New parts ordered! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
New parts ordered!

I just received the Kenny Brown Matrix Kit and ordered the H&R race springs with new isolators! I have an IRS brace already! Anything else I might need to install all this?

drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to MustangMafia97
Re: New parts ordered!

If you have access to a lift is what I recommend, removing the rear stock springs is a little challenge, of course the fronts aren't a walk in the park either. You will have to undo about 4 bolts on each side in the rear to replace the springs.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

i know christmas is not for another couple of weeks thanks... you need my address?
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you have CC plates? If not pick up a set of them from maximummotorsports, are the new isolators polyurathane? If so send them back and pick up OEM ones or reuse your stock one as the Poly ones raise the car up about .5 inches vs OEM isolators so you wont get as good of a drop.

are the subframe connectors weld in? They should be so a shop can knock that out for you. it has to be done a drive on lift (well not HAS to be but I would highly recommend it as on a 4 post it has to be done so the gaps are perfect before you weld)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop1234 View Post
i know christmas is not for another couple of weeks thanks... you need my address?
LOL
Old 12-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMafia97 View Post
If you have access to a lift is what I recommend, removing the rear stock springs is a little challenge, of course the fronts aren't a walk in the park either. You will have to undo about 4 bolts on each side in the rear to replace the springs.
He has an IRS not a live axle, but still its just about the same difference. Unbolt the exhaust hangers or take the catback off if you perfer.

Use a jack and take pressure off the lower control arm and then remove the lower shock bolts on each side

Remove the back IRS frame bolts one on each side. I think thats it, lower the IRS (must have it supported before removing the frame bolts) and the springs fall out. Reverse process to install. Now is the time to install button head rear IRS frame bolts
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you have CC plates? If not pick up a set of them from maximummotorsports, are the new isolators polyurathane? If so send them back and pick up OEM ones or reuse your stock one as the Poly ones raise the car up about .5 inches vs OEM isolators so you wont get as good of a drop.

are the subframe connectors weld in? They should be so a shop can knock that out for you. it has to be done a drive on lift (well not HAS to be but I would highly recommend it as on a 4 post it has to be done so the gaps are perfect before you weld)
SpectorV,

No I have not ordered the CC plates! What are these and where to they go? Yes I order the polyurethane type isolators, ****! Really? they rise back up? that sucks. So just use the ones on there? the car only has 21K miles on it! They should be good I guess. GOOD TIP BTW.

Yes I have the Kenny Brown Matrix kit and it states that they need to be welded in. It will be done at ZZP were I get all my parts for my SSEI. They have talented welder at ZZP and am very happy with all the work they have done for me in the past and my best bud works there as shop manager.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear iso.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	22354

Click image for larger version

Name:	front iso.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	22355
Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Caster Camber (CC) Plates go on the front shock towers in the engine bay. They allow for adjustment of camber and caster to either enhance cornering/handling, or bring the car back to proper specs to prevent uneven tire wear and unecessary stress on the rest of your suspension components.

PM John at NQS...he's a site sponsor and carries Maximum Motorsports CC Plates which are the best out there. I would definitely get the 4 bolt plates.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

CC plates are definalty a MUST.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
It already starts the mods for the cobra. I would do the same. Take the winter now. I am completely doing my inside

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet! Thanks guys! So I should get the caster camber plates shown below. Is there anything else I need to make these work with the stock struts?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

those look perfect, but you need to call MM and tell them those are the ones you are going to put on your 03 cobra and to get you the right dust boots (probably already know but make sure you are getting the right ones as they are different)\

just send back those isolators, they will raise the car up about .25-.5 inches~ OEM ones are perfectly fine. I have both OEM isolators in the back on mine and I have one I left out in the front.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
those look perfect, but you need to call MM and tell them those are the ones you are going to put on your 03 cobra and to get you the right dust boots (probably already know but make sure you are getting the right ones as they are different)\

just send back those isolators, they will raise the car up about .25-.5 inches~ OEM ones are perfectly fine. I have both OEM isolators in the back on mine and I have one I left out in the front.
SpectorV,

Thanks again! You and the other guys are most helpful! I want everything to be perfect on my Cobra. I will for sure return the isolators because I want the same stance as what i see on your ride. It's just perfect! DO you have the CC Plates on yours?

regards,
Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just a quick thought!

Do I really need the CC plates? I am not going to be racing on any road courses. I am more of a point and shot kind of guy. Seems this may put unnecessary wear on my tires................. Or is it just to have them.....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Ford didnt really give any adjustment for camber on the Mustangs with the stock setup. As the car lowers due to the A Arm design the top of the tire tucks in. Since your car will be 2 inches lower always (or how ever much the drop gives) then the tires will always be tucked inward more due to the suspension geometry.

Once you go much more than an inch (every car is different) it becomes out of specification. Since you cant adjust the stock camber (in/out angle) you have to use aftermarket caster/camber plates to allow you to put it back to stock specifications.

You could technically install the springs and see if it can be aligned but I doubt it will be. If it cant be you will have to pay to have the CC plates installed or do the work yourself which is just about like doing springs in a few ways.

Might as well get it all done at once, should save on labor. The CC plates are under 200 bucks and are a high quality unit and look great as well.

They allow for GREAT camber/caster adjustment. The top plate can be fliped side to side on the maximum motorsports units to allow more negative camber for cars that are dropped more or those that simply want more negative camber.

With the H&R race I think you should consider CC plates. Also when you lower the car the strut is pushed into the strut body more all the time (car is lower all the time now) the CC plates from MM let the strut come up a bit more to take some of that back out so this helps as well a bit~

Thats mainly what they are for and not for handling performance, just for the ability to align the car easier/better. Without them you will eat away the inside of your tires much quicker.

I have MM 4 bolt CC plates (only ones they sell that I know of) and I love them, they require a new hold to be drilled but its not bad.

get with the sponsor on the forum they can get you a good deal on a set I am sure. link http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...-2/#post804548

upon installation keep in mind the TQ specs MM provides and ALL the steps given. Also, the top plate is flipable for more/less camber so keep this in mind as well. I am sure it talks about it in the installation info.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That was the answer I was looking for! Thank you SpectorV! I will purchase them as well. Besides, its only money, you can always make more.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

also ask them about the strut dust boots for the 03/04 cobras as they are different and needed (and you DONT want to have to put them on later lol they need to go on as the springs or rather CC plates go in)
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I will call them today and I will make sure I mention the strut boots.

Do you ever head north for any car shows during the summer months? I would like to meet up sometime and buy you a beer for all your help.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

As I said on another thread, you probably want to look into getting a bumpsteer kit too
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I go up into TN and such now and again. Hopefully we can get another ME.com meet together somewhere and all get together and hang out... cruise maybe?? many idea can be come up with im sure.

Helping is part of what makes a Mustang a great car to have and what makes it the most popular car club type. I only learned what little I know from asking myself so its payback lol.

Ive never had any issues with bump steer (bumps in the road causing the car to steer itself) but if you do as said get a bump steer kit to fix the geometry of the tire rod/a arms.

its odd how some cars have it and some dont, road conditions are a factor here as well im sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
its odd how some cars have it and some dont, road conditions are a factor here as well im sure.
I'm sure living in Louisiana doesn't help things.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

true, around here the roads are not bad other than a few areas on the interstate that suck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT