Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Alternator fire!?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  skyline247 
#1 ·
I was adding some Slick 50 engine treatment to my pony. And during the test drive i feel it begin to misfire. I pull over, pop the hood, and catch sight of the glowing red hot terminal on my alternator(and it was my fault for not putting the rubber boot over that port). Apparently, the spark plug wire was making contact causing it to arc(sp?)...

Upon fixing it.. i drive to the gas station and pop the hood smelling burning rubber. I open the hood and the boot is in flames. i blow it out, and figure:

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Preparation description : Highly refined mineral oils and additives.
Synonyms : Slick 50 Engine Treatment

WHMIS Controlled Ingredients

Chemical Identity CAS No. Conc. W/W
Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy
paraffinic 64742-65-0 60.00- 100.00 %

Blend of petroleum distillates and additives.

Maybe some of the contents dripped onto the valve cover, and could have dribbled on the terminal causing it to burn hotter and then catch flames..

SOMEONE tell me it seems logical, or is there something completely unrelated and my alternator screwed and i have to resolve it mechanically???
:uhh:

See less See more
#2 ·
i dont know what started the fire bit i will say do not use slick50 in any engine. they taught us in school about this stuff. it does what the bottle says it does. it lubricates really well. too well. it uses a type of silicone that fills in the cross hatching in your cylinder walls. the oil can no longer get in the cross hatching and causes the piston rings to wear abnormally fast. when the rings wear down enough the piston begins to eat into the cylinder wall till it ruins the engine. of course this takes time but it will eventually crater your motor.

and i have an idea about your problem. your plug might have shocked the alternator good enough to where it blew the voltage regulator inside. now it cant control its voltage and is putting too much out. just a thought. dont know if it can actually do that or not

#6 ·
glad i could help lol :)

as ive seen in other threads ppl will argue when they dont study what they are arguing about. im sure someone will argue with me about this stuff and say they have used it several times with no problem. but they dont realize it takes time for the damage to show up. it could be a year or two before the rings wear enough but it will eventually happen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.