rough idel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
rough idel

IDk what's going on I took my car to autozone so they could pull a code and it did it said bank 1&2 are running lean I changed my mass air sensor fuel filter and no vacum leaks so idk it's not my injecters any ideas
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
It sound like I have a cam in the car it lops 6 to 800 rmps I am so confused on what it could be it's not my o2 sensors either
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Mine is doing that too. Ever since I put that stupid cai on. It's not throwing any codes tho
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
Yeah I have a cai to so nothings wrong just to be sure becuase I have not drove it since
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
Idk I have to figuar it out by 5 tmaro so anybody lol I need this done thanks
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3
Clean your idle air control valve
Hotttoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
Were is that
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
USAF_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 890
Re: rough idel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Mine is doing that too. Ever since I put that stupid cai on. It's not throwing any codes tho
yeah mine started that too...hopefully after I get a tune it'll smooth it out
__________________
USAF_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3
On the side of ur upper intake a 1" hose should plug into it and a electrical connector
Hotttoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3
And if the valve is super easy 2 move it's bad
Hotttoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvMyMustangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang

yeah mine started that too...hopefully after I get a tune it'll smooth it out
I just ordered a cai for mine. And I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Are there places that I can take it to get it tuned after we install it or do I have to buy a tuner which I can't afford right now.
LuvMyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Replace your IAC (idle are control) it is on the front of the plenum sort of diamond shaped. I had the same problem and it fixed the problem. It's inexpensive and you should be able to get it at an auto zone
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
You dont need a tune for a cai on a new edge cause they don't do anything.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMustangGT

I just ordered a cai for mine. And I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Are there places that I can take it to get it tuned after we install it or do I have to buy a tuner which I can't afford right now.
I really don't think a tune is absolutely necessary after a CAI if you are strapped for cash. It won't grenade your motor or anything but will wake it up
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
USAF_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 890
Re: rough idel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
You dont need a tune for a cai on a new edge cause they don't do anything.
gotcha. Wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the air/fuel ratio. I know on my bike it made a lot of popping and rough idle until I got it tuned after my racing intake was put on
__________________
USAF_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
LuvMyMustangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel

I really don't think a tune is absolutely necessary after a CAI if you are strapped for cash. It won't grenade your motor or anything but will wake it up
Awesome Thanks! My husbands going to love me. I ordered the cai and a chin spoiler today.
LuvMyMustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel

I really don't think a tune is absolutely necessary after a CAI if you are strapped for cash. It won't grenade your motor or anything but will wake it up
What? A cai. Sorry bud but on a new edge it won't do squat. Compare a cai to the stocker. Same diameter pipe,same bends. Honestly save your money and just buy a high flow air filter and pull off the silencer. Free cai
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
Ok I cleared my iac and WTF a loud humming noise was comming Crome my engin turned it off soon after what is going on????
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
My car was doin the same. I replaced my IAC and cleaned my throttle body and plenum and still did it. Then i replaced my cam and crank sensor and it works fine now.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

What? A cai. Sorry bud but on a new edge it won't do squat. Compare a cai to the stocker. Same diameter pipe,same bends. Honestly save your money and just buy a high flow air filter and pull off the silencer. Free cai
I think my post was unclear bud. My meaning was the tune will wake the car up but just isn't necessary after a CAI. I also don't believe a CAI will do much of anything
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake4.6
Ok I cleared my iac and WTF a loud humming noise was comming Crome my engin turned it off soon after what is going on????
Woah dude check to see if there is oil in it.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
CAI dnt do anything. Thats why all i have is a k&n cone filter.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: rough idel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake4.6 View Post
IDk what's going on I took my car to autozone so they could pull a code and it did it said bank 1&2 are running lean I changed my mass air sensor fuel filter and no vacum leaks so idk it's not my injecters any ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake4.6 View Post
It sound like I have a cam in the car it lops 6 to 800 rmps I am so confused on what it could be it's not my o2 sensors either
Replace your IAC (idle are control) if it continues to idle roughly after cleaning.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake4.6 View Post
Ok I cleared my iac and WTF a loud humming noise was comming Crome my engine turned it off soon after what is going on????
What kind of humming noise? Is it coming from the internal engine? Pulleys? need more info. What did you use to clean the IAC and did you do it on the vehicle?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: rough idel

Excuse my stupidness but what the hell is a edge gt?
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
Lalayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,066
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
Excuse my stupidness but what the hell is a edge gt?
Must have meant New Edge (99-04)
__________________

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Supersnake4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Florida
Posts: 160
More from the pullys but j found the problom it a vacum leak I have a cracked intake manafold
Supersnake4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersnake4.6
More from the pullys but j found the problom it a vacum leak I have a cracked intake manafold
That makes sense. I guess I will find out tomorrow if mine is
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 136
Re: rough idel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
You dont need a tune for a cai on a new edge cause they don't do anything.
This couldn't be further from the truth. This is why so many people get CEL's and cars that don't run properly after installing a CAI or short ram intake.

for cars that use the MAF instead of the MAP sensor to determine fueling for the motor it is essential that the tubing surrounding the MAF have the same geometry of the stock intake tubing. If not, the ECU will not properly fuel the motor becuase the readings for grams per second of air entering the motor will be skewed because the geometry of the tubing has changed around the MAF. Basically it will think there is a different amount of air entering the motor than there really is because air will pass over the MAF differently becuase of the tubing geometry. People in the forced induction know this all too well in vihicles that are fueled by the MAF instead of the MAP sensor.

And to the OP, if you don't have the money for a tuner you will not have the money to get the car TUNED either as you will have to have the money to buy a tuner and take it to get TUNED which will cost you a few hundred dollars on top of the tuner.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpturbo

This couldn't be further from the truth. This is why so many people get CEL's and cars that don't run properly after installing a CAI or short ram intake.

for cars that use the MAF instead of the MAP sensor to determine fueling for the motor it is essential that the tubing surrounding the MAF have the same geometry of the stock intake tubing. If not, the ECU will not properly fuel the motor becuase the readings for grams per second of air entering the motor will be skewed because the geometry of the tubing has changed around the MAF. Basically it will think there is a different amount of air entering the motor than there really is because air will pass over the MAF differently becuase of the tubing geometry. People in the forced induction know this all too well in vihicles that are fueled by the MAF instead of the MAP sensor.

And to the OP, if you don't have the money for a tuner you will not have the money to get the car TUNED either as you will have to have the money to buy a tuner and take it to get TUNED which will cost you a few hundred dollars on top of the tuner.
K...on a 05 sure...99-04 your wrong
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

K...on a 05 sure...99-04 your wrong
Get em.
__________________
www.petom.biz
Joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Snapple750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang

yeah mine started that too...hopefully after I get a tune it'll smooth it out
Opposite for me, mine drops to like 300-500 rpm, and then up to 750-800 rpm whenever I give it gas with the clutch in or in neutral. Before it idled at 900-1000 and dropped a little
__________________
2 Legit 2 Quit
Snapple750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #32
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 136
Re: rough idel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
CAI dnt do anything. Thats why all i have is a k&n cone filter.
Interesting concept. Good thing I don't believe everything I read.
ajpturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #33
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,635
Clearing things up. A CAI is just what it stands for. Cold air intake. Colder air will contain more oxygen than hot air. More oxygen means better combustion. May not lead to more power but it will allow the engine to be more efficient. The computer system will compensate for the added oxygen so there may be minimal fuel economy increases. Vehicles with Intake systems that are fairly restrictive will benefit more from a CAI. Unrestricted colder air always a plus. So they are not worthless but not a necessity. The computer system will always control air/fuel ratios. If your air filter is sitting under the hood and doesn't have a barrier around it or is not in the fender well away from heat, your doing nothing but sucking in more hot air.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Clearing things up. A CAI is just what it stands for. Cold air intake. Colder air will contain more oxygen than hot air. More oxygen means better combustion. May not lead to more power but it will allow the engine to be more efficient. The computer system will compensate for the added oxygen so there may be minimal fuel economy increases. Vehicles with Intake systems that are fairly restrictive will benefit more from a CAI. Unrestricted colder air always a plus. So they are not worthless but not a necessity. The computer system will always control air/fuel ratios. If your air filter is sitting under the hood and doesn't have a barrier around it or is not in the fender well away from heat, your doing nothing but sucking in more hot air.
Do you think colder air is actually making it way into the combustion chamber? Is the degree change actually different? Maybe when you first run the car it might be true but after driving awhile pull over and feel the intake tube. It is hot as hell. I'm just thinking out loud. I wonder of anyone actually tested to see if the air is actually cooler. Maybe If they get a display from the air temp sensor? Thoughts?
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #35
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Under 20 mph the air underhood is much warmer then the outside air. Above 20mph the difference in temp is negligeable
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough idle upton7 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 12-14-2009 08:34 AM
Rough Idling greenmustang27 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 05-14-2009 09:29 AM
ROUGH IDLE joseandmarilyn 1979-1995 Mustang GT 8 09-28-2007 12:39 AM
Idel @ 2800 ? idrivehotrods Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 02-27-2007 08:34 PM
Rough Idle and Rough Start Cajun JungleBoy Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 04-23-2006 11:33 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.