I took ya'lls advice... - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #141
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: I took ya'lls advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Ah, I see. Sorry about the "ricer math." Everyone I've ever known around me that has even halfway-quick cars have 350Zs and RX7s. And stuff like that.

So parts and labor, a blower will run about how much?
im not sayn your friends dont know wut they r talkn bout...but ppl that bolt on parts have a different understanding than ppl that buy parts. we would have to ask around in here. i gotta pushrod motor with a blower, so itsa different beast than wut u have, but same principle. if you get a used blower (twin screw, not centrifugal), and all the parts...prolly should have you at 2k or less. im not sure on labor. you save a ton doin your own labor..especialy when it comes to blowers. i would stay with lower boost like 13-15lbs cause you have a stock 4.6 you need to hang out with more stang guys in your area. you would be surprised how cheap you can put something together. there's lotsa oem cobra stuff waitn to go on your car.... maybe even a centrifugal blower..im not sure.

i just know that by the time you spend cash on all those bolt ons..you coulda had a blower and been happy with your investment..

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #142
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
What I really want to do is get a strong and sturdy engine base built, so maybe in the upcoming years I can go wild with forced induction or whatever I want. So I wanna start working on the engine internals asap. Any suggestions?
Buy a junkyard 5,4 or 4.6 2v completely disassemble it. Bore it out 2 thousandths of an inch and then go with a completely forged rotating assembly. If your going 4.6 get a cobra crank as they are the best period. Go with a stage 2 cams and get heads ported then bolt in. The 4.6 would be good for a minimum 320 depending on compression ratio and the 5.4 minimum 350. And it would last forever. And with the forged guts you could hit it with a 300 hp shot or you put 15 lbs of boost good for about 500 hp
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thanks for all the awesome information! Definitely need to research this some more and make some friend around my area who have already been through all of this.

For the time being I'm just getting my friend to look at it on Friday and make sure everything is running properly. Maybe in a few months I can look at getting a blower. Who knows?

Thanks for letting me into ya'lls family. It feels good to have people around that love their vehicles.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #144
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Thanks for all the awesome information! Definitely need to research this some more and make some friend around my area who have already been through all of this.

For the time being I'm just getting my friend to look at it on Friday and make sure everything is running properly. Maybe in a few months I can look at getting a blower. Who knows?

Thanks for letting me into ya'lls family. It feels good to have people around that love their vehicles.
That we do love them. More than other people realise we do. Make sure to ask questions, there's no such thing as a dumb one here on this forum. Especially with all these guys running around here like chickens with their heads cut off. Svtlx is a gangsta chicken with his head cut off though!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #145
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

im not sure whos' calculator u borrowed to do your math...but to out it in lamens terms....you got the game wrong yo. all the stuff you mentioned earlier u wanted to buy will buy u a blower and net u more hp at the end of the day.

secondly, your rpms have nothing to do with a blowers operations, you dont have to be at 6 or 7 grand to get power from it...thats "fast and the furious math"

and the hp you gain from those bolt ons is spread over the entire rpm range in increments...not overall...more ricer math

you will spend 2300 and still not be happy with your car.

you will have very good power at 2200rpm with a blower trust me.

i was just reading your post, and it just didnt seem like you had a real good understanding of were the power is gonna go when you spend your hard earned money...
Svtlx is exactly right here. You can buy the blower or turbo and change nothing else other than exhaust and easily make more power than the guts can handle. 400 hp is a safe number for these mod motors and you could easily achieve that with a centri and not have to spend anymore money and get another 150k miles on it. I am piecing my next motor with forged guts for a terminator blower,the m112. But I want 550 hp out of it and dd reliability. The list I compiled up there just to hit 300 hp is gonna cost over 2000 bucks but for only a few dollars more you can bolt up a blower and gain 150 hp.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #146
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
So let's talk money. Blower + install is ballparked around how much?
If you shop for good deals and go one piece at a time you could put a system together for 2000. Even the eBay turbo kits aren't bad but you need a pro to instal it but the flat torque curve a turbo produces is staggering. It your going all new with tuning expect 4000 bucks. If you're patient and keep your eyes open you could put one together for less. Join all the mustang forums and watch the classifieds
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #147
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

That we do love them. More than other people realise we do. Make sure to ask questions, there's no such thing as a dumb one here on this forum. Especially with all these guys running around here like chickens with their heads cut off. Svtlx is a gangsta chicken with his head cut off though!
He does have knowledge to contribute so he is an asset to the terrorist crew
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #148
Titus Wadicus
Regular

thanks guys...

everett you and i will never agree on what a 4.6 can handle under boost. i think you said stock 4.6 was like 6psi or something didnt you? i say 10-15lbs. most of the ppl round here i know are running 12 on a stock 4.6, i cant quote on the hp, but i remember i was definatley disapointed.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #149
Titus Wadicus
Regular

ima terrorist yay!!! i wanna be on the watch list....yay!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i think when he hears the whine that is supposed to go with the body kit...he may change his mind....
I do agree there is definately a big grin that comes over your face when you step on the gas and hear the whine of the s/c as you shift through the gears and watch the boost climb. and leave him in your smoke. C-YA buddy!!!!!!! GONE!

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Nope. Stock the new edge has 220 rwhp. To get to 300 n/a is long tube headers and off road exhaust,cai,accufab throttle body and plenum,underdrive pulleys,higher lift cams and don't even try doing that yourself. The 4.6 is piston/valve interference motor which means the valve and piston occupy the same space at some point in the cycle. And you will need a custom dyno tune. The remote tuning like bama won't get every last hp out of your motor like a dyno tune. And all of this work might get 300 rwhp. Ford pretty much maxed this motor from the factory. Forced induction is the best bet for power. Turbo is my personal favorite. You can get a zex universal nitrous kit that will ad 55/65/75 ho jets safely. And at those numbers the tank lasts surprising long.
Nope stock edge is 260

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Cole if you want to keep it stock pretty much then do yourself a favor you might like the stock intake, but plastic is garbage. TRICK FLOW is the way to go Fuel rails, track heat intake, twisted wedge heads, and stage 2 cam you will be naturally aspirated and turning heads too. that set up is so sharp. drop $3500 you are set, then work on the forged bottom end. That motor would be awesome same set-up used in the issue of MM&FF......Worked for them 110extra horses.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 AM   #153
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
Nope stock edge is 260
He said 220 at the wheels. And yes, I remember the first time I drove a Terminator. It was a better feeling than the Viper I drove before it, and the Carrera GT after it. Pure sex when that supercharger gets to whining!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #154
Road Trip!

Quote:
thanks guys...

everett you and i will never agree on what a 4.6 can handle under boost. i think you said stock 4.6 was like 6psi or something didnt you? i say 10-15lbs. most of the ppl round here i know are running 12 on a stock 4.6, i cant quote on the hp, but i remember i was definatley disapointed.
Stock I really have no idea what it could handle safely. I will rely on your expertise on that but built they must be able to handle 15 or 20 even more and from what I have learned anything over 420 or so is living on borrowed time with stock guts. I don't know why you would think I wouldn't agree. As far as boost goes your the teacher here and I am the student so if your telling me the stock 4.6 with stock guts can handle 12 lbs I believe you
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #155
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack

Nope stock edge is 260
At the crank. Not the wheels... I suggest reading what I wrote before you tell me I am wrong
Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #156
Road Trip!

Colejohnson. Talk to Cody at stanghi about mods and tuning. He's not the cheapest but I am very satisfied with his work. He knows his stuff and I trust his opinions.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #157
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Colejohnson. Talk to Cody at stanghi about mods and tuning. He's not the cheapest but I am very satisfied with his work. He knows his stuff and I trust his opinions.
When it comes to tuning the cheapest route isn't a good idea. It's like a doctor for your car. A good tuner is worth whatever he charges because one mistake and car goes boom
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #158
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
ima terrorist yay!!! i wanna be on the watch list....yay!!!
Just by typing terrorist we are already in the watch list...
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

The amount of fail in this thread is ridiculous. I quit reading about halfway through. Cole, do yourself a favor and eliminate most of what you have read in the thread. PM me and I will walk you through realistic prices per mods and power outputs per mods when done correctly in the correct order.

The other point that began originally. The car is not a Cobra. That we have established. The emblems are Cobra. Please remove. I will gladly give you a Running pony for the front Grille and find some GT Emblems we can put on the Fenders. As far as the bumpers are concerned they look great and it's ok that they say Cobra. Just be sure to remove the Cobra emblem off the rear decklid if it's there. You can definettely still pull off a clean look as you have a GT decklid, front hood, and side skirts. Fake Badging is a majorly frown upon on in this industry and plenty of people will not treat you respectfully or give you the time of the day to help you with correct knowledge. As you notice some of the most educated members of this forum have not posted in here as it's as ugly as a train derailment.

Also, note: No one hear means disrespect towards you or your car. I have actually seen your car in town a few times and had to do a double check to verify it wasn't a real Terminator bc of the front bumper... What it really boils down to is that we are trying to help you. Take Brent's opinions or PureVenom's opinions because they are truly helping you.

Quote:
you guys are such fukn purest.... he's already got the cobra bumper cover, sum damn fender emblems isnt really pushn the envelope at this point nor raise'n any eyebrows with discust. the car looks good. not to mention, if he threw a twin screw under the hood hardly anyone would question it.
A twin screw would be pointless in his engine with out proper supporting mods. He would completely sacrifice the lifetime of his engine. He would be looking at spending a minimum of $5,000.00 (at it's best) to have this work done correctly. Honestly, with the the supercharger route, a centrifugal would be his best bet at or around 8-10 PSI maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
I've been told mine isn't real because either it doesn't have a blower, or it doesn't have white face gauges. Like I said, Ignorance.
Ignorance is a bliss aint it? I've never been so dumbfounded until someone really questioned my previous car....

Quote:
stop letn these ppl talk u into having to touch up your fenders by pulln off the badges. leave that **** alone. get a blower and a svt dash....and fuk the rest. and yes, it would look weird with a cobra bumper and no badge.

at least u got cobra badges on a v8...
go to our v6 side and you will see what im talkn bout... you will feel alot better bout your car.

you know how many new edge car i see with dual exhaust and single pipe cut out in the bumper...really
There are plenty of more items than a SVT Dash and blower to complete a Cobra. You may not have seen many cars but plenty of GTs pull the Cobra Bumper/Body Kit setup very well with a clean slate on emblems or with GT/Anniversary badges. Keep in mind his car is

It's a cheap patch. People are going to do what they can to make something work when money is a crunch.

Quote:
id leave it alone, but id shy away from racing ppl til u get a blower though...lol. i dont care wut noone says n here bout badging...if it was their car i dought they would be ripping off bumpers cause its not a read deal. i bet it's pretty sweet in person.
The car does look good in person, minus the emblems. Noticing the emblems cause a moment of distaste as people wonder... rice?

Quote:
I really don't wanna go forced induction or spray. Just not practical for my type of driving, I don't rev high enough for that usually. Lol. It would be badass though.

I only wanna get my car to about the 285-300RWHP range. So only need like 40RWHP to be right in that groove, right?

So porting the intake would be good enough to handle a stage 2 cam? If so.. That'd be awesome. I like the look of the stock intake.

And yeah, I was gonna go with long heads to some type of catback. Haven't worked out the details yet. Just waiting for my first off day of work on Friday to kinda tear into the engine a little. I think I have a vacuum hose leak. My idle kinda quivers every now and then.
I hope you don't plan on racing if your not 'reving' high enough. Why are you attempting to reach the 300RWHP mark? There is an order of bolt-ons and mods before you start cutting cams or what not. You can gain more potential from the cams and other mods by preparing with the correct setup. Exhaust manifolds, midpipes, and catbacks are normally the first basic mods.

Quote:

Welcome to the forum. We are heavily centered in Louisiana with a majority of active members in this area. Maybe you can make the next get together.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Serious questions guys. Have any of you ever actually had your own vehicle you have done these mods to? Have you ever spent your money and time installing these parts? Have you ever seen what is necessary to get these end results? You can't just slap a blower on a car and expect a number and get a vehicle that is reliable. Not going to happen. I've had two cars that I've dropped thousands of dollars into. It doesn't work how everyone plans and it sure in the hell doesn't go like a magazine fairytale. Ask Rob (purevenom) ask Brandon (Spector), ask Brad (Lowflyn), ask Louis (Hottcobra)
Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #161
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Serious questions guys. Have any of you ever actually had your own vehicle you have done these mods to? Have you ever spent your money and time installing these parts? Have you ever seen what is necessary to get these end results? You can't just slap a blower on a car and expect a number and get a vehicle that is reliable. Not going to happen. I've had two cars that I've dropped thousands of dollars into. It doesn't work how everyone plans and it sure in the hell doesn't go like a magazine fairytale. Ask Rob (purevenom) ask Spector, ask Lowflyn, ask Hottcobra
Nope...I never have. I've never changed my mind about my plans either...well...at least not more than 10 times in one day anyhow.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Nope...I never have. I've never changed my mind about my plans either...well...at least not more than 10 times in one day anyhow.
If only I could "Like" this comment.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #163
Road Trip!

Quote:
The car does look good in person, minus the emblems. Noticing the emblems cause a moment of distaste as people wonder... rice?
Kinda the point I was trying to make, well said.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #164
Road Trip!

Hey man. Nice car again. Enjoy it. If you like the emblems, then leave em. If there's anything on it that you don't like then take it off. I got a cobra and I don't give a sh## what is on your fenders. They look good on there so leave em if you want. There's a lot of gt's running cobra wheels ain't nobody *****ing. If anyone doesn't like it they can try and catch me.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #165
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
If anyone doesn't like it they can try and catch me.
I don't like it...
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #166
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

I don't like it...
Whenever you ready.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #167
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Hey man. Nice car again. Enjoy it. If you like the emblems, then leave em. If there's anything on it that you don't like then take it off. I got a cobra and I don't give a sh## what is on your fenders. They look good on there so leave em if you want. There's a lot of gt's running cobra wheels ain't nobody *****ing. If anyone doesn't like it they can try and catch me.
Wheels and body panels are one thing, but IMO, the badges are going too far......
Hell, I wanted to put the '03 Cobra wheels on the gf's GT, but she liked the R style better, so that's what she got.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

So would putting 5.0 badges on a 4cyl to 5.0 conversion be bad?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #169
Road Trip!

I'm alright with that too.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Didn't think it would be bad cuz it is truly a 5.0 at that point
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #171
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Didn't think it would be bad cuz it is truly a 5.0 at that point
Perfectly acceptable.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
Perfectly acceptable.
Awesome But I think I might not and leave it as a sleeper convertible
Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #173
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Serious questions guys. Have any of you ever actually had your own vehicle you have done these mods to? Have you ever spent your money and time installing these parts? Have you ever seen what is necessary to get these end results? You can't just slap a blower on a car and expect a number and get a vehicle that is reliable. Not going to happen. I've had two cars that I've dropped thousands of dollars into. It doesn't work how everyone plans and it sure in the hell doesn't go like a magazine fairytale. Ask Rob (purevenom) ask Brandon (Spector), ask Brad (Lowflyn), ask Louis (Hottcobra)
i cant vouch for anyone else here, but about the only thing i paid money to get done was a front end alignment...i dont own a rack.

let it be known...i assemble my own engines... bearings, piston rings, u name it. i port my own heads, runners and bowls...yes, i use a micrometer.

i do 4 cyl, v6, to v8 efi conversions....so i do my own wiring

i install my own blowers, pullies and other crap...

i have multiple pcm's, mass air meters, injectors 19's, 24's, 26's, 30's, & 42's....which means i do my own tuning.

i install my own motors, transmissions, exhaust and pretty much evrything in between.

i dont know everything, but i can tell you when i speak it's from experience..not cause someone from a shop told me something cause they are tryn to sell me something my car doesnt need.

i have a pretty good understanding of timing, timing retarding/advancing, static compression, compression multiplication (under boost).

it's all my money, all my time, all my books, all the race shops i consult, my best friend is a master engine and transmission builder, and another friend of mine specializes in building racing mod motors.....

like i said, im not an expert on everything, but i think you need to find another thread to trash talk ppl in.

im sick to death of ppl that pay shops to work on their cars, and have never installed a piston...act like they are fukn race car mechanics...

btw, the kids car is fine.... you aren't help'n any one by pushing your opinion on them. seriously, who do u think you are?

and last but not least....your price range to build his car is accurate cause you dont know how to pick up a book, all data, or a freakn wrench!!! payn everyone else to do it!!!

im done.......

Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i cant vouch for anyone else here, but about the only thing i paid money to get done was a front end alignment...i dont own a rack.

let it be known...i assemble my own engines... bearings, piston rings, u name it. i port my own heads, runners and bowls...yes, i use a micrometer.

i do 4 cyl, v6, to v8 efi conversions....so i do my own wiring

i install my own blowers, pullies and other crap...

i have multiple pcm's, mass air meters, injectors 19's, 24's, 26's, 30's, & 42's....which means i do my own tuning.

i install my own motors, transmissions, exhaust and pretty much evrything in between.

i dont know everything, but i can tell you when i speak it's from experience..not cause someone from a shop told me something cause they are tryn to sell me something my car doesnt need.

i have a pretty good understanding of timing, timing retarding/advancing, static compression, compression multiplication (under boost).

it's all my money, all my time, all my books, all the race shops i consult, my best friend is a master engine and transmission builder, and another friend of mine specializes in building racing mod motors.....

like i said, im not an expert on everything, but i think you need to find another thread to trash talk ppl in.

im sick to death of ppl that pay shops to work on their cars, and have never installed a piston...act like they are fukn race car mechanics...

btw, the kids car is fine.... you aren't help'n any one by pushing your opinion on them. seriously, who do u think you are?

and last but not least....your price range to build his car is accurate cause you dont know how to pick up a book, all data, or a freakn wrench!!! payn everyone else to do it!!!

im done.......
My, my, sir. I like that you do all your own work. On my tahoe I basically rebuilt it myself, from the steering, the idler/pittman arms, The rear-end, brake system, exhaust, rebuilt the tranny, rebuilt the transfer case, and even those damned ball joints and upper control arms...

Yet I pay an audio shop to wire my offroad lights. Haha, I'm such a ******.

But just out of pure respect for my car... Big things like a cam or even as big as a boost... I'll leave to the pros. I'm not willing to risk my car's health for a couple extra bucks. Haha.

But I do love to rip them apart and get dirty. Oh well..
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #175
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
My, my, sir. I like that you do all your own work. On my tahoe I basically rebuilt it myself, from the steering, the idler/pittman arms, The rear-end, brake system, exhaust, rebuilt the tranny, rebuilt the transfer case, and even those damned ball joints and upper control arms...

Yet I pay an audio shop to wire my offroad lights. Haha, I'm such a ******.

But just out of pure respect for my car... Big things like a cam or even as big as a boost... I'll leave to the pros. I'm not willing to risk my car's health for a couple extra bucks. Haha.

But I do love to rip them apart and get dirty. Oh well..

that wasnt directed at you....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT