Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Longtubes on auto??

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  98gtdriver 
#1 ·
I was just wondering since recently I had to change an exhaust gasket up between the header and mip pipe cuz it went bad, but I've got BBK shortys on my 2002 automatic gt and I wanted longtubes. But somebody was telling me it wouldn't fit cuz of it being auto. Is it that true?? cuz I hate shortys. It's just a pain having to do work on it with no room up there..

#2 ·
Long tubes are worse. You cant take the tranny out without taking the headers off. And to do that you usually have to lift the engine. All around it's a pain.

#7 ·
where are you located in texas?
and dont do it. the cobra engine barely fits in there as is. longtubes are a effing nightmare with those engines.

#6 ·
its definitely doable, but like Texas said, it is a lot harder. Just in getting them into position mostly. Cuz with shortys alot of the time you just take some brakcets off and remove the stock headers, but with longtubes in most cases you have to lift the engine out a little so that you have more room to manuver them into place, plus with shorty's you can keep you stock exhaust without modification so you don't even interfere with there placement comparatively. But you do get more out of long tubes obviously. should not interfere with the transmission, at most you would have to do a little modification to the rest fo your exhaust.

#8 ·
Texastboneking said:
where are you located in texas?
and dont do it. the cobra engine barely fits in there as is. longtubes are a effing nightmare with those engines.
Yea idk, the first I'll do to the cobra will be exhaust if nothings been done to it. I'm located in the spring area, north of Houston

#12 ·
Well if ur ever in Houston theres a meet every Saturday around 10:00 out in kingwood off 59 at lubys right off the feeder heading north I think, just passed deerbrook mall

#16 ·
There are goods and bads to both. The shorty headers are a pain to install but you can get a good increase oh fp. But make sure they are tuned shorty because they are meant to keep up with the long tube design. The long to design increase the output of ponys quite a bit but, like every one said there will be the hassle getting to your transmission, and then you would also need new pipes etc because of the differnce in length. I would recommend the shorty tuned headers!

#17 ·
98gtdriver said:
There are goods and bads to both. The shorty headers are a pain to install but you can get a good increase oh fp. But make sure they are tuned shorty because they are meant to keep up with the long tube design. The long to design increase the output of ponys quite a bit but, like every one said there will be the hassle getting to your transmission, and then you would also need new pipes etc because of the differnce in length. I would recommend the shorty tuned headers!
I agree got the bbl tuned shortys installed not only does it sound angry but the higher rpms u feel the power these thing bring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.