Please help me on this, anybody!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Unhappy Please help me on this, anybody!!!

Ok guys I just bought a 98 gt of a friend for $1000. She runs good, feels pretty strong, but theres a problem. Before taking off, the car shakes a bit, after that all the gears are smooth. Also when down-shifting the car shakes after each gear, and after I come to a complete stop, It smells a bit like burned rubber, which I think its the clutch. Honestly I just bought this car for one reason. I knew that for the price the car was going to have some problems, but the only reason why I bought it was because Im trying to work on my rides, and I just want to get better at it. I pretty much got all the tools so I don't want to get ripped off by the shops. My first thought is the clutch or fly wheel, if that don't do it, then I might go after the tranny, If that doesn't cut it, then I might go after the rear end. Any suggestions guys, what the problem might be? Thanx and sorry for making this like a documentary.
99saleen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Does it shake when you are releasing the clutch? After the clutch is released and you are moving does it go away? If so it sounds like clutch chatter. New clutch and resurface or replace flywheel.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Please help me on this, anybody!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Does it shake when you are releasing the clutch? After the clutch is released and you are moving does it go away? If so it sounds like clutch chatter. New clutch and resurface or replace flywheel.
+1
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Yes Al it does shake when releasing the clutch. After taking off, that's pretty much it for the shaking, till I start downshifting that's when the shaking starts again. I knew or I had a very good feeling that it was going to be something with the clutch or flywheel. Thanx a lot for the suggestions. That just gets me closer to a definite conclusion of what the problem might be. Once again thanx
Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
That's it man. Resurface or replace that flywheel for sure also. If you pull it yourself, look for stress cracks and hot spots. If there are any stress cracks at all. Replace the flywheel.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
That's it man. Resurface or replace that flywheel for sure also. If you pull it yourself, look for stress cracks and hot spots. If there are any stress cracks at all. Replace the flywheel.
Thanx bud, I'll be ordering one asap. Thanx again!!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If your going to be replacing the flywheel go ahead and change everything in there while it's off ( like clutch, rear seal, clutch fork, throw out bearing, and check your cable It might be stretched ) if your rear main seal is bad and oil is on the flywheel it could cause your problem. Do you notice the clutch slipping at all?
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Re: Please help me on this, anybody!!!

Replace the input shaft for sure while you have it apart!! Good time for upgrade.
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, thanx guys for all the tips. Now I know what to change while she's in pieces, even if it takes me a bit longer. Good job fellas!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT