'02 Cam setup..? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
'02 Cam setup..?

I'm really wanting my next little project to be a cam upgrade. I see most cams are around $500-$700, so I'm not worried about prices... More-so I want to hear about cams people are already running and how they perform.. Both in sounds and in get-up-and-go!

Also I would like to know if it's a job someone could tackle themselves in terms of install because I know some cams don't need a timing change.. And if I took it to a shop, what's a ballpark on install?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Taking it to shop is big money. It can be done by anyone with mechanical abilities with basically simple tools. You have to remove timing cover and valve covers, which you need a puller to remove balancer pulley. Make sure you mark timing components to you know how to set timing. You should degree the cams which is the hardest part. Cams for these motors will all be somewhat close as this is an interference motor and it cant have too much lift without having notched pistons. Dont go more than a stage 2 cam otherwise too much lift.
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Taking it to shop is big money. It can be done by anyone with mechanical abilities with basically simple tools. You have to remove timing cover and valve covers, which you need a puller to remove balancer pulley. Make sure you mark timing components to you know how to set timing. You should degree the cams which is the hardest part. Cams for these motors will all be somewhat close as this is an interference motor and it cant have too much lift without having notched pistons. Dont go more than a stage 2 cam otherwise too much lift.
Awesome. I know how to take it down to what it needs to go to, then. That's cake.

And I was thinking about doing a stage II on account of me possibly going FI someday soon.

As for "degree" the cams.. What does that entail?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The cam gears from the factory are off up to 4 degrees. Which means that one heads can be set 4 degrees forward and the other could be opposite meanong 8 degrees difference. Its a time consuming task specially for a first timer and hard to explain. Google it and there are many how tos. Its not the difficult but thr first time is confusing. If you plan FI you might want to go with a blower cam. Crower makes nice cams but there are many other choices that are just as good. Im not sure where you are located but in my area (tampa) there are used cams all over craigslisy all the time that come with gears and are already degreed. You can really score that way. I think i saw some on the corral forum the other day too under the modular parts for sale section. That forum is by far the best for buying/selling parts or info
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT