battery light/volt gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
battery light/volt gauge

Ok so after doing a PI intake manifold swap on my car my buddy and I had an issue with the alternator wire being pinched on the new bracket. I took the alternator to be tested and ended up buying a new one. I have also had the battery charged and tested and checked all the fuses. Everything is testing good but my battery light is still on and my volt gauge is reading right around 10. Does anyone know what else I can check? We didn't have that big of a spark and I figured it would blow a fuse before it blew any thing else. I'm lost and not wanted to put the car back in the shop again. Please help.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: battery light/volt gauge

take a picture of the pinched wire.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

IIts not pinched anymore. We corrected that issue immediately. It was the power wire to the alternator. It got pinched on the new bracket that came with the manifold. Once we correxted that I charged the battery and had the alternator checked out and then replaced. So the wire issue corrected,new alternator,recharged battery with cleaned post and clamps,all the fuses checked,still battery light on and volts reading low. Is there a relay located elsewhere that could have blown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Road Trip!

ccrm. but i dont think thats likely. check with a voltmeter to see if you have power at the output of the alternator
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Are these the same readings you got before you swapped the alternator? If not, then you might have gotten one with a bad voltage regulator.

Also, check your grounds.
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687 View Post
Are these the same readings you got before you swapped the alternator? If not, then you might have gotten one with a bad voltage regulator.

Also, check your grounds.
Yeah,I changed the alternator because my battery light was on and my volts were reading low. I had the old alternator tested because of the battery light/volt gauge issue. I mean I could have gotten a bad,new part but I'm thinking there is sometghing else wrong. When they tested the old meter they said that the alternator was charging but something in the alternator had blown causing my battery light to come on. They told me replacing the alternator would remedy the problem but it didn't. So I don't know if its actually charging or not. Is there a sensor that could have blown out? I'm not getting ang engine codes .
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Road Trip!

no. shoulnt be a sensor. check the smaller wires that run to the alternator and make sure they didnt get damaged,
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
no. shoulnt be a sensor. check the smaller wires that run to the alternator and make sure they didnt get damaged,
They looked fine,but I will check them again. Can that connector be replaced? I noticed it was a little loose before.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Road Trip!

if you can find one. look at salvage yards. you will have to cut and splice the wires
Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Take it back and they can test it again. On the car is best right now.
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know where I can find the electrical schematics for the 4.6. I spoke with the company I purchased they swap kit from and they said it sounds like I blew one of the fusable links in the alternator wire. I need the schematics to locate the links so I can replace them.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc
Anyone know where I can find the electrical schematics for the 4.6. I spoke with the company I purchased they swap kit from and they said it sounds like I blew one of the fusable links in the alternator wire. I need the schematics to locate the links so I can replace them.
There is a way to check that... Run a jumper cable from the alternator output post to the positive on the battery. If it charges then you blew it
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna sound like a complete dumbass but bare with me. What's the best type of cable to use? Just like the hot side to a pair of jumper cables? Also will the volt gauge show its charging when I do this? Like should my battery light turn off during this test? Sorry about all the dumb questions but you are helping me a ton boneking.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc
I'm gonna sound like a complete dumbass but bare with me. What's the best type of cable to use? Just like the hot side to a pair of jumper cables? Also will the volt gauge show its charging when I do this? Like should my battery light turn off during this test? Sorry about all the dumb questions but you are helping me a ton boneking.
Use a good set of jumper cables. Not a cheap 14gauge set. An yes use just the red wire of the jumper cables. Just make sure the black wire don't touch anything (+). And yes the battery light should go off and the gauge read correctly.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldn't be safer to just visibly inspect them? Aren't they under the hood between the alternator cable and the power distribution box? Are they hard to get to or something?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc
Wouldn't be safer to just visibly inspect them? Aren't they under the hood between the alternator cable and the power distribution box? Are they hard to get to or something?
You could do it that way. But if the wire is burned up in the cable you might not see it easily.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

You could do it that way. But if the wire is burned up in the cable you might not see it easily.
True. I see what your saying. I just don't want my battery exploding or some dumb crap like that happening. Seems to be my damn luck here lately.lol
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc

True. I see what your saying. I just don't want my battery exploding or some dumb crap like that happening. Seems to be my damn luck here lately.lol
Shouldn't. Batter runs to the alternator. Your just bypassing that wire to see if the wire is bad
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. The output post is the post that the wire from the wiring harness connects to I'm guessing. Its the only thing you could hook anything to.lol
Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc
Ok. The output post is the post that the wire from the wiring harness connects to I'm guessing. Its the only thing you could hook anything to.lol
The one big red wire yes
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Great. I appreciate all your help. I will be testing this out over the weekend. I will let you know what the results are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT