Transmission help please, yikes! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Region: California
Transmission help please, yikes!

Hey everyone, i have a 96 gt conv with a modded motor, supercharged etc.. With a aode tranny and b&m ratchet shift kit. Today, I took the car out and noticed a lag in the shifting to start.. And then I couldn't shift it in to 2nd, it would just rev but if i shifted again it would go into 3rd... The tranny has the manual shift mechanism in it so the tranny can only be used by manual shifting. When I bought the car about a month ago... It had receipts of the tranny being completely torn down rebuilt in feb 2010. When I got home I looked under the car and I could notice it was leaking tranny fluid right where the tranny is connected to the block... I'm assuming. I also noticed a little tranny residue on the end of the tranny...Anyways, I'm a little bummed of what could be the problem and mostly how much it will cost! Could it be a blown seal, etc?? Any help would be really appreciated. I checked the Dipstick and it is reading full and the fluid Is the color is should normally be.

Thanks
Ts281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Transmission help please, yikes!

Could be the transmission seal and or gasket at the front of the transmission or the seal on the converter leaking. Either way not a big fix but time consuming by taking the transmission out to replace the seals .If you have to remove the transmission you might as well replace both seals. The front seal (or gasket) and the converter seal (s)
Jdaddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I'd say a valve body problem. If you don't plan on racing it all the time i would put the stock valve body back in and just install a shift improver kit. JMO
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Region: California

[QUOTE=Straublittleman;845157]I'd say a valve body problem. If you don't plan on racing it all the time i would put the stock valve body back in and just install a shift improver kit. JMO[

What do you mean when u say valve body?
Ts281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

[QUOTE=Ts281;845183]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
I'd say a valve body problem. If you don't plan on racing it all the time i would put the stock valve body back in and just install a shift improver kit. JMO[

What do you mean when u say valve body?
The valve body is in the trans at the bottom where the filter goes and it controls the shifting. It has about 40 bolts that hold it in there so I would have a mechanic do the change over.

But it could be as simple as the 2nd shift solenoid went bad and can be replaced by a trans shop for cheaper than another trans.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT