Does the grade of gas really matter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Region: Washington
Does the grade of gas really matter?

While I'm not new to mustangs, this is my first V8, let alone a roush. Does it really matter what grade of gas I use in the car? I'm currently using mid-grade.
2002roushstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Does the grade if gas really matter?

Mid grade is good if you are driving it all the time. I always put 92 in the Cobra (because I'm anal), midgrade in the g/f's GT, and good ol 87 in the Contour. Always at BP or Shell though.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

If the car is stock regular 87 is perfectly fine. Anything higher than that is a waste of money.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Look in the owner's manual. Mine says that it will run on 87+, but for optimum performance, use 91+.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

You should always use the recommended grade of fuel by the manufacture unless tuned or modified. You see no and I mean no gains by using a fuel with a higher octane unless tuned accordingly.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Here in Canada they don't pollute premium gasoline with ethanol so I use premium but I also leave the 93 octane tune loaded up. Premium fuel is overkill if you font need it and to be honest regular gas has more energy in it
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Here in Canada they don't pollute premium gasoline with ethanol so I use premium but I also leave the 93 octane tune loaded up. Premium fuel is overkill if you font need it and to be honest regular gas has more energy in it
If you can find a pump without ethanol then that is more than likely your best choice.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The manual states regular for a stock tune...anything higher is a waste of money for a stock gt...now with a tune and mods then run what it i's retuned for. It's been proven.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib
The manual states regular for a stock tune...anything higher is a waste of money for a stock gt...now with a tune and mods then run what it i's retuned for. It's been proven.
I agree...if you don't need premium there really isn't any point in buying it. Unless like here you have the ethanol factor.... My car runs better on shell v-power but it could just be in my head
Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Does the grade of gas really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002roushstang View Post
While I'm not new to mustangs, this is my first V8, let alone a roush. Does it really matter what grade of gas I use in the car? I'm currently using mid-grade.
midgrade or hightest,are the best
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I use 93 octane cuz i feel like it runs better

2002 Gt Mustang - Built 2 Valve
"Real cars don't power the front wheels...they lift them"
stangstar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
midgrade or hightest,are the best
They are the best, if you like wasting money.

To the OP. Yes it is important what grade of fuel you use.

Use what the manual suggests. Or if you are running a tune then run what the parameters of the tune suggests.....I hate these threads.

Octane rating is the fuels ability to resist knock or pre-ignition. So unless you've advanced the ignition timing from stock or leaned out the fuel for more power there is no need for higher octane fuel over what is reccommended period.

Some cars have ECU's which actively ****** or advance timing based on what knock sensors are seeing. The 2V engines do not have knock sensors so they don't utilize this technology. I don't know about the cobra motors tho.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangstar92 View Post
I use 93 octane cuz i feel like it runs better
It doesn't.

The butt dyno is the worst one of them all.

If the 87 octane wasn't knocking then niether will the 93. And your ignition tables won't change so there for the car will not "run better" as you say.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Chick Nasty

if ur supercharged i would go for the premium....i put premium in mine and im not s/c ...just a prefence on wut u like best
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

With it being a Roush stang I'd say its tuned for at least mid-grade or premium but I could be wrong. I know my SVT Focus is supose to have 91-93 octane but I run 89 in it and it runs pretty good no pings.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Nasty View Post
if ur supercharged i would go for the premium....i put premium in mine and im not s/c ...just a prefence on wut u like best
This is pointless advise. I still don't know why people say these things.

If you are supercharged then use what is reccommended in the owners manual. They had the motor on a dyno way more than you ever will.

Chick nasty if you use premium and arent running a tune that advances the ignition timing to make better use of the fuel's higher octane rating you are getting no benefits and raising the operating costs of your car.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo

They are the best, if you like wasting money.

To the OP. Yes it is important what grade of fuel you use.

Use what the manual suggests. Or if you are running a tune then run what the parameters of the tune suggests.....I hate these threads.

Octane rating is the fuels ability to resist knock or pre-ignition. So unless you've advanced the ignition timing from stock or leaned out the fuel for more power there is no need for higher octane fuel over what is reccommended period.

Some cars have ECU's which actively ****** or advance timing based on what knock sensors are seeing. The 2V engines do not have knock sensors so they don't utilize this technology. I don't know about the cobra motors tho.
Cobras do have knock sensors in the mod motors. And I use shell v power because every other fuel I have tried before the 93 octane tune made my car run rough and hesitate and even stall. I tried them all and that seems to work best for me. Your right about being a waste of money if your car doesn't need it but mine seemed to need it. To the op. Use whatever you are comfortable with
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post

If you are supercharged then use what is reccommended in the owners manual. They had the motor on a dyno way more than you ever will.

Chick nasty if you use premium and arent running a tune that advances the ignition timing to make better use of the fuel's higher octane rating you are getting no benefits and raising the operating costs of your car.
i am running that tune ....
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post

From MustangEvolution: Does the grade of gas really matter?

SOOOO this manual says for a stock GT? maybe different advise for an s/c engine?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The only thing that matters to me is 100% gasoline I use regular octane with 100% gas in my v8 and it's over 130k and still loving life
Any fuel additives(ethanol, vpower, etc) in my opinion just confuse your poor little pony
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGT
The only thing that matters to me is 100% gasoline I use regular octane with 100% gas in my v8 and it's over 130k and still loving life
Any fuel additives(ethanol, vpower, etc) in my opinion just confuse your poor little pony
Ethanol sucks. And I thought v-power was just a marketing name/gimmick. My car runs great on it tho so I won't be changing brands...if I was in British Columbia I would be using chevron....made my car a rocket
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

As was stated before.

If your car is in stock form and you run any octane other than recommended you are doing no good.

My cobra runs on 93 octane because it was specifically tuned for 93 octane on my current setup.

The rest of our cars run on 87 octane and never have any issues.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
With it being a Roush stang I'd say its tuned for at least mid-grade or premium but I could be wrong. I know my SVT Focus is supose to have 91-93 octane but I run 89 in it and it runs pretty good no pings.
Roush Stage 1 + Stage 2's did not include any tuning to the ECU. A Cold Air Intake and Side Exit Exhaust was standard options, neither of them required a retune.

Roush Stage 1 + Stage 2's in stock configuration still use regular unleaded.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My car specifically says use premium gasoline so that's what I put in it since the day I got it. I follow the guidelines FORD has put in my owners manuel
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

I agree...if you don't need premium there really isn't any point in buying it. Unless like here you have the ethanol factor.... My car runs better on shell v-power but it could just be in my head
I have the same feeling, I feel better response when I use shell 89 over regular 87
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport

I have the same feeling, I feel better response when I use shell 89 over regular 87
Ditto...even shell regular makes my car hesitate. This is one of those if it ain't broke things. I used to run co-op fuels but 1tank of v power and I ain't looking back
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Ditto...even shell regular makes my car hesitate. This is one of those if it ain't broke things. I used to run co-op fuels but 1tank of v power and I ain't looking back
No doubt!
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you bump the timing up you have to use 93 or you'll spark knock. On the new 2011 Gt's they have variable cam timing. So you can use 87 and the car tones itself down, but when you use 93 it wakes the beast inside WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #29
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

aww man...you guys are crack'n me up!!! my car is supercharged so i run 92-93. my car seems run smoother when i mix race fuel or aviation fuel with the premium pump gas. im not keen on the idea of burning or shattering pistons so i cant comment on the power difference on running 87 octane.

however, before i added the blower. i didnt notice any difference in hp from running 87 or 93 octane fuel with a built motor. and like every other push rod guy, i was running 14 degrees of advance.

on the flip side, my old z-28 said premium only...i wont say it hesitated and ran like crap on 87...but it definatley had more punch with premium.

definatley go with the manufacturer or tuners recomendations, or at least know your compression ratio...anything else though, your prolly waste'n money.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT