2V Supercharging - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Skype™ to Lastoria24
2V Supercharging

I'm leaning towards the Vortech (V2?) Supercharger, once I get the money/time to do it, probably won't be until fall or something...

The whole kit just really appeals to me. From what I can tell, i literally won't need to buy anything else other than this kit. My Mustang is total stock trim, outside of exhaust and a shifter.

Am I mistaken by this? Will i need to have it dyno tuned? Will the driveability change much? What appeals to me is having a car that can take a beating, be a little quicker than stock, sound good and still be carefree to own.

Example, i had a 2000 SS 6spd, that i did heads/cam/rear end/clutch, headers, etc... It was fast, high 11's which was substantial over stock. The thing that killed me was how i didn't even enjoy driving the car anymore. I had a "hotcam" in it, an it thumped hard on idle, went through all sorts of nightmares trying to get the MIL off, had it dyno tuned, mainly to run better, etc... Did tons of suspension work too, which also killed it for me. The Eibach kit made the car look wicked, but it rode so hard. I even put KYB 8-ways on it and it didnt make a difference. Long story long, i hated just about everything I did, even though it looked sick and was pretty fast.

All i care about is possibly picking up some hp/tq, passing emmisions, no MIL, and run/drive near stock. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I hope this is something I could do...

Wow, if any of you read this whole post, my apologies. I tend to rant when i have something im trying to get off my chest...
Lastoria24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 2V Supercharging

you will end up around 380-400rwhp depending at about 10psi. Reliability wise you MUST have the vehicle custom tuned which can run you a good bit depending, you do NOT want to run the tune that they send you.

You will end up needing a new clutch etc etc as parts wear more with more hp. Drivability should not suffer that much as its boost so you only use it when you want it~

If you are really looking for a good solid platform thats easy and cheap to make great power from with a built motor and many other great extras then consider selling your car and saving that 5-6k you would need to put a supercharger on it and purchase an 03/04 cobra that will have about the same hp/tq stock as you would with a GT and a supercharger.

Exhaust/Intake/different supercharger pulley size/tune you are looking at 450-470rwhp/tq for a very small investment and you can go MUCH further instead of being maxed out at 10psi/400rwhp... you will have room to grow up to about 600rwhp
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

make sure you got bigger fuel pump and injectors, and deff have it dyno and tuned at a shop, u will get more power out of them fine tunning it
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I am thinking about doing this too! What would I need to run 10 psi?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

i have a vortech im my 98 gt and i love it, drivablity didnt change. Like the guys before me said, get the custom tune, bigger injectors (i have 42LB), and a bigger fuel pump (I have a 255lhp).
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh sweet how much psi you running?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I run the v2 in my 03 gt and love it. Dyno tune is a must. I have a 2.95 pulley as well as a anderson power pipe and aftercooler kit. Im running 13-14 psi. I have a 255 pump(new walbro for returnless system) and my fuel pressure dropped off at 3500rpm. I made 409 wheel with the fuel pressure cutting off. My tuner said once i install my boostapump ill make 460 wheel on a moderate safe tune and it will still drive like stock until i put it to the floor.
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

not sure on the size of the pulley, but according to the dyno sheet at redline its putting in 8.5lbs of boost.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

My .02......from my supercharged 2V and 4V experience.

If you want to do it RIGHT, you will need AT LEAST an SVT focus fuel pump (usually people go with a Ford GT pump now because of availability and capability), 42 lb. injectors, a BA-2400 MAF, and a dyno tune.

You *could* get away with a boost a pump, stock MAF, injectors (or maybe even an FMU), and the canned tune......but I would advise ANYBODY against that.

What I stated above will definitely cost a little more....but it will be more safe, it will perform better, and it is simply better.

I'm partial to Vortech, I've owned 4 of them I think....but remember that they don't come with an intercooler standard like ProCharger kits do. Not necessarily required depending on climate, vehicle purpose, etc.....but definitely nice to have given the option.

Make sure you have supporting bolt ons if you bolt on a supercharger. You *can* put one on a stock car.....but it doesn't make much sense to spend all that time and $$$$ forcing air in if you can't get it out (meaning you need a good flowing exhaust).

Done right it should be a VERY comfortable, fun to drive, dependable vehicle. I've owned supercharged mustangs and cammed LS vehicles....if you're looking for something that you don't have to "put up with" quite as much, it sounds like you're on the right path.

-Will
Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok it sounds likea lot. The maf is just the thingconnect to my cai correct? I don't know what injectors are and don't some kits come with. A new fuel pump?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

not to sound like a dick but if you dont know where ur MAF is and what injectors are then this project maybe too much for you to handle
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you will end up around 380-400rwhp depending at about 10psi. Reliability wise you MUST have the vehicle custom tuned which can run you a good bit depending, you do NOT want to run the tune that they send you.

You will end up needing a new clutch etc etc as parts wear more with more hp. Drivability should not suffer that much as its boost so you only use it when you want it~

If you are really looking for a good solid platform thats easy and cheap to make great power from with a built motor and many other great extras then consider selling your car and saving that 5-6k you would need to put a supercharger on it and purchase an 03/04 cobra that will have about the same hp/tq stock as you would with a GT and a supercharger.

Exhaust/Intake/different supercharger pulley size/tune you are looking at 450-470rwhp/tq for a very small investment and you can go MUCH further instead of being maxed out at 10psi/400rwhp... you will have room to grow up to about 600rwhp
You didn't mention that it would cost twice as much to replace a cobra 4V when the engine lets loose, and the clutch is very heavy for daily driving

I looked at cobras/2011 GTs and ended up getting the 06 GT over both..

My 01 GT w/procharger @10PSI put down 382 WHP and 366 tq on 91 octane tune. It is not all that loud and people don't expect it like they do with the cobra
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
You didn't mention that it would cost twice as much to replace a cobra 4V when the engine lets loose, and the clutch is very heavy for daily driving

I looked at cobras/2011 GTs and ended up getting the 06 GT over both..

My 01 GT w/procharger @10PSI put down 382 WHP and 366 tq on 91 octane tune. It is not all that loud and people don't expect it like they do with the cobra
the clutch doesnt have to be so stiff, no idea why its that way really. An after marekt which holds more and is better is as light as an OEM GT's which has always been odd to me... but someone with an 03 cobra with 400rwhp~ has nearly 300k on his stock clutch
Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast
not to sound like a dick but if you dont know where ur MAF is and what injectors are then this project maybe too much for you to handle
+1. Supercharging is not for newbiees.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well there are always good shops that can handle all that stuff, you just have to decide that if the car were to blow up tomorrow you could handle it, not that it would be fun but its not going to destroy your life or what not as thats always a possibility on any car, more so on supercharged etc ones pushing far more hp.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was just making sure!!! But whatever man!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gtdriver View Post
Ok it sounds likea lot. The maf is just the thingconnect to my cai correct? I don't know what injectors are and don't some kits come with. A new fuel pump?
If you are telling the truth here and not joking, you need to do a LOT more research and/or pay somebody to do this for you.

-Will
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes obviously I would. I can't a supercharger for 2500. Its a bolt yeahh the fmu is the most complex thing but it will done. Thanks for trying to help me though. The only reason asked were the maf was because I don't understand why I would need a bigger one if its just a sensor.?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gtdriver
Yes obviously I would. I can't a supercharger for 2500. Its a bolt yeahh the fmu is the most complex thing but it will done. Thanks for trying to help me though. The only reason asked were the maf was because I don't understand why I would need a bigger one if its just a sensor.?
Factory maf is too small and will restrict the airflow to the supercharger.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok thanks!!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gtdriver
Oh ok thanks!!
You live in WA. and you want to drive a SC Stang? Amazing...
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you say that?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gtdriver View Post
An upgraded fuel pump and larger injectors are FAR superior to an FMU.

The stock MAF sensor is only capable of reading so much....I.E. this limits the amount of horsepower it can support

-Will
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok thank you for making it clear!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT