Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New to having a mustang and was wondering for some advice

14K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  sonicpony03 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased a 2004 orange mustang gt deluxe, and this is my first muscle car I have purchased since I was the tuner sort of guy. It has 60k on it and a full 3in exhaust and that's it besides smoked tail lights but I have some questions on what I can do to upgrade it and was wondering what engine, suspension upgrades would help and where I could go to purchase them. Since I'm in the army it is hard for me to work on the car all the time but still put aside my weekends for it. Any advise would be truly helpful. Ohh and need to know how much the upgrades will cost. Since my friends have a 00 camero SS and a 06 charger srt-8 my goal is to prove to them that the mustang is able to blow by them on th street but they think otherwise.

#9 ·
Ur going to need some serious mod work to keep up with the camaro as the ls1 is a great motor, and n/a 4v is about even with a camaro ss and the 99-2001 cobra have 320 to the crank. And mach 1s are rated at 305(under rated) Bc insurance but I would say get some gears, tune, and exhaust/ intake, and it will be hell of a lot closer

#11 ·
Get some pics up. I love orange

#15 ·
ArmyScout said:
I will post some pics later on this week I have to go to training all this week but when I get back I will for sure I do need some help about upgrading this lovely car tho.
Not a problem u can get lots of great advice here

#16 · (Edited)
K bro. Glad to have you. K for suspension lower control arms do a world of good for the wheel hop our cars suffer from. Now for the motor. If you aren't going to put on long tube headers then leave the stock manifolds and forget shorty headers. They just don't give enough power to make it cost effective. So just go from the cats back. K now motor. If you want a cai it's for looks only. The stocker flows pretty good and is already a cai. Now for tb and plenum. A 70mm tb is as big as you want to go unless you plan a blower then get the biggest you can buy,but if your gonna stay n/a 70mm is tops because any bigger slows the velocity of the incoming air charge. The plenum is the real restriction and needs to be replaced right away. A tuner is a total must and just to make the whole driving experience better get a new shifter if you have a 5 speed. The stocker just sucks and blowing the 2nd to 3rd shift is horrible. Underdrive pulleys are a great Idea too. Speaking from experience all those intake mods made my car feel like a total different animal. And hears go without saying. These mod motors love to rev and are pretty efficient in the upper rpm range. If your an automatic you need 4.10s for sure. Having driven a new edge with 4.10s and 3.73s the 3.73s felt not much better than stock but the 4.10s made city driving insane. I went with 3.90s and could not be happier with the choice. Not unbearable for city driving,mileage is better in the city and about same on the highway but it pulls so much better. And with gears install is key. If they whine it's the install. I have motive gears and they don't whine at all. K that is all

PETOM.biz TTT

#18 ·
as said its not super easy to get the base 260hp up super high, you should have no trouble getting up a good bit but... much over bolt ons its going to take getting into the engine.

Suspension is VERY important, just as important as the power mods so dont over look them as the Mustang has GREAT improvements from suspension parts (when the right ones are used)

#19 ·
You wouldn't need much to pass them by. Possibly a 100 shot of spray and some lower gears. I know you will kill the SS and possibly the SRT since the weight is a factor for his car. But possibly you may need more depending on your driving experience and type of transmission you may have in it.They aren't as fast as everyone says they are. I have an SRT-4 that will walk the dog on both of them with little to no effort on my part. LOL.....

#22 ·
Yah bolt ons are good for some gains but you won't be keeping up with Ls1's. Spend a few grand on an intercooled blower and run at low boost (stock internals). Maybe a turbo for better overall gains. Throw some taller gears and some suspension mods to get that increased power to the ground.

Only other options are spraying or diving into the engine - H/C/I.

The 2v's are great engines but need some time and money to make fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.