and the roller rocker. I have swapped the valve lashers or lifters and the noise didn't change. None of the rocker arms are loose when I try to move them and the lifters aren't spongy when I try to push down on them. They are getting oil and priming because I remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over and noticed oil coming from the tip if the lifter. Is it possible that it is a rocker arm that is the problem here and what to look for if I tear it down? I was going to swap the rocker arms with the old ones and see if the noise goes away, any thoughts on this?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
What kind of oil are you running. Maybe 1 grade thicker would help. And I use amsoil
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

10w-40...everthing is getting oil because when I take the valve covers off and spin the engine w.o the fuel pump running everything is getting oil including the valve lashes.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #9

I think I know what you are talking about, I just recently rebuilt my motor and put cams in as well and on my driver side there was a lot of noise, well it only lasted to days then my car really messed up, I tore the engine down And all except 3 valves were bent and there was 4 rocker arms were off, the cam gear had broke and cam was really messed up.. The passenger side was completely fine and there was no damage to the pistons but I had to get new heads... I still haven't figured out exactly what happened but I'm about to finish tomorrow so I will let you know if it still does it because I have heard that if you do a big cam it can have valvetrain noise
01slwgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well the heads are new that have been CNC ported and i have upgraded to the comp cams behive valve springs. If I have bent valves then wouldn't there be smoking, performance problems or something? When I rev it up over 2200 the noise is gone. Did yours smoke, back fire, or etc showing a sign of a problem other then noise? I have turned the motor over with the valve covers off and the lobes on the cam are hitting the rockers in the right spot and the valves are going down all the same way so that has been ruled out. Thanks for the reply thou tell me how it goes because i beleave in your problem it might have started with the cam gear breaking and some of the valves slightly hitting the pistons forcing them to bend just by what you described but it could be possible in mine as well. Im going to have someone look at it to see what they beleave it is before I take it down again.The only thing that I can say it is right now is that the cam is noisy either because its bad because you can place a hearing scope anywhere in the head to hear the noise but if you place it on the bottom half of the block the noise isn't noticeable.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Amsoil 5w30 and if that don't work go 10w30..... But stick with amsoil
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT