Tranny flush need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Region: California
Tranny flush need help

So I want to flush out the tranny fluid in my 96 mustang gt, what kind and how much should I buy. I was reading up and from what I understood I should get royal purple synchromax but where i got confused is when i started reading about t5 and t45 and t3650. anyways just looking for how much i should buy. Thanks
johnnyspecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tranny flush need help

transmissions can be finicky when it comes to what fluid. Different internal materials can act differently to different types of fluid. Overall you will probably be safe with a good fluid like royal purple.

You might wish to simply put the OEM spec fluid back in it

You have a T-45 so use what ever is recommended for that one

You can take your shifter off and pour the fluid in there (after you drain it) or you can use a pump to pump the fluid into the fill plug hole. The car needs to be level. Jack it up and crawl under there and remove the fill plug then the drain plug. Cant remember what side of the transmission they are on, probably the drivers side.

After drained you can choose to pour one quarter into it to flush out anything thats left~ then put in the drain plug and fill up until it comes out the top of the fill plug. If ford recommends XX quarts then just put that and cap it off and your done.... I need to change mine again its been a good while.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyspecs
So I want to flush out the tranny fluid in my 96 mustang gt, what kind and how much should I buy. I was reading up and from what I understood I should get royal purple synchromax but where i got confused is when i started reading about t5 and t45 and t3650. anyways just looking for how much i should buy. Thanks
I used amsoil synchromesh in my t45. No complaints and I put in 3.5 liters

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
transmissions can be finicky when it comes to what fluid. Different internal materials can act differently to different types of fluid. Overall you will probably be safe with a good fluid like royal purple.

You might wish to simply put the OEM spec fluid back in it

You have a T-45 so use what ever is recommended for that one

You can take your shifter off and pour the fluid in there (after you drain it) or you can use a pump to pump the fluid into the fill plug hole. The car needs to be level. Jack it up and crawl under there and remove the fill plug then the drain plug. Cant remember what side of the transmission they are on, probably the drivers side.

After drained you can choose to pour one quarter into it to flush out anything thats left~ then put in the drain plug and fill up until it comes out the top of the fill plug. If ford recommends XX quarts then just put that and cap it off and your done.... I need to change mine again its been a good while.
Anybody have any luck with royal purple max atf?
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake

Anybody have any luck with royal purple max atf?
I have read some horror stories about it eating seals. Racing fluids are meant to be changed often and racing trannies are rebuilt often. I know enough that I won't use it. I know amsoil makes a quality product especially gor extended drain intervals .Even motorcraft is good if changed often.

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

I have read some horror stories about it eating seals. Racing fluids are meant to be changed often and racing trannies are rebuilt often. I know enough that I won't use it. I know amsoil makes a quality product especially gor extended drain intervals .Even motorcraft is good if changed often.

Built 2 Last TTT
Damn. I got 5 qts of it in my toolbox and need a flush. I also hear gear oil isn't good. Hear lots of good things bout rp syncromax. Any further opinions. I know amsiol has a good rep, very hard to find locally.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

Damn. I got 5 qts of it in my toolbox and need a flush. I also hear gear oil isn't good. Hear lots of good things bout rp syncromax. Any further opinions. I know amsiol has a good rep, very hard to find locally.
Use it then. I have no experience with it. Only what I have read online. If you have an issue dump it. I get amsoil wholesale so I don't even bother with anything else. Go to their website,for 10 bucks they make you a prefered customer and you can get it at wholesale too. That fee pays for itself in 1 oil change. And when I order its on my doorstep in 2 days.

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Use it then. I have no experience with it. Only what I have read online. If you have an issue dump it. I get amsoil wholesale so I don't even bother with anything else. Go to their website,for 10 bucks they make you a prefered customer and you can get it at wholesale too. That fee pays for itself in 1 oil change. And when I order its on my doorstep in 2 days.

Built 2 Last TTT
Sounds like a plan. I can at least try it. My trannys a lil hurt any way. Second grindes if I don't granny shift.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

Sounds like a plan. I can at least try it. My trannys a lil hurt any way. Second grindes if I don't granny shift.
Mine used too. Then I read in one forum to leave the tranny fluid half a quart low. So when I switched to amsoil I did. I haven't had a grind since. I don't know if it was the fluid change or leaving it a bit low but it seemed to help. I have a t45 tho...I don't know what tranny you have

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mine used too. Then I read in one forum to leave the tranny fluid half a quart low. So when I switched to amsoil I did. I haven't had a grind since. I don't know if it was the fluid change or leaving it a bit low but it seemed to help. I have a t45 tho...I don't know what tranny you have

Built 2 Last TTT
Mines a t45 as well. That's good to know. Which amsiol type did u say was for our trannys?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Road Trip!

I used the synchromesh. I am pleased with it. And you can't beat the extended drain intervals

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I used the synchromesh. I am pleased with it. And you can't beat the extended drain intervals

Built 2 Last TTT
Very nice and thank u for the prompt responses.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

Very nice and thank u for the prompt responses.
No problem. I hope everything works out for you

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No problem. I hope everything works out for you

Built 2 Last TTT
Thanks. I'll find out after I put my shortblock back together. Hopefully next week.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:

Thanks. I'll find out after I put my shortblock back together. Hopefully next week.
If you don't mind please keep the forum informed of your findings. Any user info good or bad is good to have on the record for other members to see.

Built 2 Last TTT
Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you don't mind please keep the forum informed of your findings. Any user info good or bad is good to have on the record for other members to see.

Built 2 Last TTT
Of course. I'll first post how the RP max atf worked out. Run that for awhile and try out the syncromesh. Also on one last note about amsoil, seeing as this thread is slightly jacked. I noticed they have 2 types of 5w30. Which would u recommend for my 98 cobra 4v. Just freshened up a used shortblock and swapped it in. Mileage around 90k
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Amsoil has a line of oil called SSO. Signature Series Oil. It's the best oil they make. It's a 0W30 weight. That would be perfect and it's an extended drain interval oil so if you use it with the amsoil oil filter is good to 25000 miles. 15000 if your hard on it. The next best oil is the xl line. It has more zddp and it's for higher mileage motors. Either of those are a great choice. The xl is good for about 10000 miles if your beating on and over 15000 if you drive semi normal. I have read alot on oil in the past few years and synthetic oil has come leaps and bounds due to it's durabily and resistance to shearing. If your going to change it at say 3000 or 5000 miles it's not really worth going with synthetics because even dyno oil the add pack isn't depleted and sheared thin. Just something to consider.And I would like to hear how that rp works for you. Thanks

Built 2 Last TTT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT