Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
Exclamation Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge

I was wondering how the A/F gauges work weather or not it is set up on on single or double set-up. Could you run two A/F gauges one for the right side and one for the left side. They need to be mounted in the first set of bung on the x-pipes, but does that replace two O2 sensors.

This is what I am looking to get. I have a dounble gauge pillar don't have a turbo, nos, or s/c so this would fit. What would you put in there. Need help?

AEM 6-in-1 Gauge-Type UEGO Controller [30-4100] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge

most all on the market are just light shows and are not to be trusted, the sensor is very important to the setup and has to be changed regularly with a good brand etc etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
most all on the market are just light shows and are not to be trusted, the sensor is very important to the setup and has to be changed regularly with a good brand etc etc
+1

the only good a/f gauges are at the dyno. every person i know that has on say that it's not accurate worth a crap. the gauges look cool as hell at night though

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

That is what I thought then I found this one and it came highly recommended from my dyno shop if I would like one. I think the stand alone ones are more accurate.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania

The AEM wideband UEGO is calibrated and accurate. They have vids on you tube to show you how sensitive they are.

The sweeping LED's are just to see at a glance the the old cheaper narrow band did. They just showed you rich to lean but didn't put a number on it like the new widebands do.

I've noticed the knowledge on forced induction is a little weak over here on the mustang forums compared to the import ones. I guess becuase forced induction is not as common since you don't really need it to make big power becuase these cars have v8's anyway compared to the 4 bangers that the imports typically have.

But ask anyone with a high boost turbo or supercharger if there wideband guage is for show and they will tell you that it surely is not.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some A/F gauges the sensor is the main weak link. The issue there is some sensors start reading bad and you really never fully now if its good or bad etc... how would you? Some sensors (the more expensive ones) either work right or dont work at all. you should also change your sensor regularly.

Most dynoed change their sensors (one for each pipe) every 20-30 dyno pulls.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Most dynoed change their sensors (one for each pipe) every 20-30 dyno pulls.
I have not heard this. My Autometer wideband was $330 and the replacement sensor is about 200 bucks. You may not need to change the factory O2 sensor in your car for 100k miles. The wide band sensors from Autometer and AEM are no different.

Most new cars now have wideband sensors that are used to measure closed loop operations instead of narrowband sensors of yesteryear. My 2008 civic has a factory wideband and I wanted to put an aftermarket wideband in so I could monitor A/F ratios. When I data log I can see the stock 02 sensor and the Autometer one I put in and they read virtually identical. This is also the case with the cheaper AEM wideband that I put in my WRX.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post
The AEM wideband UEGO is calibrated and accurate. They have vids on you tube to show you how sensitive they are.

The sweeping LED's are just to see at a glance the the old cheaper narrow band did. They just showed you rich to lean but didn't put a number on it like the new widebands do.

I've noticed the knowledge on forced induction is a little weak over here on the mustang forums compared to the import ones. I guess becuase forced induction is not as common since you don't really need it to make big power becuase these cars have v8's anyway compared to the 4 bangers that the imports typically have.

But ask anyone with a high boost turbo or supercharger if there wideband guage is for show and they will tell you that it surely is not.
i dont think we know less, we just dont have to do as much to our cars (v8 stangs) to support boost (5-14lbs). maybe import ppl do have to know a lil more, cause it takes alot more effort to support similar boost levels on an import. im not claiming to be an expert in the world of imports, but my honda friends seem to put more money and effort to run 6psi, than the time and effort i had to put in to run 11psi on my stang.

that's just my opinion. i suppose you do make a good argument on wideband for ppl running high boost levels, and when you say high boost, im assuming you mean more than 1 bar/atmosphere

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT