Spark Plugs on a 4.6, Need Changed Scared to do Them - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Spark Plugs on a 4.6, Need Changed Scared to do Them

It's getting close to time to change those god forsaken spark plugs in my 02 GT and I'm scared to death to do them. Last time I did it on my 01 it blew 2 plugs out of the motor with the threads. I used the same part number motorcraft plugs and gently and carefully did them and they still did the blow out. I was warned when I did them that it was a possibility that it would happen......and it did.

My 02 has 85,000 miles on it and it should be time for a change. Should attempt it again or have Ford do it. See my thanking is they will see the car modified and a programmer is on it and they will blame the blow out plug on the mods and not the tech's work.

HELP!!! I need input
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Spark Plugs on a 4.6, Need Changed Scared to do Them

ford wont cover them if something happens FYI even if they break a plug its YOUR fault and you have to pay.

I would swap them with the OEM ones and use a tiny bit of anti seeze, tq to the specified amt (use an inch lb tq wrench) and you should be good, check them after a few hot/cold cycles.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

It's a risk you have to take. Do the plugs yourself and save some money. Just let the engine cool completely down. Take the plugs out easily and re-install with anti-seize just follow what Spec has already said.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if they are not missing then no need to do them at this moment lol...
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

if it aint broke don't fix it lol.

I had a shop do mine bc I figured if it happened they'd have to pay to fix it...nope had to get a whole new right side head bc nothing would get a good vacuum seal after it blew 2 out....guess who still paid for it? Me...either way you're paying for it lol
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

on the 05+ GT's they started out using a two piece plug that would break on removal. Ford KNEW this. When they changed them out if they broke..... the owner paid 250 per plug to "repair" ha... yup great huh.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

gotta love manufacturer flaws lol.

sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose to get more money.....YUP its a fact lol
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
on the 05+ GT's they started out using a two piece plug that would break on removal. Ford KNEW this. When they changed them out if they broke..... the owner paid 250 per plug to "repair" ha... yup great huh.
Yea, we could make a living on tune-ups.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith

HEy guys, good topic. I want to replace mine as well. What are the absolute best plugs and wires you can buy for my 03 Cobra?

The reason I am replacing them is my car seems to have a slight hesitation shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Paul's High Performance (local performance shop that specializes mustang cobras)said to replace them before I bring it to them for tuning this spring. They said my symptom sounded like plugs and wires.

Symptom is a feeling of loss of fuel at higher RPMs. A little hesitation. I have 60 lbs injectors and a KB 2.2. I think that is a good fuel air mix. In fact my air/fuel gauge is right on, I think.

Let me know your thoughts Spec V and everyone else.
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I was scared to death to do mine as well a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad I did it. I found 4 out of the 8 backed out a thread or too. I could wiggle them with my finger tip.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith
HEy guys, good topic. I want to replace mine as well. What are the absolute best plugs and wires you can buy for my 03 Cobra?

The reason I am replacing them is my car seems to have a slight hesitation shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Paul's High Performance (local performance shop that specializes mustang cobras)said to replace them before I bring it to them for tuning this spring. They said my symptom sounded like plugs and wires.

Symptom is a feeling of loss of fuel at higher RPMs. A little hesitation. I have 60 lbs injectors and a KB 2.2. I think that is a good fuel air mix. In fact my air/fuel gauge is right on, I think.

Sounds like one of your coil over plug is fried or is just periodically missing. Those cars don't have plug wires just Coils that are over the plugs. You can buy them individually for around $26-$50 but I would just change them all at once there are kits for $250-$300 for all 8 of them. If one is cuttin out then the rest are right behind on doing the same.

I had the same problem on my 01 it's a normal flaw in the 4.6 2v and 4v motors
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith View Post

first of all be CAREFUL as your cars mods require different heat ranges than factory.

After you determine the heat range needed for your mods and boost level (cant help you there but Purevenom can im sure) then you need to replace em. Removing them in our 03 cobras is something to be CAREFUL with. The threads on the heads are only 5 threads so there isnt much to keep them from stripping/blowing out. The gapping of the plugs needs to be checked as well, not sure what you should be at but make sure all are gaped right.

You want to GENTLY turn the plugs out when the motor is cold (so ive been told cold is the best time with less expansion of the metal). Depending on how long they have been in you may hear a little metal on metal squeek then they will turn right on out.

For re installation antiseeze is something everyone has a different opinion on. I would personally put a VERY VERY tiny bit on the threads and rub it in by hand and wipe off access.

Tq EXACTLY to specs using a inch pound wrench that is correctly setup (can get tested to see if its good). The inch pound works better cuz the closer to the middle of the range you use the tq level at the better the accuracy.

Test after a few hot/cold cycles to see if tq is still right.

Dont mess with the coil packs, only use OEM ones, aftermarkets mainly are crap.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Will you be raising your boost levels or just redoing a tune?? I had issues with my fuel pump once I went to a 2.93" upper @ about 13/14psi on the Eaton, is your pump still stock? BAP?. What Mods are you already doing and looking at adding. I think the NGK plugs will be great (change these about every 30,000miles). I am looking into it b/c i can't remember the correct heat range right now.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Probably need a TR5 but talk to your tuner prior to changing them.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I have NKG Iridium currently (TR6-IX) but you may want to go copper and change mroe regularly. I recommend copper while tuning as you can check after tune for any signs of detonation on the tip of the plugs and then change, then drive and check back later on (cheaper to do this with copper by FAR)
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Will you be raising your boost levels or just redoing a tune?? I had issues with my fuel pump once I went to a 2.93" upper @ about 13/14psi on the Eaton, is your pump still stock? BAP?. What Mods are you already doing and looking at adding. I think the NGK plugs will be great (change these about every 30,000miles). I am looking into it b/c i can't remember the correct heat range right now.
Just a re-tune, I might go a little less aggressive. So much HP.

I thought about the fuel bump as well. I am running 20psi max right now as you can see on the Dyno sheet I attached. I will need to check on the fuel pump. Where is this located? In or near fuel tank or else where?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno graph.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	24012  
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:

I've changed the plugs twice in the MACH 1 . I Don't think the DOHC motors have the plug blow out issue ? not sure ? Mine have come out and gone in with NO problems ..... I actually do them with the engine still warm ,they seem to come out easier ,then put a little anti-sieze on the new plug's threads when installing ...............
Old 03-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Just a re-tune, I might go a little less aggressive. So much HP.

I thought about the fuel bump as well. I am running 20psi max right now as you can see on the Dyno sheet I attached. I will need to check on the fuel pump. Where is this located? In or near fuel tank or else where?
Cobra has duel pumps , and they're in the tank .........
Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
Road Trip!

I let my tuner replace my plugs. All those guys have their own preference on plug selection with their tunes. If you are in doubt, ask the guy tuning the car about plug recommendations.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania

You don't have to pay if ford breaks a plug. I *****ed and asked if the techs were writing their own bonus checks. I pay for a plug change and I get hit with something else. Sorry but if they try to pull that they can explain it to the Better Buisiness Bureau. I didn't pay for the helicoil repair
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo View Post
You don't have to pay if ford breaks a plug. I *****ed and asked if the techs were writing their own bonus checks. I pay for a plug change and I get hit with something else. Sorry but if they try to pull that they can explain it to the Better Buisiness Bureau. I didn't pay for the helicoil repair
Well, you got lucky! Seriously. We don't pay for the repair b/c your spark plugs broke while we were removing them. The local shop isn't going to pay for it and neither is the local dealership.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Fiend. I know you don't want me to say this but. There's always the 1-800-GET IT FREE number. You know what I'm saying? Hated the number.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It's not that difficult. My wife changed 4 of hers after I walked her through the first 4.

On my car I do TR6 coppers every 6 months. Cheap insurance to me.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
I let my tuner replace my plugs. All those guys have their own preference on plug selection with their tunes. If you are in doubt, ask the guy tuning the car about plug recommendations.
Some good advice. It never hurts to ask questions.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have an 04 gt and when I changed mine I used e3 plugs simply because they are guaranteed for close to 100000 miles did them myself no problems for like 15000 miles then my timing cover needed to be replaced so I took it to a shop and they had to remove them among lots of other things to do the job and when I got it back one plug blew out and I had to replace it but I checked all the others and they looked great and it's been another 20000 miles since and no issues yet I'm thinking they just didn't torq it down right but all my plugs seem to be living up to their guarantee I chose e3 specifically cause it meant less changes and they go on sale alot for same price as regular plugs
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I need to try TR6 coppers and see if the idle is fine, probably will be and much cheaper. Its been a year now so I need to swap them out im sure.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

BE AFRAID!!... BE VERY AFRAID!!!!
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My Tuner said to use Motor Craft Sp505 Agf22c. these are Copper plugs. Where is the best place to get plugs from?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith
My Tuner said to use Motor Craft Sp505 Agf22c. these are Copper plugs. Where is the best place to get plugs from?
Motorcraft is a ford brand so I assume you would have to get em from ford. I got the Bosch 4 ground platinum/iridium with no problems. However I need coppers so I will be giving these away to whoever wants em. 5000 miles on em or so

Built 2 Last
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
It's not that difficult. My wife changed 4 of hers after I walked her through the first 4.

On my car I do TR6 coppers every 6 months. Cheap insurance to me.
Yea, but your wife is pretty damn cool. I always look forward to her Miss St post on FB.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #31

Region: Georgia

probably one of the easiest jobs to do on year Mustang go to your local auto parts store and pick up a set of motorcraft oem plugs about 10 bucks while your their get a 5/8 socket especially designed for removing the plugs about 6-8 bucks also pick up a pack antiseze and dielectric grease they are about 1 buck each only other thing you will need is the correct socket to loosen the hold down bolts on your fuel rails whole thing should not take you more than 30 minutes
04greygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Fiend. I know you don't want me to say this but. There's always the 1-800-I SUCK number. You know what I'm saying? Hated the number.
Yep. I hate the weak General Managers and Customer Care Centers. I have a GM that is soo involved right now and has never worked in Service before (Used Car Sales is his only back ground) and he is terrible. I call him Crawfish. Everyday, every ****ing day he is crawfishing on some bull**** he said or is doing that ****s up my job. He needs to stay out. I've never seen a GM even the slightest bit interested in Service. We are self sufficient and don't need a GM for anything other than reviewing our numbers for his paycheck every month.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

I had the ngk tr6's in mine but gave me a slight hesitation at lower speeds. Switched to the ngk tr6ix and much better. The cars been in storage since november. Is it fine to check the the torque specs when it's been sitting this long? Or should I do some short driving then re-torque?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
I've changed the plugs twice in the MACH 1 . I Don't think the DOHC motors have the plug blow out issue ? not sure ? Mine have come out and gone in with NO problems ..... I actually do them with the engine still warm ,they seem to come out easier ,then put a little anti-sieze on the new plug's threads when installing ...............
Yes they do. Atleast the 03/04 cobras do. Only 4 threads holding the plugs in, unless you have the 1/05 re-designed heads which have 9 threads.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT