CAI Question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Question CAI Question?

Is there much of a difference between having just a K&N Drop in filter and the stock housing and setup from factory compared to like a MAC CAI Chrome tubing and filter setup?

Is there much hp increase compared between the 2 setups, or is it just eye candy under the hood?

Thanks!
KrazyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Re: CAI Question?

mostly eye candy. the stock intake will flow a lot but it is the filter lid and silencer that restricts most of the air flow. the best cai's out are jlt, k&n, and c&l. the regular cai kits a good but have bad heat soak issues.
sweet2kstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Removing the silencer and the mass air flow screen, with a drop in K&N filter and you basically have a cold air intake. It will not be as good as a MAC or ebay intake, but the difference is not significant enough to notice So it's really just eye candy you may see 3 to 5 RWHP the big gain is in improved gas milage

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah the first thing I had done was removed that Air Silencer as most due when they purchase there Mustang, so wasnt sure if it was any better having one of the others or not since I have a K&N filter already in there as well.

there is so much stuff on the market anymore, its hard to tell...kinda like health products.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPony View Post
Is there much hp increase compared between the 2 setups, or is it just eye candy under the hood?Thanks!
honestly, a CAI doesn't even offer that much of a hp gain in the first place. even the differences between an expensive CAI and a cheap one are very small. unless you a lot of cash to toss around, i would go with the cheaper alternative. in the end, its just drops of water in a bucket.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would spend around 100 bucks~ for one... they are all about the same and really dont to much of anything... you MIGHT shave off a tenth of a second if you are lucky (probably not that much) and it will make the car sound a bit better (exhasut and engine) and you will help your gas mileage out a bit.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

not a real big difference having the cai. if it performed as well as it looks (the cai) that would be awesome. if you really don't have alot of cash to spend i wouldn't worry about it. i got my fenderwell mac cai for 50.00, too good a deal to pass up. BUT, our 4.6's need all the help they can get. all the little crap adds up. hope this helps....
white 98 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white 98 gt View Post
if it performed as well as it looks (the cai) that would be awesome.
I think if they did perform as well as they look, they would probably cost a whole lot more too.

Just thought I would ask, all I have on the car right now is a K&N Filter and MagnaFlow Mufflers...

figured it could'nt hurt to ask! I wish JLT wasnt so expensive would love to get a pipe that matches the car and maybe flames going up from the filter area to middle of the pipe.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i think the biggest thing youll notice is a slight change in exhaust note (more of a growl compared to a purr) and better throttle response. couple a real cai with a tb/plenum and you might gain a few ponies, slightly noticeable but unless you just feel like spending money and want to have a clean engine bay, its nothing to write home about.

i got the Demolet / Densecharger unit at one time. Metal pipes have horrible heat dissipating properties and retain heat, unlike their plastic counterparts. aluminum not so much but i dont think anyone out there sells aluminum intakes for our cars (maybe the C&L pieces are?). if you just get a short route intake that places the filter in the engine bay, and it does not come with a shield, then you will likely lose power, becuase youre now using the hot engine bay air, hotter air means the ecu throws less timing into the mix which equals less power, as well as hotter air being less dense. the stock intake also pulls air from the fender fyi, but its main downfall being the accordian tube which creates alot of turbulence, and the crap filter.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Sorry to jack this thread but I have two questions of my own. Well more like ideas. The first is to just find good quality ducting. Mustangworld.com (sorry for mentioning another site) has a How-To on a homemade CAI from PVC piping. I figured regular ducting would be lighter, more heat resistant, flexible and over all look better. The other idea was when people test aerodynamics they send air through honeycombs or honeycomb-like structures which helps create more of a stream and less turbulence. Think of it as a strainer. My idea was if we place one of these in the CAI to help air flow?

Opinions? Thoughts? Or am I just creating my own theories?
Oh and Patent pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

yes but whenever the air passes through the honeycomb, the act of re-arranging the flow acts as a restriction to airflow as well.

btw the demolet cai IS made of basically home depot PVC plumbing. it was two huge 5" elbows for the maf to fenderwell filter attachment, and from the maf to throttle body it was another tube. which is why it costs like $100 bucks as compared to the other guys using metal piping.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thomas - Do you have the Demolet for your GT? If so could you tell me where you purchased it, I was looking on Demolet's website and dont see any pics for it, but found a spot on there site you can order it for like $102.

If you have it, could you upload a picture and let me see it? On there site they only show pics of whats available for the 05+
Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I don't think I'll ever buy another intake...

Go to your local hardware store, pick up what you need, and build your own. Only thing you'll need after that is a filter.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cai