Mustang Evolution Forum banner

? About tires

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Supersnake4.6 
#1 ·
Will 275 45 or 50 17 fit on a stock rim with 245 45 17?

#2 ·
first ? is what are you trying to accomplish... and second.. my theory goes with the fact that the guys at ford get paid a ton of money to recommend whats best... if your on a stocker wheel my opinion goes to stayin the 245/45/17 route... just my .02

#5 ·
01 GT factory wheel should be 17x7. You really won't accomplish alot moving up to a 275.

If you're wanting more rubber on the ground look into some aftermarket 9 inch wide wheels.

#6 ·
Stock is 17 x 8

And 275 is considerably wider than the stock 245. 30mm to be exact. However 265 might be about as far as you want to push on an 8" wide wheel.

Lowflyn you do know that the first number is the tire width in milimeters right?

And OP if you are trying to maintain the stock rolling diameter to keep an accurate speedometer you will be better off with a 275/40/17 if you really want to keep the 17" wheels on the car

#9 ·
They will "fit". Doesn't mean they'll fit properly though. 275 is too wide for an 8" rim. IF you decide to do it anyway, at least find a brand whose tires are generally more narrow for a given advertised width (i.e. Nitto).

I would recommend 245 for 8" wheels, 275 for 9" wheels.

#19 ·
Alscobra said:
What size is oem?
245/45r17
And a 275/40r17 fits but will run a bit wide on the rim because they are an inch wider on the tread. I wouldn't suggest running them in the front because of the roll of the sidewall when turning but on the back they are fine. I have 245/45/R17 on the front and just put on 275/45R17 on the back and they are just barely proud of the rim. And for anyone wondering about what the numbers mean for example 245/45R17 the first number is the tire tread width in mm,the second is the % of tread width is the height of sidewall and last number is rim

PETOM.biz TTT

#21 ·
ajpturbo said:
You guys are easy over here....Too much fun and so ill informed.

Yes a 275/40/17 will keep your speedo accurate. It is exactly the same circumference as the stock tire 25.7"

And there is no correct tire size. You can put what ever size you want on. But unless compensated for, the speedo will not be correct. Fact is that most people don't know what the numbers on the tires mean so the stickers are there to show what the vehicle came with and so people don't accidentally or purposely put improper sizes that rub or throw off the speedo too much.

And it's silly that you said there are no gains to be had by putting on a 275mm wide tire. So the Cobra's and and GT 500's do it for looks I suppose. And since there are no plausible gains to be had the OP should get some 195/70 17 since they are cheaper to buy since a wider tire won't yield any gains.
K you are kinda pushing the safety envelope. A tire that goes to much wider than the rim will cause serious handling issues and may even break the bead when cornering hard. Op on a 17 inch rim a 275/40R17 is max safe ok. And I almost agree with you japdinktroll but why you gotta be such a smart ass. Saleen might be a bit off here but why not retort back with facts and back them up instead of being an *******. We are all friends here

PETOM.biz TTT

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Buddy. Your saying that any tire size is correct. Putting a 315/35r17 on a 17x8 inch rim is not only incorrect but dangerous. The contact patch would be ill-formed creating massive handling issue causing an accident and or injury. The info you just posted is almost close. If a newb reading this followed your advice its a recipe for disaster.

PETOM.biz TTT

#24 ·
Sorry, I was out of line. I won't let it happen again.:D

Tire rack has a great tech section. It's where I get wheel and tire info. All rims have a range of tire widths that will fit.

A 245 wide tire needs a rim width of 7.5"-9"

265 needs a rim width of 9"-10.5"

275 needs 9"-11"

295 needs 10"-11.5"

Pulled from tire rack.

Look up a tire size then look at the specs for that tire and it will tell you what width rim to run. They are on the conservative side, meanin that you could run a 1/2" narrower width wheel than what they say. But as some will argue they are the experts so it may not be wise to deviate from there recommendations but some will argue that they have done other things and it worked out fine.

#25 ·
Tire Rack is alright for info I guess but I will NEVER use them again.............absolutely HORRIBLE service...I had a very specific deadline I had to meet with my truck on rims and tires and they backordered $3500 worth of stuff for 2 months without ever saying a word to me....but no stick with 245-265

#26 ·
ajpturbo said:
Sorry, I was out of line. I won't let it happen again.:D

Tire rack has a great tech section. It's where I get wheel and tire info. All rims have a range of tire widths that will fit.

A 245 wide tire needs a rim width of 7.5"-9"

265 needs a rim width of 9"-10.5"

275 needs 9"-11"

295 needs 10"-11.5"

Pulled from tire rack.

Look up a tire size then look at the specs for that tire and it will tell you what width rim to run. They are on the conservative side, meanin that you could run a 1/2" narrower width wheel than what they say. But as some will argue they are the experts so it may not be wise to deviate from there recommendations but some will argue that they have done other things and it worked out fine.
K...I have 275/40R17 on my 17 inch stockers and thats as far as I would push it as far width on these rims. I do agree with you that the automakers are conservative on issues such as this but come on. We got kids on here that will take our word as gospel so let's try to give them good advice. Sorry to be an *******

PETOM.biz TTT

#29 · (Edited)
ajpturbo said:
Here I'm quoting my own post. I said 275/40/17 if he wants to keep 17" wheels, and said nothing about width.

Everett I never said you were an *******....I'm just enjoying the tech on the forum and having discussions....Isn't that why we are all here? It's all good

At the top I said 265mm might be as wide as you want to push on the 8" wide wheel and not the 275mm that you said is ok EVERETT so I don't think I was giving any ill advise
I said I was being an *******. And the ill-advice I was referring to was putting any 17 inch tire on. And 300mm is just over an inch so in theory it's a half inch on each side which isn't really alot however it isn't recommended by the manufacturer.I wouldn't put a 275/40R17 on the front either. Rear only. Cornering hard with a tire that size has a chance of breaking the bead. The rear is fine because there is less force pushing sideways although there is still alot of pressure and there is a possibility of failure.

PETOM.biz TTT

#31 · (Edited)
ajpturbo said:
You guys are easy over here....Too much fun and so ill informed.

Yes a 275/40/17 will keep your speedo accurate. It is exactly the same circumference as the stock tire 25.7"

And there is no correct tire size. You can put what ever size you want on. But unless compensated for, the speedo will not be correct. Fact is that most people don't know what the numbers on the tires mean so the stickers are there to show what the vehicle came with and so people don't accidentally or purposely put improper sizes that rub or throw off the speedo too much.

And it's silly that you said there are no gains to be had by putting on a 275mm wide tire. So the Cobra's and and GT 500's do it for looks I suppose. And since there are no plausible gains to be had the OP should get some 195/70 17 since they are cheaper to buy since a wider tire won't yield any gains.
I did say the speedo comment Haha I knew better, but it went right over my head.
As far as the width I was speaking in the same terms as Everett and safety. Also, its been shown hat just bc u go wide your tread placement isn't always more or better bc of fit and if u really want to push the button... how much more weight is that wider tire (i kid I kid)

Handler of Great Whites

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.