Rear Diff is leaking, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Rear Diff is leaking, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took the Cobra out this past Saturday for the first time this year! After getting back to the garage for an hour I saw a nice size oil puddle from the rear Differential. Its seems I might have blown the seal!

Has anyone replace the Rear Diff seal on their Cobra? It seems to be pretty straight forward. Is there anything I should replace while I have the rear Diff down?
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Rear Diff is leaking, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there isnt a seal, its all RTV lube lol

Its not a hard job, but getting access to it ... thats the hard part. Ive never taken the cover off but you have to first remove it, then make SURE the surface is 100% clean and ready for RTV then put it on then put the cover back on etc.... hard part is the surface where the rtv goes has to be VERY clean any oil will make it keep leaking.

Another note is you can buy seals I think but factory is RTV. You also have to put it around the bolts on the inside as well so the oil wont be able to reach the bolt holes and leak either etc.

Do you have a rear IRS brace? If not now is the time.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I knew I could count on you to set me straight! LOL

I will jack it up and see what I am dealing with. Since we just got another 12" on Snow last night, it looks like I will not be driving my cobra anytime soon! LOL Will I need to lower the IRS just like I did for the lowering springs.

Yes, I have IRS brace already

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
there isnt a seal, its all RTV lube lol

Its not a hard job, but getting access to it ... thats the hard part. Ive never taken the cover off but you have to first remove it, then make SURE the surface is 100% clean and ready for RTV then put it on then put the cover back on etc.... hard part is the surface where the rtv goes has to be VERY clean any oil will make it keep leaking.

Another note is you can buy seals I think but factory is RTV. You also have to put it around the bolts on the inside as well so the oil wont be able to reach the bolt holes and leak either etc.

Do you have a rear IRS brace? If not now is the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Ive never had the rear cover off, I know when you put the brace on you can get the pumpkin so it will wiggle backwards a bit.

Who knows, you may have enough room but I am betting it will take a couple bolt removals and wiggling to get access to take the brace and the cover off, but it shouldn't be that bad overall. fore was making a nice rear cover if you want something all together stronger if you plan on drag racing it might be something to read up on
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Ive never had the rear cover off, I know when you put the brace on you can get the pumpkin so it will wiggle backwards a bit.

Who knows, you may have enough room but I am betting it will take a couple bolt removals and wiggling to get access to take the brace and the cover off, but it shouldn't be that bad overall. fore was making a nice rear cover if you want something all together stronger if you plan on drag racing it might be something to read up on
I have been re-searching SVT performance and it seems this is a common problem with the Terminators that have heavy mods. Seems to be a fairly simple job, just takes time. I will look into something else that might be stronger and better for my set up!

If anyone has any suggestions or new parts that can upgrade the cover let me know. I will re-search as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

It's not too hard at all once you get the diff out. A couple of the bolts are going to be real fun with the irs in the car...I know they were real fun when I had the IRS out of the car. lol
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I found this gasket!

Felpro Axle Housing Cover Gasket
Your Price: $6.44
Quantity:
Part Number: 5464-07058260
Notes: Rear Axle Gasket Set -- Rear Axle; 10-bolt holes; Ford IRS 8.8" R.G.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It's not too hard at all once you get the diff out. A couple of the bolts are going to be real fun with the irs in the car...I know they were real fun when I had the IRS out of the car. lol
Thanks for the tips Bro!!! You and SpectorV have great experiance with this car. How long have your guys owned your cars for?

Also, did you paint your Valve covers yourself? How big of a project is that? I want to take mine off and do something cool.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith View Post
Thanks for the tips Bro!!! You and SpectorV have great experiance with this car. How long have your guys owned your cars for?

Also, did you paint your Valve covers yourself? How big of a project is that? I want to take mine off and do something cool.
I had them powder coated...taking them off requires patience. The driver side is a biznatch. The passenger wasn't too bad. However, if you have a KB or a whipple (I don't have your sig in front of me and cant remember)...you will have to remove the blower to take them off as the passenger side will not clear the intake plenum.

They can be removed without disconnecting the brake booster as well. You will just need to disconnect the motor from the mount on the driver side and jack it up a couple inches...then find the magic angle and it will come right out. I fought with it for about 45 mins (I'm not a patient person) until I was ready to throw ****....sat down for a minute then walked over and it came right off. Go figure.

As for how long have I owned the car? Ordered it Aug 2002, watched it drive off the delivery truck at the dealership May 2003.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I had them powder coated...taking them off requires patience. The driver side is a biznatch. The passenger wasn't too bad. However, if you have a KB or a whipple (I don't have your sig in front of me and cant remember)...you will have to remove the blower to take them off as the passenger side will not clear the intake plenum.

They can be removed without disconnecting the brake booster as well. You will just need to disconnect the motor from the mount on the driver side and jack it up a couple inches...then find the magic angle and it will come right out. I fought with it for about 45 mins (I'm not a patient person) until I was ready to throw ****....sat down for a minute then walked over and it came right off. Go figure.

As for how long have I owned the car? Ordered it Aug 2002, watched it drive off the delivery truck at the dealership May 2003.

WOW, it looks like I will not be doing that anytime soon! LOL maybe next winter when it's back in storage. Oh and I am not a patient person either. All my friends know this and they always have to tell me to stop and smoke a cig and cool off for a second! LOL I like instant gratification!

WOW, that would be awesome to see it roll right of the truck into your possession. That must have felt pretty damn good to see that and to know no-one else has touch it (besides the guys that drive it off the assembly line).
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith View Post
WOW, it looks like I will not be doing that anytime soon! LOL maybe next winter when it's back in storage. Oh and I am not a patient person either. All my friends know this and they always have to tell me to stop and smoke a cig and cool off for a second! LOL I like instant gratification!

WOW, that would be awesome to see it roll right of the truck into your possession. That must have felt pretty damn good to see that and to know no-one else has touch it (besides the guys that drive it off the assembly line).
It was nice. I lucked out and beat the truck to the dealership. A buddy of mine happened to be heading south on a highway and saw a car carrier with a red vert on the top back heading north and called me. I left work immediately and drove to the dealership. The truck pulled in about 15 minutes after me. When I arrived at the dealership they told me they expected the car today and I told them "I know". lol

Then I drove it home and washed it. Didn't have them prep the car at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That is a great story! Perfect timing!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

As of January 10th I have owned mine 5 years, Purchased it back in 2006 used with 37k miles on it. I wish I would have been able to have picked it up in 2003.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I just got the same problem with my 04 gt good timing is it the same?
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT