why the fear of the ls1 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Alright, maybe I'm just venting, but I am really wondering what's with the "well if its an lsx, u your not gonna take it" comments on all the forums. First of all just run one. There not untouchable gods of racing. Going buy all the forum bench racing, my 98 cobra w 4.10s, catted x pipe, air box mod, deleted imrcs, and tri ax wouldn't stand a chance against a 98 ss or even a z28 with bolts. And yet last week I took a 2001 c5, non z06 at the track. I wanna hear from my fellow stang owners.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: why the fear of the ls1

I wouldn't ever run with a corvette.. unless it's a model around '81-'82.. They only had about 180rwhp. haha.

I got mad respect for the LSX.
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
The ls1 was brought out to put the fox bodies in their place. The foxes killed the old tune port 350's for years. 93 the lt1 came to kill the foxes. Ls1 came in 97 or 98 which was a new engine platform completely separate from the old 350's. Ford tried to keep up until the terminator came out which was the same year that gm dropped the f-body. Still kicked the vettes ***. The ls platform is a great engine though. Just glad that gm is scared to put a blower on it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
The ls1 was brought out to put the fox bodies in their place. The foxes killed the old tune port 350's for years. 93 the lt1 came to kill the foxes. Ls1 came in 97 or 98 which was a new engine platform completely separate from the old 350's. Ford tried to keep up until the terminator came out which was the same year that gm dropped the f-body. Still kicked the vettes ***. The ls platform is a great engine though. Just glad that gm is scared to put a blower on it.
I get the history, my only gripe is that, all this respect for a motor leads to ppl to scared too run one. I almost traded my cobra for a 99 z28. Than the salesmen (a friend of mine) let me run it at the track. Damn was I surprised when I pulled it by a car. Z28 mods where corsa catback and flowtech lt's. There not impossible...
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I wouldn't ever run with a corvette.. unless it's a model around '81-'82.. They only had about 180rwhp. haha.

I got mad respect for the LSX.
And as far as 80's vetts. That tpi sucks. My lil beater project car is a 94 sentra se-r with h,I,e. It took a 86 clean vett with t tops and z06 wheels (unknown performance mods except exhaust) by 2 cars at the track.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
I also have respect for the motor. It, as well as the current gen hemi, are very well designed. If it wasnt, it wouldn't be swapped into everything under the sun. But it just seems ppl take driving and other factors out of a race.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake
I also have respect for the motor. It, as well as the current gen hemi, are very well designed. If it wasnt, it wouldn't be swapped into everything under the sun. But it just seems ppl take driving and other factors out of a race.
Maybe I should rephrase what I said:

I don't run with any cars. Haha. I don't like racing. I like running it hard solo.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: why the fear of the ls1

The LSX engines are very respectible and not to be underestimated. That is just how it is. These engines have been around for decades now and well they are beast & def. mod friendly. The cars are quick. The LSX SS is an animal and put everything to shame until the Terminator. The automatics are even pretty bad ***. I've seen some heavily modded stangs loose to the Fbody cars with light mods.

While I wish it was the other way, I did enjoy being the underdog for a while. It made it a helluva lot more interesting. The problem is, that those guys still have that attitude and still think they have the fastest rides on the road... they don't. Some are great, but they are loosing ground...fast.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
DarkShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,178
Re: why the fear of the ls1

I had no issue putting a car or so ona 98 z28 a while back. both of us had minor to medium bolt on's
__________________

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: why the fear of the ls1

every time I've run a stock one at the track I take them , even used to beat them when the Mach was bone stock , very close though
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MarkuzLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,426
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1
Re: why the fear of the ls1

My '02 WS6 put 300hp to the wheels, bone stock. It did 317 with an air-lid and cat-back. It's best 1/8th was 8.5@85mph. Automatic transmission with factory 3.23 gears.

I've never dyno'd the 'vette. It's probably a few hp shy of what the TA did. They got better intakes in '01, at least. I think they may have put a bit more aggressive cam in them, too (but dont quote me on that one). The best 1/8th I've done in the 'vette was 8.7@84mph. Automatic with factory 2.73 gears. The 'vette is bone stock.

They're good solid, well-performing, simple engines. My first choice for any project car I would build. 4-eyed fox, anyone?
__________________

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
I think it's a drivers race but I think u have a great advantage with the 4.10's I have raced a couple ls1's I it's pretty dead even I beat a couple the 4v's give the ls1's a pretty good run
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: why the fear of the ls1

Ford messed around in the 96-04 GT's since they out sold the camaro/TA by so much... they never felt the need to add more power and it cost them... the LS1 is great old tech motor, still makes it work with push rods and does great things
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Ford messed around in the 96-04 GT's since they out sold the camaro/TA by so much... they never felt the need to add more power and it cost them... the LS1 is great old tech motor, still makes it work with push rods and does great things
My 5.3 in my truck is based on that motor. Tough as nails. But it's not a mustang

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
See that's what I wanted to see. What are Ur mods dark? I love machs. So even stock u would take em?
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue
I think it's a drivers race but I think u have a great advantage with the 4.10's I have raced a couple ls1's I it's pretty dead even I beat a couple the 4v's give the ls1's a pretty good run
Ya I pretty sure that was my edge since I don't have much in bolt ons.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake
See that's what I wanted to see. What are Ur mods dark? I love machs. So even stock u would take em?
If have beaten some bad and some were dead even but it's a drivers race I think. I have great respect for ls1 motors they are well built
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DarkShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,178
Re: why the fear of the ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake View Post
See that's what I wanted to see. What are Ur mods dark? I love machs. So even stock u would take em?
im a 04 GT. intake mani, bigger throttle body and plentum, CAI, tune, full offroad exhaust,underdrive pulleys, mgw shifter, 3:73 gears with torsion diff, and a **** ton of suspension work. im more of a road racer/ autoxer, but i just happened to go to a test n tune one night and lined up with one. im sure it was a driver's race, but run what you brung (but cant help if you cant run it i guess)
__________________

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
My '02 WS6 put 300hp to the wheels, bone stock. It did 317 with an air-lid and cat-back. It's best 1/8th was 8.5@85mph. Automatic transmission with factory 3.23 gears.

I've never dyno'd the 'vette. It's probably a few hp shy of what the TA did. They got better intakes in '01, at least. I think they may have put a bit more aggressive cam in them, too (but dont quote me on that one). The best 1/8th I've done in the 'vette was 8.7@84mph. Automatic with factory 2.73 gears. The 'vette is bone stock.

They're good solid, well-performing, simple engines. My first choice for any project car I would build. 4-eyed fox, anyone?
Oh there's no arguing that they mad mad power. My issue was that some of my fellow enthusiast are in the wrong thinking they don't stand a chance because "x magazine says" etc... I used to lust for a ws6. But I got over it. Still have respect though.
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
The ls engine platform is great. I made a living off those for years. The bottom end stock is almost bullet proof. Six bolt mains. Valve trains are weak but can be improved. Strap a blower on one and it can be an animal. You should see how the heads are built. You can fit your hand in the intake ports. On lighter note. Most of them won't even make eye contact with me when I am in my cobra. Haha
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: why the fear of the ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
The ls engine platform is great. I made a living off those for years. The bottom end stock is almost bullet proof. Six bolt mains. Valve trains are weak but can be improved. Strap a blower on one and it can be an animal. You should see how the heads are built. You can fit your hand in the intake ports. On lighter note. Most of them won't even make eye contact with me when I am in my cobra. Haha
I literally have begged other guys to dig with me when in my terminator.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
I get a lot of attention from from ls1's I mean I am no terminator lol I wish. Some guy at a light asked if it was a Gt he never herd if a mach 1 lol I like to joke with people when they never herd my car I say it's a v6 lol
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
mz98snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue
I get a lot of attention from from ls1's I mean I am no terminator lol I wish. Some guy at a light asked if it was a Gt he never herd if a mach 1 lol I like to joke with people when they never herd my car I say it's a v6 lol
what kind of mods does Ur mach have?
mz98snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz98snake

what kind of mods does Ur mach have?
Right now I got bbk x pipe Borla cat back and intake with a ram hdx clutch and I put the clutch in my self I am getting I am getting it tuned in a month prolly v
Buying an sct tunner and getting dyno'd to
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
We've got a local ls specialty shop with a lot of clientele and another one that builds some serious ls cars. We got a lot of great competition around here. Not that much hating from either side either. Except for the import turds. Haha. It's a good scene down here.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
t56 ls1 zinprogress 1996-2004 Mustang GT 3 11-28-2010 08:28 AM
LS1 Anybody JROC General Car Discussion 7 10-16-2006 10:29 PM
FEAR Combat: MarkuzLS1 The Bar 27 08-18-2006 08:06 AM
Anybody play FEAR here? MarkuzLS1 The Bar 24 05-04-2006 09:21 AM
Kyle...fear the 3.5... meteorachick The Bar 14 01-23-2006 11:13 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:36 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.