Mustang Evolution Forum banner

HELP

3K views 61 replies 11 participants last post by  wereKEV 
#1 ·
Ok so I was driving home from work get to a red light take off in first switch to second but it won't go in gear so I try third, fourth, and fifth. Nothing. I couldnt seem to get it in any gear. Finally I get it in to third and get home like that. I didn't smell my clutch burning or anything so I don't think it could be that. My clutch pedal did feel a bit different. Mayb my clutch cable came lose?? I would really appreciate any answers.

#31 ·
Any suggestions on what clutch to get? I had a centerforce dual friction clutch in mine but I've been hearing bad things about them lately! Oh and thanks for the help guys! I talked to a transmission shop and I told him the problems I was having and he told me "sounds like your synchros are bad, it's probly time for a rebuild."

#32 ·
Snstr99svt said:
Any suggestions on what clutch to get? I had a centerforce dual friction clutch in mine but I've been hearing bad things about them lately! Oh and thanks for the help guys! I talked to a transmission shop and I told him the problems I was having and he told me "sounds like your synchros are bad, it's probly time for a rebuild."
All of your syncros are not gonna go bad at the same time. Clutch it and go from there.

#33 ·
Alscobra said:
I'm guessing that you're gonna replace the clutch, cable, quadrant, adjuster. I found a steeda kit on amazon. Cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster. $100. Good deal.
American muscle, and u got a stage 2 so u deff need it

#34 ·
Snstr99svt said:
I would say get a ram hdx I got that for my car it's better than stock. To also make sure ur flywheel is okay to. Get it resurfaced. To do it your self isn't bad to be honest, it take's more time unbolting the exhaust. The clutch is 250 American muscle. Free shipping.

#44 ·
I've had nothing but spec's in my car since the stocker crapped out. I've been through a few but that's more because of my style of driving, lack of proper cable adjustment, and being over the rated HP limit of the clutch. All in all, they are a real good clutch.

#45 · (Edited)
01gt said:
Well I can start it in gear clutch down but can't take it out of first. And it does go in gear while the engine is off
Sounds like a tranny problem. Not clutch. If it was the clutch it wouldn't disengage and the car would lurch..k edit. Maybe not. And as far as clutches I suggest google. I have read really good and bad about spec. I have a centerforce df and love it but I have also heard horror stories about them. If your at stock hp I would just stick with oem.

#47 ·
01gt said:
My mods include:
Bbk CAI
Bbk headers
Steeda short shift
Flowmaster exhaust
Any suggestions??
Spec stage 2 or 2+ should be good. They are all hit or miss. Spec, centerforce, ram. A good break in is key. Not sure how much hp your car had stock. Get a clutch that is rated above what you have though.

#49 ·
01gt said:
Thanks and by breaking in you mean?
Easy stop and go city driving for a few hundred miles. You're gonna want to put your foot in it but you have to take it easy for a bit. I only have a couple hundred miles on mine and haven't went full throttle yet. It's smoothing out the more I drive it and so far it feels good. I have a spec stage 3+ in mine.

#51 ·
Alscobra said:
Easy stop and go city driving for a few hundred miles. You're gonna want to put your foot in it but you have to take it easy for a bit. I only have a couple hundred miles on mine and haven't went full throttle yet. It's smoothing out the more I drive it and so far it feels good. I have a spec stage 3+ in mine.
Oh ok I got one last question. When I purchase the clutch and the quadrant adjuster do I also buy the pilot and TOB

#52 ·
If you buy a clutch kit, odds are it will come with the pilot and possibly TOB. When I Bought my Spec 3+ kit it came with both of those items. I didn't use the TOB because the spec one is not as sturday as the OEM ford piece, so I bought a ford one for like $25.

But I would say yes, buy them both if they don't come with your clutch when you buy it.

#53 ·
PureVenom said:
If you buy a clutch kit, odds are it will come with the pilot and possibly TOB. When I Bought my Spec 3+ kit it came with both of those items. I didn't use the TOB because the spec one is not as sturday as the OEM ford piece, so I bought a ford one for like $25.

But I would say yes, buy them both if they don't come with your clutch when you buy it.
Ok and if they don't come with it I could just go down to my ford dealership and the should have it right?

#54 ·
Yeah, those are the kind of things they should have in stock. If not, it wouldn't take long to get them.

Or if you want, I can point you to a place that will have 10% over stock pricing but it's $14 shipping so it kind of kills the discounts.

#56 ·
PureVenom said:
Yeah, those are the kind of things they should have in stock. If not, it wouldn't take long to get them.

Or if you want, I can point you to a place that will have 10% over stock pricing but it's $14 shipping so it kind of kills the discounts.
Hey if you wouldn't mind pointing me in that direction that would be great! I gotta do that whole setup as well.....would you guys recommend I just resurface my flywheel or get a new one? And if I should get a new one what are the differences between the billet steel and billet aluminum other than weight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.