03 GT Single Turbo Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #1

03 GT Single Turbo Question

Okay just saying, that you made a FULL custom turbo kit, on a mildly modded motor....i am curious but if you alreayd have full length headers on the car would you have to change them or would they work with a custom kit? Also i see alot of sites that say you have to have a tubular k-member kit on the car along with caster camber plates? Is that neccisary or just a sales pitch. I KNOW it can help but i am asking is it REQURIED?

thanks
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 03 GT Single Turbo Question

your headers will go bye bye they simply wont work with a turbo kit, it takes custom ones in every mustang application ive seen.

The reason they say you need a K member is it makes for more room, ive seen some that dont require this, some do... its a choice in how they make the kit.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #3

okay cool thats what i figured, i alreayd have the turbo back custom exhaust thought out and everything just checking to make sure i dont need the k-members!
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

See Hellion Power Systems - Home That's my advice
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
See Hellion Power Systems - Home That's my advice
see there price is 6grand....my custom kit is looking at around $2500 and better power! alsoa bit more unigue!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAxle View Post
see there price is 6grand....my custom kit is looking at around $2500 and better power! alsoa bit more unigue!
Well make sure you post pics / updates as you go.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

You can take the stock manifolds and turn them around backwards to use as headers.They work trust me i've tried it
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

mine are stock headers flipped around and the collectors cut of and a a 3bolt flange welded on

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ummm what? Better power? I would like to see the numbers if I may... Any kit can be faster than another, but do it with the same boost and same turbo and same motor with the same mods on the same dyno... I think you might just end up not making the same power.....

Another thing though, that kit comes with EVERYTHING save for a tune. Full stainless, tubular setup, the works.....
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996stang View Post
You can take the stock manifolds and turn them around backwards to use as headers.They work trust me i've tried it
Yupppers, my boss did the same with his. Just got some FRPP headers and turned them around.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Ummm what? Better power? I would like to see the numbers if I may... Any kit can be faster than another, but do it with the same boost and same turbo and same motor with the same mods on the same dyno... I think you might just end up not making the same power.....

Another thing though, that kit comes with EVERYTHING save for a tune. Full stainless, tubular setup, the works.....
already now about the headers! also my kti will have the look upa show engine, with a **** load of power to back it up! also this comes with a two stage tune, one for low boost and the other for higher boost! using a gt40 turbo i believe we decided on! but the numbers where looking at right now is around 525rwhp with around hopefully 600tqr is what where hoping for the tqr!

but i will hopefully have it done before october 1st is my deadline so hopefully starting around mid september...right now just getting all the parts and getting everything ready for my car to go down and get it all done! once it starts i will start a thread for the progress of it!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of transmission are you going to use and have you replaced your axles and diff to handle the power?

And I'm really not trying to be an *** at all, but you did avoid my question about how is it going to make more power?

Can't wait to see some pics of the buildup in the new thread!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
What kind of transmission are you going to use and have you replaced your axles and diff to handle the power?

And I'm really not trying to be an *** at all, but you did avoid my question about how is it going to make more power?

Can't wait to see some pics of the buildup in the new thread!!!
the hellion kit is only rated for around 450hp on the stock system! but the system is good up to 850! my kit will be cheaper look the same and be more effect for less money!

also the rear end will be rebuilt prior to this to make sure it can handle it! the axles will hold the power just fine! a friend has a 02 gt, mild built motor witha 2.8 big bore KB on it and still has stock axles on it! the transmission will also be rebuilt with a better flywheel and clutch prior to this! unless i can find a good t-56 tranny someone wants to get ride of for next to nothing!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the hellion kit is only rated for around 450hp on the stock system! but the system is good up to 850! my kit will be cheaper look the same and be more effect for less money!

also the rear end will be rebuilt prior to this to make sure it can handle it! the axles will hold the power just fine! a friend has a 02 gt, mild built motor witha 2.8 big bore KB on it and still has stock axles on it! the transmission will also be rebuilt with a better flywheel and clutch prior to this! unless i can find a good t-56 tranny someone wants to get ride of for next to nothing!

Several things.. If your buddies car ever hooks, those axles will snap.

The flywheel and clutch are not a part of the transmission. I'd recommend a TKO500 or 600

The hellion kit is rated at that because of the stock fuel system. If your car is still on the stock fuel system, it won't be able to make any more power than the hellion kit......
Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Several things.. If your buddies car ever hooks, those axles will snap.

The flywheel and clutch are not a part of the transmission. I'd recommend a TKO500 or 600

The hellion kit is rated at that because of the stock fuel system. If your car is still on the stock fuel system, it won't be able to make any more power than the hellion kit......
lol 500rwhp minimum is all i am gunning for! but most likely it will take a 255 fuel pump, probably up to 39lb injectors and get some better fuel rails!

but naw man you would be surprised at how much abbuse the stock axles can take! hes dd his on 10.5 rimes with 315 nitto 555r's he hooks real well!

also most likely i will jsut rebuild the hell out of the stock tranny becuase my brother has a tko500 with alum driveshaft in his and its a pain in the *** to get those trannys to install on 99-04 gt's. Need custom bellhousings and custom tranny mounts new shift and all theys other parts gets to be quite expensive. So i will probably jsut settle for stronger clutch and flywheel with a rebuilt stock tranny!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I did a quick skim and didn't see it so forgive me if I missed it but are you planning on doing this all with a stock bottom end?? I can see maybe not uprgrading the rear because the power isn't there instantly off the line like with a fully built NA car or even an SC'd car, but there is always the possibility of a snap.

BUT

There is no way you will be able to do this with a 100% stock motor. A stock 4.6 cannot take as much pressure as a stock 3.8. I believe the current average for the 3.8 is 10, and for the 4.6 is somewhere around 8 and 8 psi will not put you anywhere near 500rwhp. N2o on the other hand is a different story, a stock 4.6 can take a much higher shot than a 3.8. Again, forgive me if I missed your engine mod list, but if you don't already have one, you will need it.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #17

lol the motor is not stock it already puts about 260/290 at the ground...which isnt much but trust me the 8psi is going to be dd for race time it will be between 12-14 and this is with a stock bottom end!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Higher octane fuel for race time maybe?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Higher octane fuel for race time maybe?
nope this will be all be on 93 pump gas! eventually i will get it set up for 100+
Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol 500rwhp minimum is all i am gunning for! but most likely it will take a 255 fuel pump, probably up to 39lb injectors and get some better fuel rails!
You will all be NEED atleast 42's.... A 255 lph pump might keep up for a while but you also have to realize that you have to overcome an already pressurized cylinder due to boost.. All boosted motors(over say 8-10 psi) actually need to run more fuel psi(meaning a beefier pump) than an NA/Nitrous engine with the same power levels... And a 255 might make it, but when it goes, it will go fast, because that pump is going to have to work so hard. I would HIGHLY recommend an aftermarket fuel system for reliability's sake. [/quote]

Quote:
but naw man you would be surprised at how much abbuse the stock axles can take! hes dd his on 10.5 rimes with 315 nitto 555r's he hooks real well!
You just explained everything. N-I-T-T-O tires NEVER dead hook, unless you have drastic things done to your suspension. Like I said, I GUARANTEE if you put slicks on that car and even if he came out the whole soft, those axles would be one hard shift away from snapping, if he is running that massive KB blower.

Quote:
also most likely i will jsut rebuild the hell out of the stock tranny becuase my brother has a tko500 with alum driveshaft in his and its a pain in the *** to get those trannys to install on 99-04 gt's. Need custom bellhousings and custom tranny mounts new shift and all theys other parts gets to be quite expensive. So i will probably jsut settle for stronger clutch and flywheel with a rebuilt stock tranny!

No matter what you rebuild your tranny with it still won't be as strong as a TKO 500 or 600..... But I will say if you drive it soft it should last.

I'm not at all trying to be an *** about any of this.. I just don't want you to get to the drag strip and have something snap... But it's your car and your money... Hope it all goes well.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol the motor is not stock it already puts about 260/290 at the ground...which isnt much but trust me the 8psi is going to be dd for race time it will be between 12-14 and this is with a stock bottom end!
Your pistons will not last at 12-14 psi. My old boss is running a PT67 ball bearing turbo on a totally stock motor. He has a Focus fuel pump(which is about the same as a 255 lph), 42 lb inj, and other supporting hardware... At 10 psi, with tuning done at southernspeed(the same guy who does John Kolivas's NMRA DR car that run's low 8's) he is putting about 400 down on a mustang dyno, which is 450 to 475 give or take on a dyno jet. That car is at it's limit for fuel and the motor is already starting to smoke a little. The only reason is running 10 psi is because it's not his DD and if it breaks, the car can be down for a while. Your car will not have the fuel with a 255 pump, nor will the internals take that kind of power without damage. All it takes is one spec of detonation at that level and you will split the piston inbetween the rings......
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

lol wow. i have no doubt if you have the ability to build and fabricate your own custom turbo setup it can be better than a vendors kit. however i dont think you (Trans) understand whats going to happen at those power levels, unless you are building a turbo setup CAPABLE of that much power, but going to gradually step up as your weak spots (fuel, drivetrain, etc) become strong points.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Again, I hope all goes well, and we aren't trying to be a pain about it, but you will need to upgrade the motor. The bottom end will crack/slag/split/etc eventually with that high a boost. I realize Hellion advertizes their kit with the one guy who is pushing 12-14psi, but that cannot be a daily driver and if it is, he probably has access to a shop that can fix the motor in little time. It would be like using Justin of VMP as an example of what you can do with a stock V6 at 17psi. It's just not reliable at that level without ALL the saftey upgrades. It's all an investment.

For fuel I would recommend a twin pump tank with either 2 255's or 2 Ford GT pumps.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #24

see most liekly the rebuilt upgraded stock tranny wont be good enough but like i said if i come arcross a a good deal on a t-56 i will be all over it! i would prefer not to get a tko-500 after all the hassel my brother had to go through with his to get it in his 04 gt! the axles i am pretty sure will hold at 500rwhp...i have/know to many people with mustangs putting down 450rwhp+ and running fine! but they may need to be upgraded and they are pretty cheap to get upgraded so most liekly that will happen! also the 255 fuel pump will do the job...remember the 12ps-14psi will only be used at most 4-5 times a month...other than those times it will be a DD setting of 7-8psi!i will probably go a step up on the fuel sytem and go ahead and get the 42's and the fuel rails! but like i said this will all start coming together in mid next month when i start putting this all together! i will have when it starts the best i can a log of pics of the build!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

dude whats with all the exclamation points? too much sugar in the coffee?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I may have missed it in all the text, i just skimmed through it quickly, but what kind of gears are you planning to run in the rearend? that will make a huge difference in how you launch the car and how your car responds to a particular launching...

Also, unless I missed it, I don't believe you addressed the driveshaft anywhere...I don't know what the stock New Edge drive shaft is rated for because it's different from mine, but i am guessing it's probably only rated for 500 hp or so, so that would be another concern you will want to deal with...

As far as breaking axles, that will all be in how you launch the car and how you drive it every day...I will suggest that if you don't want to upgrade the axles themselves, upgrade every possible rearend suspension component you can(all control arms, support girdle, etc.)...that will save a lot of headache down the road...It only takes one good launch to leave your entire rearend sitting on the track...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
I may have missed it in all the text, i just skimmed through it quickly, but what kind of gears are you planning to run in the rearend? that will make a huge difference in how you launch the car and how your car responds to a particular launching...

Also, unless I missed it, I don't believe you addressed the driveshaft anywhere...I don't know what the stock New Edge drive shaft is rated for because it's different from mine, but i am guessing it's probably only rated for 500 hp or so, so that would be another concern you will want to deal with...

As far as breaking axles, that will all be in how you launch the car and how you drive it every day...I will suggest that if you don't want to upgrade the axles themselves, upgrade every possible rearend suspension component you can(all control arms, support girdle, etc.)...that will save a lot of headache down the road...It only takes one good launch to leave your entire rearend sitting on the track...
yeah i nenevr addressed the rearend i have a 3.73 in currently but plan to drop to a mach 1 3.55 gear when i get this done to give me a better range to launch the car with! the driveshaft i will upgrading along witht eh transmission to an alum. driveshaft!
also the axles will most liekly be replaced becuase they are still stock...alreayd have a drag suspension on order since the one i have curently isnt really built for power just to lower =/ but yeah i will be hopefully upgradeing most of the items before the turbo that way its not a headache down the road! but it all comes down to timing!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT