what the mechanic told me...need input - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
what the mechanic told me...need input

since i got the new ram clutch installed, he told me the shaking im feeling goin into gear is the stock aluminum flywheel i have.. because i have such a bettter clutch he said the aluminum flywheel may be warped and im feeling it since this clutch is biting down 10 times harder and that its not a big deal... am i being fed some bs or what? and do 99 cobras come stock with an aluminum flywheel?
nasty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Just got mine resurfaced. No chatter at all. Mine is aluminum.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: what the mechanic told me...need input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Just got mine resurfaced. No chatter at all. Mine is aluminum.
he glazed it or somethin but didnt cut it. im just worried cuz my exhaust is so loud i have things shaking loose, now i got this shaking on top of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty99

he glazed it or somethin but didnt cut it. im just worried cuz my exhaust is so loud i have things shaking loose, now i got this shaking on top of it
That's an aluminum flywheel with a steel contact ring riveted to it. You need to get it resurfaced to get a true flat surface. And it's probably gonna kill that new clutch too.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's an aluminum flywheel with a steel contact ring riveted to it. You need to get it resurfaced to get a true flat surface. And it's probably gonna kill that new clutch too.
thats exactly what i was afraid was gonna happen. i was told that if he cut it, then it would be takin some credit off the flywheel and it wouldnt be as strong
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

thats exactly what i was afraid was gonna happen. i was told that if he cut it, then it would be takin some credit off the flywheel and it wouldnt be as strong
They are only good for a couple cuts. After that they need replacing. If it was never cut before, it should be good for one. Probably the mechanic doesn't have a machine to cut it. Not many places do have the right machine.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Road Trip!

I just happen to be lucky enough to have a family member with a flywheel machine. So I was able to see it be cut.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sometimes new clutches chatter their *** off. Drive yours for a while to see if things change.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They are only good for a couple cuts. After that they need replacing. If it was never cut before, it should be good for one. Probably the mechanic doesn't have a machine to cut it. Not many places do have the right machine.
fml
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Sometimes new clutches chatter their *** off. Drive yours for a while to see if things change.
explain chattering..
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

explain chattering..
Just what you are feeling. Slight slipping before full engagement due to uneven surface. Doesn't take much especially with a light flywheel.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend
Good advice. Give it about 500 city miles. If it isn't gone by then there is a problem. When I put my centerforce df in it chattered a bit til about 300 miles in and it went away. And after it got super grabby. I stalled it quite a few times til I got used to it. Oem vs centerforce isn't even a game. What a great clutch. I will never buy anything but a df ever again. Great product

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

Is it a stage 2 or stage 3? I had a stage 2 installed on my GT and it was very smooth no chattering at all. Every time you change a clutch resurface the flywheel. Or just do a flywheel upgrade while your in there.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97
Is it a stage 2 or stage 3? I had a stage 2 installed on my GT and it was very smooth no chattering at all. Every time you change a clutch resurface the flywheel. Or just do a flywheel upgrade while your in there.
My centerforce was a dual friction. Not stage 2 or 3. And anytime you change the clutch you have to re-surface the flywheel or it may chatter or not mate properly because of leftover friction material on the flywheel. I just bought an aluminum flywheel so I gotta drop the tranny and install it. An aluminum flywheel lowers the rotational mass. Which means it takes less power to get spinning. I don't yet know how drivable it is but once it's in I will post on how it feels

Built 2 Last TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Good advice. Give it about 500 city miles. If it isn't gone by then there is a problem. When I put my centerforce df in it chattered a bit til about 300 miles in and it went away. And after it got super grabby. I stalled it quite a few times til I got used to it. Oem vs centerforce isn't even a game. What a great clutch. I will never buy anything but a df ever again. Great product

Built 2 Last TTT
+1
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT