need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
need help

Ok. I had a real bad misfire a few weeks ago. I changed out the plus,wires,and coils. Since then a new issue seems to have developed. When the car is first started and driving it runs fine. Once the engine warms up the car starts acting like its misfiring. It bucks a little and it doesnt want to accellerate. It has a smell like methonal, it reminds me of the smell from the methonal fueled cars from the track. I am not getting a check engine light (i know its just a dummy light). Does this sound like the effects of a clogged catalytic converter? The exhaust sounds like it is putting like maybe something is clogged. Ive never had a car with 2 cats so could this be just one cat clogged? any help would be great. Thanks guys.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Thats usually is a sign of cats. Not changing plugs for a long time will cause unburnt fuel to contaminate the cat and eventualy to clog it up. We end up putting new cats on vehicles at my shop at least twice a month because of lack of mainenance and the low quality of fuel today
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Re: need help

Thanks! I have talked to a few other people and they think its the cats also. Is there any issues with just hollowing out the cats rather then getting an offroad pipe? I know I will still need the mil eliminators, but I'd rather save myself some money rather then buy new stock cats or spending $200 plus on a X-pipe. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it could be a miss since you were messing with the plugs/wires check them for signs of anything odd, burnt wires etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what I did this weekend. I pulled everything. I checked the plugs,went over each wire. I even tightened each wire with a pair of needle nose pliers to make sure they were staying on the plug. The main thing making me beleive it is the cats is the fact that the car runs fine until it gets to normal operating temp. That seems to be a sure sign of clogged cats, atleast with what i've read and what others have told me. Oh and it died twice this weekend. Both times it was when I pulled into the drive and put the car in park.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also need to check egr. It will cause a similar issue as well. Go ahead and clean iac too
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

How do you check the egr? At this rate im gonna end up paying to have diagnostic ran on the damn thing. Its not giving me a engine light,which blows my mind with how bad its running. I just put a code puller on it and it came back with no codes. Im about at my wits end hear.lol
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
Ok. I had a real bad misfire a few weeks ago. I changed out the plus,wires,and coils. Since then a new issue seems to have developed. When the car is first started and driving it runs fine. Once the engine warms up the car starts acting like its misfiring. It bucks a little and it doesnt want to accellerate. It has a smell like methonal, it reminds me of the smell from the methonal fueled cars from the track. I am not getting a check engine light (i know its just a dummy light). Does this sound like the effects of a clogged catalytic converter? The exhaust sounds like it is putting like maybe something is clogged. Ive never had a car with 2 cats so could this be just one cat clogged? any help would be great. Thanks guys.
just to throw another idea out there. mine would run good cold then misfire when it got hot. turned out i had two injectors breaking down to the heat. when they were cool they would operate fine. when they got hot the resistance in them was too high and they stopped putting fuel out. just throwing that out there
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. DOne throwing money at this problem. I called the Ford dealership this morning. Its $100 bucks for a full diagnostic. At this point I'm happy to pay that just to be done with this headache. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will post what the issue is/was when I get it solved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT