Can't Decide - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang
Can't Decide

I recently purchased a Mach 1. Bought it used a few months back and was smart enough the day after to get a new fuel filter and plugs installed at Stang-Hi along with a new different tune from my last SCT tuner. Besides a few appearance upgrades I carried over from my last stang it is STOCK. Now what I can't decide is either to do exhaust first or a C&L 85mm Mach induction system from Stang-Hi's site w/ a new tune/reflash?

If exhaust, I was told by the same guys that I HAD to get Magnaflow "Magnapacks" because it would sound awesome... but I have been looking on many sites with other Mach owners... and no one really has this. I just really need some advice on what catback to go with along with and H or X (catted or no). I want it to be loud... but not RIDICULOUS. I live in the suburbs and work late into the morning.

My original thoughts were to get the Magnapacks and just keep the stock mid. But ya I know... no high flow cats...does this make a difference? Would no cats be TOO loud? i don't wanna spend more than $600 on a catback and I'm wondering if I can install this in my garage with jackstands?

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Can't Decide

I don't know about the magnapacks but you should be able to install it yourself. I think no cats would be alright as long as you don't have emission testing.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

I heard a Mach 1 with magnapacks and an offroad xpipe and it wasn't that loud unless you got on it but yea it does sound really good! I would really look into bassani or slp tho as well, I have slp loudmouth 1s on mine with an offroad xpipe with shorty headers and I absolutely love the way it sounds, but i have some high flo cats Sittin at my house and I'm thinking about putting them on to quiet it down a little
01slwgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Emission testing is not a problem. And Bassani is like $750. I listened to the SLP loudmouth and I hated it- but the SLP Power-Flo wasn't bad.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
Old 12-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #5

Well 2v and 4v do sound different, but bassani does make the best exhaust for mustangs though and I definitely think it's worth it
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think the magnapacks would be a good choice for the money. I definately think they can be had for way cheaper than what cody offers unless he is installing them as well. I love the borlas but they are up there in price. The good part is you can add the mid pipe later and not have to mess with the catback like with the sixxers. So id say just go ahead with a nice catback for now. And you should know how install is. If you need an extra hand let me know. I do owe you that.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think you should do exhaust first. Borla stingers if you can afford them and an off-road x. My buddies mach has a bassani x and stingers and it makes me want a 4v pretty bad.

-Daniel
2000 Vert, 4.6 SOHC swap, old set-up intercooled s-trim @11lbs..New setup-5.0 stroker, stage 2 heads, kenne bell 2.2l with a 2.75"
daniel302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
The magnapacks will sound just like my borla stingers. They are the same style bullet muffler. You'll be good to go with it. It sounds good with the stock mid pipe and sounds like my car with an offroad midpipe.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey if I order them I'm gonna need a place to ship them. I have no apartment and no place to send it.
Ya I could definitely use the help to make it go faster. I think I am going to order the Exhaust at the new year and have it shipped hopefully to Robs house. I'll hit u up Robert when we are gonna put it on- just like old times!
Ya Cody is charging $595 for the catback and $202.50 for installation... which would take 10 mins on his lift.... what a rip off. it even says that price is with a $197 discount. I guess if your want it done by Stang-Hi bad enough, you'll pay the money. suckers! lol

Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Is the $140 difference between the Magnaflow Magnapacks and the Borla stingers worth it??? I mean in a week I can totally afford Borla instead of the Magnapacks. But hell no to the Bassani.... should I do it?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #11

Your really just paying for the name on it even tho the magnapacks are a little different from Borla mufflers
Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUstang View Post
Is the $140 difference between the Magnaflow Magnapacks and the Borla stingers worth it??? I mean in a week I can totally afford Borla instead of the Magnapacks. But hell no to the Bassani.... should I do it?
Well id listen to rob. If he said they'll sound the same. You could use that for a cai or something instead. Did you check american muscle? I know I've seen them cheaper than that.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya American Muscle has Borlas for $585... Which I just ordered!!!! I find myself extraordinarily excited! Now the waiting begins.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone seems to LOVE my Flomasters with bbk offroad xpipe.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #15

Post up a video of it when you get it on there!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Tracking info has it coming in on the third of January. But hey- free shipping! I'll definitely get a vid to post when the time comes. I think Rob has a camera w/ video

Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
I called magnaflow on my 99 GT they told me that the magnapacks and the x pipe would be too loud. They suggested going with the 3 inch x pipe and then the standard magnaflow system and I like the way my stang sings now. It has the rumble and the guts to make ricers shake on the grid.

I will not put anything under my stang again but magnaflows and their lifetime warranty against rust is out of this world. But of course this is my opinion.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #18

Region: New Mexico
Hi there I have a 2004 Mach 1 and here is what i have done with my car
1. Flowmasters with h pipe x pipe to raspy
2. Sct tuner with my custom tune
3. C&L complete air kit
4. Steeda clutch cable
5. Set TPS to .99 voltage
6. 160@ t-stat
Current 1/4?mile time 12.54 @ 111mph
That should work great for you my next upgrade is new crower cams with full length headers and porting the heads and intake
roger306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger306 View Post
Hi there I have a 2004 Mach 1 and here is what i have done with my car
1. Flowmasters with h pipe x pipe to raspy
2. Sct tuner with my custom tune
3. C&L complete air kit
4. Steeda clutch cable
5. Set TPS to .99 voltage
6. 160@ t-stat
Current 1/4?mile time 12.54 @ 111mph
That should work great for you my next upgrade is new crower cams with full length headers and porting the heads and intake
X is too raspy? Was it offroad? - I really have never liked the sound of an X-pipe- always have had a H

Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #20

Yea off road h pipe is the way to go
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #21

I have never heard a 4v that was raspy... And I've seen a lot of them...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #22

I have we have a 03 Mach 1 in the house that sounds that way after 4k
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger306 View Post
Yea off road h pipe is the way to go
I would have to disagree with this comment. Kind of a vague comment. I have yet to hear one person say my bassani catted x pipe fitted with a bassani catback doesn't sound good. My exhaust isn't raspy one bit, I guess every exhaust combo is different and engine plays a role in sound too.

My first time buying bassani and likely will never buy a different brand again.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91GTstroked View Post
I would have to disagree with this comment. Kind of a vague comment. I have yet to hear one person say my bassani catted x pipe fitted with a bassani catback doesn't sound good. My exhaust isn't raspy one bit, I guess every exhaust combo is different and engine plays a role in sound too.

My first time buying bassani and likely will never buy a different brand again.
Well I think not having cats is the problem. Although I love the sound of the o/r x on all v8 mustangs
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I had an offroad x and now have an offroad h. The h sounds a lot better to me. The x wasn't bad and I will probably go back to one if I do long tubes, but the h just sound much better to me.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #26

There's a reason why 95% of people who own mustangs get xpipes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #27
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01slwgt View Post
Because the name sounds cooler?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

HAHAHAHA I hope not. I'm with Rob. Sticking with the H. The X might not be so bad with cats.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #29

No xpipes make more all around hp and hpipes make better torque
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Well the Mach1 has some great torque.
=)

Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #31

Well yea 4v cars pull like crazy anyway lol but i guess it's more of a personal preference cuz an xpipe does make the car sound a little more raspy than an hpipe, but personally I think an xpipe is better cuz it flows better since it never goes through the h
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Really an open discussion, and can't go wrong with either. But for my 03 cobra I only see two brands that offer a h pipe, JBA and BBK. Every other brand offers a x pipe. Makes me wonder. No lack of tq on my car 480 ft/lbs!

Also there NO reason not to go with cats, except cost I guess. I don't like very loud exhaust so cats might help with that. Also there is very little if any hp lost running cats. If anything there might be a bit more tq with a highflow catted midpipe. At the very top of the pic you can see the highflow cats.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01slwgt View Post
You're right, it's because most only offer an x pipe. Not many h pipes out there to choose from. And with 600 rwhp at my disposal right now, I'm not overly concerned about the 2-3 I'm losing with having the h vs the x.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

How much difference is there between my stock mid and a catted H?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUstang View Post
How much difference is there between my stock mid and a catted H?
Probably not much since yours already has an h-pipe. Does yours have 6 or 4 cats? Id say maybe 5rwhp. Imo, I wouldn't change the mid-pipe unless you go o/r or your cats are bad. Why pay more for cats with less sound and performance

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT