Help for a new member - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Help for a new member

Hey guys, I'm a U.S. Marine that's getting deployed in May to Afghanistan and I had a few questions about my 2000 Mustang both when I'm away and when I come back.
1) What are some ways that I can preserve the car and make sure it stays in as best a condition as possible while I'm away. (It's a 1 year deployment)

2) When I come back, what are some good starter upgrades to increase it's HP and such (It's a V6 with only 48K and everything is stock).

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a lot.
-LCPL Ahern
CPL Ahern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Re: Help for a new member

Welcome! thanks for doing what you do, man.

And you can keep it in a storage unit while you're away. You'll just have to pay for it monthly. I'm not sure about cost because they come in different sizes.

Also, for first mods on a V6... hmm... you could get a CAI (Cold air intake) even though it doesn't do a whole lot for hp, it's a popular first mod.

If you want to do gears and a tune that would give you a little more push for sure. Lowering the suspension would also give it much better handling.

Hope I was some help!

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, thanks a lot for the advice =]. Now when you say gears and a tune, what does that mean specifically? I'm a bit new when it comes to upgrades and I don't really know the 'terms' lol. I've been looking at Cold Air Intakes for a while and wasn't sure about which brand names are better either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Other

They do come in different sizes......
Seriously though, if you don't have a garage to store it in, a storage unit is a good idea. I'm storing my car for the winter, and except for restoring a few things, I don't really touch it. No weekly starts, nothing like that. Just change the oil before you put it away, throw a car cover on it and leave it alone. If you are worried about flat spots on the tires, jack it up and put some carpet scraps under them. Other than that, a sheet of plastic under the car helps keep moisture away. I've also heard that mothballs in the interior is a good idea as well! Hope that helps!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL Ahern View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot for the advice =]. Now when you say gears and a tune, what does that mean specifically? I'm a bit new when it comes to upgrades and I don't really know the 'terms' lol. I've been looking at Cold Air Intakes for a while and wasn't sure about which brand names are better either.
I have a K&N Cold Air Intake and I like it.

Also, you can get gears in different sizes that will help build the rear end of your car. I would look at 4.10's or 3.73's for your V6. I would look at AmericanMuscle.com or CJPony Parts. We have some great sponsors. A tune is a great mod (even though I don't have one yet but want to!) You can take it to someone to get a tune or get a handheld. I would take it to someone and let them do it unless you really want to learn to do things yourself. SCT has courses I think on how to use the handhelds. It increases throttle response and gives you more torque and horsepower.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL Ahern View Post
Rear gears will wake the car up greatly, the general rule for good gears is 3.73 for a manual trans, and 4.10 for an automatic.
Pick yourself up an SCT tuner. It plugs into your obdII port and lets you change the way your car is programmed. There are a lot of things you can do with one of those, and a good bang for the buck performance wise!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's only a year, just make sure some one starts it every other day or 3rd day. I was in the marines also, but I had a 1990 mustang gt. My father started it twice a week for me and it was fine when I got back. If your going to try to sup it up just get a GT. Then sup it up!!
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My cars an automatic so I think I'll got for the 4.10
Also, I heard that getting the motor stroked to a 4.2 V6 is a good idea. Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!

The only reason I disagree with starting it, is that it creates more wear for the engine. After several hours, the oil drains to the bottom of the oil pan, so the more you start it the more "dry" starts you put it through. That and I'm very anal about my car!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stabuilt in the gas tank is a must if your car sits for any length of time.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletap4311 View Post
Stabuilt in the gas tank is a must if your car sits for any length of time.
Good point, and a full tank of fuel as well.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

EFI University – Learning the Science Behind Tuning - StangTV.com

more about tuning

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
Really cool info lalayla. Thanks for the link
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Really cool info lalayla. Thanks for the link
No problem.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

First, Thank you to you and the servicemen and women that are going overseas. You are in my heart and will pray for a safe return.

Well I am in agreeance with everyone here. A stabalizer in the fuel is a great idea. Storage unit top notch. 93cobra is correct dry starts can cuase excess wear and tear on the engine.

As for mods I would consider the Cold Air Induction, Tune, and Gears those would be first mild but effective. Underdrive pullies are another great investment.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very much, all of the information from you guys was very helpful =].

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT