I have an electrical problem help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have an electrical problem help!!

Ok guys my 99 Saleen is giving me some problems. When she's parked for a couple of days she starts draining the battery. I thought probably the dome light might of stayed on, but no. I thought probably my radio, but no also. Can someone give me any better ideas on what to check for? If the car gets parked for 3-4 days without getting cranked it will drain my battery. So please guys give some good ideas before taking her to someone else's hands.( I would hate it) I'm the only one that can touch her >=|

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang
99saleen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: I have an electrical problem help!!

Trunk light or glove box light? Only others that I can think of
Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770
Trunk light or glove box light? Only others that I can think of
The trunk I can probably do it, I'm guessing by locking the car and just dropping the back seats down, but how about the glove box? Just look around the edge??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99saleen87 View Post
Ok guys my 99 Saleen is giving me some problems. When she's parked for a couple of days she starts draining the battery. I thought probably the dome light might of stayed on, but no. I thought probably my radio, but no also. Can someone give me any better ideas on what to check for? If the car gets parked for 3-4 days without getting cranked it will drain my battery. So please guys give some good ideas before taking her to someone else's hands.( I would hate it) I'm the only one that can touch her >=|

could it be just a bad battery,or alternater?
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99saleen87 View Post
The trunk I can probably do it, I'm guessing by locking the car and just dropping the back seats down, but how about the glove box? Just look around the edge??

For the glove box just use any type of video recorder and put it in the box and shut it that's the easiest way I can think of doing it
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
could it be just a bad battery,or alternater?
This too.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

amp would do it possibly if you have one, is battery good? full of water?
mhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobbs View Post
amp would do it possibly if you have one, is battery good? full of water?
and if you add water, deionized water only
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
If it takes 3 or 4 days, I couldn't call it a parasitic drain like a light or radio. Get the battery tested first. If it dies in 1 or 2 days maybe something draining it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
If it takes 3 or 4 days, I couldn't call it a parasitic drain like a light or radio. Get the battery tested first. If it dies in 1 or 2 days maybe something draining it.
Agreed. An old school vat40 battery tester would work great. Autozone could check Ur charging system for free.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well I know as fact that my alt is good, because when my car is on and I disconnect the terminals it stays on. A bad alt would shut down the car immediately. So the alt is marked of the list. My battery has a normal voltage, at least that's what my volt meter says. So battery gets Checked off too. So I guess I'll still keep searching for a probable cause!!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99saleen87
Well I know as fact that my alt is good, because when my car is on and I disconnect the terminals it stays on. A bad alt would shut down the car immediately. So the alt is marked of the list. My battery has a normal voltage, at least that's what my volt meter says. So battery gets Checked off too. So I guess I'll still keep searching for a probable cause!!

Not necessarly. A battery tester well put a load on the battery to determine a bad cell. Battery voltage doesn't serve as much when diagnosing a draw. Only after an actual test would I rule it out. THAN I would proceed to get technical. Get Ur hands on a multimeter. Set to amps. This next part is important... DISCONNECT the negative battery cable and hook up Ur meter inline with the ground post and cable. Ur looking for 0.2 amps max draw. If higher pull fuses one by one until u find Ur draw.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake

Not necessarly. A battery tester well put a load on the battery to determine a bad cell. Battery voltage doesn't serve as much when diagnosing a draw. Only after an actual test would I rule it out. THAN I would proceed to get technical. Get Ur hands on a multimeter. Set to amps. This next part is important... DISCONNECT the negative battery cable and hook up Ur meter inline with the ground post and cable. Ur looking for 0.2 amps max draw. If higher pull fuses one by one until u find Ur draw.
Agreed. Go get the battery tested. Autozone for free. If you don't know how to test for a parasitic draw then you are better off just paying the pros to do it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I know you probably hear this allot but google it. The 94-98 stangs are known for it. I don't know if the newer ones have the same problem. Its the constant control relay module I believe, its in the drivers kick panel on 94-98 stangs and for some reason they do this, it has a short but doesn't blow any fuses but it does drain the battery. I can't remember the site I found when I looked it up about mine but there is a wire you can cut "brown/white stripe" I believe that cures the problem and everything still works the same. I'll try to reference the page and post a link later.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
I know you probably hear this allot but google it. The 94-98 stangs are known for it. I don't know if the newer ones have the same problem. Its the constant control relay module I believe, its in the drivers kick panel on 94-98 stangs and for some reason they do this, it has a short but doesn't blow any fuses but it does drain the battery. I can't remember the site I found when I looked it up about mine but there is a wire you can cut "brown/white stripe" I believe that cures the problem and everything still works the same. I'll try to reference the page and post a link later.
Oh wow. Never had experience with that. Always good to know more common problems.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Sorry its called the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). Its #39 fuse on most 99-04 stangs and can't remember on the 94-98 it might be the same. But I can't find the page that showed how to fix it. But its easier and a whooooole lot cheaper to buy an extension cord and a battery maintainer and just plug it in. It will also save you money in the long run with not having to buying batteries every couple of months. A new GEM will run you around $500-$600 bucks because it has to be reprogrammed to your car "another bright idea from ford" or the car won't start.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Sorry its called the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). Its #39 fuse on most 99-04 stangs and can't remember on the 94-98 it might be the same. But I can't find the page that showed how to fix it. But its easier and a whooooole lot cheaper to buy an extension cord and a battery maintainer and just plug it in. It will also save you money in the long run with not having to buying batteries every couple of months. A new GEM will run you around $500-$600 bucks because it has to be reprogrammed to your car "another bright idea from ford" or the car won't start.
What the?? Yes yes yes now I remember!! I tried doing that once about the fuses, and yes, the only fuse that was actually "powered on" should I say? Was the GEM fuse. The rest of he fuses were at 0 but when I got to that GEM one that's when I saw my numbers on my meter change. So a freakin GEM would be the cure and it would cost me about 500-600 coins?? Dayyyymmmm!!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Get a battery disconector

got her in the wind!
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT