Tapping from a 2v - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Tapping from a 2v

K so I have a 2000 gt. It's the Windsor edition engine before they switched to the Romeos in 01. I don't remember last year whether or not the valve tap was this loud. It's definitely valvetrain and coming from both heads. Does anyone else notice their valvetrain being unreasonably loud. And honestly it's not that it's really loud but when I pop the hood it is noticeable. The engine has 80k on it. As far as oil I am using Amsoil's signature series 0w30 and moly. I was thinking I should try a more robust 5w40 but I would feel guilty only going not even 5000 miles on this oil. The motor does spend alot of time above 4000 rpm and I just checked it and it's still almost as clear as when it went in. Anyways mod motor guys let me know what kind of sounds your engines are making and what mileage. Thank you

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Tapping from a 2v

Sorry to hear that buddy. Hope you figure it out.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Try a heavier oil. 0w30 is some really thin stuff. Down here, the go to oil has always been 10w30. It's an older motor and a heavier weight may be needed now. You may be suprised.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Try a heavier oil. 0w30 is some really thin stuff. Down here, the go to oil has always been 10w30. It's an older motor and a heavier weight may be needed now. You may be suprised.

I was gonna go up to a 40 weight. I don't think anything is actually wrong I just never really noticed the sound before. And she is getting up there in miles. I just don't know what mod motors are supposed to sound like. Next time i am out import hunting i will try to take notice of another edge gt and pull him over,try to compare.And to think ford specs a 5w20 for these things...might as well use vegetable oil. I could just imagine what it would sound like then. Maybe even a euro spec 0w40. I just got 4 gallons of this 0w30 tho. It's Amsoils best stuff so I really don't see it being the oil.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Maybe try some Lucas additive.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow
Maybe try some Lucas additive.
I would never put that garbage in my crankcase. Thanks tho. All it is is gear oil. I think I am gonna just try a thicker oil. New Amsoil order going in. And I have been pretty hard on er the past week and a half. I need a buddy who builds motors I think.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
A lot of time above 4k? Try using 5th gear once in awhile
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
A lot of time above 4k? Try using 5th gear once in awhile
Hehehe. That's funny.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I thought you may like that
My 00 GT has 108k and I don't have any taps. The guy who owned it before me was older and just drove the car without beating it. He took pretty good care of it. As for oil I use Royal Purple 10w-30 and change it every 3k miles. I know it may be throwing some $ away but it gives me piece of mind. It only gets changed once a year so it doesn't hurt my pocket. I wish I could hear it to maybe offer more advice. Did you just start hearing this tap recently or has it always been there?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
I thought you may like that
My 00 GT has 108k and I don't have any taps. The guy who owned it before me was older and just drove the car without beating it. He took pretty good care of it. As for oil I use Royal Purple 10w-30 and change it every 3k miles. I know it may be throwing some $ away but it gives me piece of mind. It only gets changed once a year so it doesn't hurt my pocket. I wish I could hear it to maybe offer more advice. Did you just start hearing this tap recently or has it always been there?
See I am not sure if it always was...I never really listened. Once a year is fine with your oil. And with oil the first number is the winter viscosity and the second is viscosity when hot so I basically am using the same stuff only it's thinner when cold. I am just gonna run this stuff til next weekend then switch out to a 40 when I change plugs and injectors. I am giving away some Bosch platinum 4s if anybody wants em....free...I need coppers for nitrous
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

@ ksrumbel your my hero : )
Redlsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlsea
@ ksrumbel your my hero : )
I try to change lives. You are welcome
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
0W-30 is NO thinner than 10w-30 once warmed up. And the thinner oil is said to flow better upon start up becuase of it being thinner so it's able to get through the squirters faster.

Evererett do the valves need adjusted? Maybe the valve lashing is out of spec becuase of the age and causing some noise or tired springs?

The difference between the 10w30 and 0w30 is the 10w is thicker when cold. 10 viscosity when cold as opposed to 0 viscosity when cold
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Road Trip!

I found out what it was. It was on the verge of blowing a plug,which went on me today. And your right,the first number in a multi-viscosity oil is the winter weight. The second number is the weight when warm. That's why if you look at the labels for example 10w-30 the w is attached to the first number. Ya anyways thanks for the advice. Picking up a heli-coil kit tomorrow and hoping for the best
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Road Trip!

And if this heli-coil kit becomes an issue I am just saying to hell with it and buying a 4v set up. I would love to spin er to 7000 rpm
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Road Trip!

If the valve covers have to come off I will check the valve lash. If I got er open anyway I might as well do it all. Thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to JoeyR

Hey, i really kinda glanced at this thread. But i will give u my input. I had what sounded like a serious metallic sound coming from my motor but only when really cold. Eventually(around a year) it got to the point of a constant death sounding noise. so i decided it was time to get too the bottom of it. brought it in the shop to find my timing tensioners were completely worn down to the point the chains were grinding on the tensioner itself. and my guides were in bits and pieces. After getting new chains/guides/tensioners, my car (144k) is back to sounding and driving like new! so before u go and dump money into an unsure thing please get the front motor cover removed(involves taking off valve covers) to ensure this was not the issue. The fix was around $350 all-in all which wasn't bad. i hope this helps. and FYI, if u had the extra money do cams as it would go hand and hand with this job.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT