Owners of Kenne bell: What would you reccommend? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
Owners of Kenne bell: What would you reccommend?

Anyone that owns a Kenne bell supercharger, would you still reccommend it or would you take a different path?

I wanted a hellion turbo system but they are a little steep and I know all of the extras that are usually required with turbo kits for drivability and reliabilty which can make them even more expensive.

The Kenne bell superchargers seem top notch but I don't own one.

So basically, if you had to do it again, what would you do or not do differently?

I was looking at the 9 psi intercooled kit for an 01' GT 5speed
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Owners of Kenne bell: What would you reccommend?

The only problem with adding any power adder like that is you get used to the power fairly quickly and will be looking for the next speed fix...I absolutely love the roots/twin screw blowers and the insta-boost is quite addicting.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo
Anyone that owns a Kenne bell supercharger, would you still reccommend it or would you take a different path?

I wanted a hellion turbo system but they are a little steep and I know all of the extras that are usually required with turbo kits for drivability and reliabilty which can make them even more expensive.

The Kenne bell superchargers seem top notch but I don't own one.

So basically, if you had to do it again, what would you do or not do differently?

I was looking at the 9 psi intercooled kit for an 01' GT 5speed
I have a kb, it is bad ***. I would definitely recommend the intercooled version. You can't go wrong with it. You will grin!!

Mods: Kenne Bell 2.2H, Fore return system, SCT tuned, 26 spline input shaft, and DSS Pro-level axles.

http://www.facebook.com/LangsStangs
lxlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Road Trip!

How were the instructions?

Did you need a fuel return kit?

Did you go 1 or 2 stages colder with your spark plugs?

The biggest thing I am curious about is the chip/piggy back you add to the ECU for the tuning. They said they will know $100 off if I don't get it and just have someone tune it with my SCT tuner.

My experiences with forced induction tell me that there is no substitute for full dyno tuning and tunes that are often offered with turbo or supercharger kits should only be used as a base map or starting point.

And I know there is no magic number but what does everyone feel is safe and what is risky for a stock motor? Kenne bell is telling me to stay below 450whp.

I can only compare this to my 08 Civic si sedan. I have put down 400whp on stock internals and stock clutch and 520whp with a stage 4 clutch disc but with stock pressure plate and race gas.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
The only problem with adding any power adder like that is you get used to the power fairly quickly and will be looking for the next speed fix...I absolutely love the roots/twin screw blowers and the insta-boost is quite addicting.
I will second that one ..... I am running their 2.8h mammoth and is looking to upgrade to their 3.6LC it becomes very addicting. As far as happy with it ... I am very satisfied with Kenne Bell they have a great product.
GT1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post
How were the instructions?

Did you need a fuel return kit?

Did you go 1 or 2 stages colder with your spark plugs?

The biggest thing I am curious about is the chip/piggy back you add to the ECU for the tuning. They said they will know $100 off if I don't get it and just have someone tune it with my SCT tuner.

My experiences with forced induction tell me that there is no substitute for full dyno tuning and tunes that are often offered with turbo or supercharger kits should only be used as a base map or starting point.

And I know there is no magic number but what does everyone feel is safe and what is risky for a stock motor? Kenne bell is telling me to stay below 450whp.

I can only compare this to my 08 Civic si sedan. I have put down 400whp on stock internals and stock clutch and 520whp with a stage 4 clutch disc but with stock pressure plate and race gas.
I run NGK TR6 plugs at about a .028 gap. It is easy to install, maybe 4-8 hours depending on your skills. I would definitely get a custom tune. I did the return style because I am a Fore dealer and wanted to get something i could grow in to with my future upgrades, but it is not needed at all. I have Don Lasota do my tuning via email, I do all my own datalogging and he gives me my base tunes, he is bad ***.

I would only get the intercooled one if I were you. We have installed Saleen, KB, Whipple, vortech, paxton, prochargers, they are all good. I like the TS style blowers, especially on the 4.6's. As for longevity, the 4.6 Saleen kit, he blew 7 rods out of the side of the block on 14 psi in an 05 GT. Now he has a real motor, so he has upped the ante a bit.

Mods: Kenne Bell 2.2H, Fore return system, SCT tuned, 26 spline input shaft, and DSS Pro-level axles.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

whipple

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Road Trip!

what is good about the whipple and who makes them?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i dont believe whipple makes a blower for the GT, only cobra.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith

Kenne bell Baby! I love my KB2.2! It screams! the supporting mods and 600hp makes me smile every time I drive my Cobra! Whipple is good too! Honestly you will be happy with either 2. Hellion turbo kits are sick, but i am not sure about dependability!
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Road Trip!

I think the lowest KB offered is the 2.1l so I think that's what I am going with. My stock clutch in my civic held 420whp so I am wondering if I need a clutch at all in my mustang?

If I did, I just thought a stage 2 would be good but I'm not sure
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

for a street car I think a roots or twin screw (they are different) is a good way to go due to the power on demand. You wont have to rev it all the way up to enjoy the extra power.

For a 99-04 GT your limit is only 400-450rwhp so if you can be happy with that then go for it, otherwise take into account the amount of money to build the motor (right) and then see if the total investment is worth it and if it is then go for it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Yeah I think 400whp is good for a street car. More than that is only useable in triple digit speeds. When I have the boost that high in my civic I spin 3 gears so I expect the same in my mustang.

I was thinking about the 9 or 10 psi pulley for the 400whp intercooled but was most concerned with the "chip" that KB offers. They were calling it a piggyback. I typically don't like piggybacks and always suggest flashing the factory ecu. Sometimes ECU's will fight what the piggyback is trying to do.

I don't know why KB won't just offer an sct tune
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

My only complaint about KB is that the larger blowers don't scream like the 2.2L did. With that said, I love my 2.2L and wouldn't change my decision to get one. Took me 5 years to finally pull the plug and get one...but very glad I did.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Yeah I think 400whp is good for a street car. More than that is only useable in triple digit speeds. When I have the boost that high in my civic I spin 3 gears so I expect the same in my mustang.

I was thinking about the 9 or 10 psi pulley for the 400whp intercooled but was most concerned with the "chip" that KB offers. They were calling it a piggyback. I typically don't like piggybacks and always suggest flashing the factory ecu. Sometimes ECU's will fight what the piggyback is trying to do.

I don't know why KB won't just offer an sct tune
in a RWD car, especially one with the weight of the Mustang, 400rwhp is fine for a daily driver. Somewhere between 400-500 is a good area to be in for a street car with street tires. Mine has no issues driving unless its cold out.

front wheel drive cars well... they have major issues just due to the design
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
in a RWD car, especially one with the weight of the Mustang, 400rwhp is fine for a daily driver. Somewhere between 400-500 is a good area to be in for a street car with street tires. Mine has no issues driving unless its cold out.

front wheel drive cars well... they have major issues just due to the design
I hear ya....weight transfer is not in my favor with my civic.

Venom, isn't the KB kits 2.1 now and not 2.2?

And did you get a tune or use the chip from KB? I've never seen an off the shelf tune that was perfect
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Road Trip!

KB says they have a 2.1 or 2.6 kit. If I wanted 10psi would it matter which blower unit I had? Would it be like a bigger turbo with increased lag if I had the 2.6 blower unit?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Check out outlaw motorsports on the corral. He is selling the custom bent hot side piping to fit the edge cars and everything you need including turbo for 2600.00. This is a complete new kit ready for install rated at 700 hp.... More than stock internal can handle. I checked it out thoroughly and he is serious. Everything you need is included. Go to the power adders classified and he is there
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

A bigger blower will give you more hp at lower boost.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1000 View Post
A bigger blower will give you more hp at lower boost.
Well that seems like the way to go then. If that's true....Are you sure about that.

Less boost is less cylinder pressure which means less knock and lessens the requirement for higher octane fuel.

I find that hard to believe though because then why would they offer the smaller blower unit?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Superchargers use engine power to generate boost larger superchargers as in kenne bells case run more efficiently and so they use less engine power to run tge same boost.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
KB says they have a 2.1 or 2.6 kit. If I wanted 10psi would it matter which blower unit I had? Would it be like a bigger turbo with increased lag if I had the 2.6 blower unit?
The kit for my car were never 2.1. I bought mine used tho so it doesn't matter. The kits for the 2 valves and 5.0 were different than the 03/04 cobras as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #23

I would definitely go with Kenne bell, I used to want a procharger but now I'm looking into them and gettin ready to buy one and I've come to find out that Kenne bell is the best way to go in my opinion. I plan on pushin around 600 to the wheel after it's all said and done tho.. But yea the old Kenne bells did whine a lot louder and that's what I like the most about root style blowers
01slwgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Does anyone know at what point the factory clutch will start to slip?

I just don't know if I need to order one right off the bat when I order the Kenne bell kit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT