good bolt ons to start with? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: good bolt ons to start with?

+1 on the PI swap suggestions...the swap basically gets you up to 99-04 4.6L specs...possibly more if you upgrade some components and tune.

There are a few more parts needed for the swap than just the heads and intake.

This write up is a damn good one. Between this and MRC's experience installing one you should be set to go

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

Nitrous isn't expensive

-Will
Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

looks like im ready then..
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Best bolt ons to start with - Coil Packs - Wires - Plugs - Exaust - 3.90 or 4.10 Gear ratio (dont know if I would consider that a bolt on) Simple stuff like that will give you better gas mileage and decent power gain. Also throw in a 75 or 70 Throttle body. I prefer K&N intake. Coil packs and wire I'd go with MSD. Plugs I'd head for Any iridiums, my prefrence what I put in was NGK Iridium IX's. Exaust You'll have to do some shopping around for what sound you like. I like SLP Loudmouths or even Flow master American Thunder. MAC is what I have. Alot of the stuff is personal Prefrence but this is a basic list to get you thinking on your Gas mileage and performance gain so your getting the best of both worlds. Most of the simple stuff you can get at a good price at american muscle. Also I'd have to say one of the best HP Gains would be from NPI to PI intake and head swap for like a 45HP Gain. all this stuff will put you above a 99-04 GT HP
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx
Best bolt ons to start with - Coil Packs - Wires - Plugs - Exaust - 3.90 or 4.10 Gear ratio (dont know if I would consider that a bolt on) Simple stuff like that will give you better gas mileage and decent power gain. Also throw in a 75 or 70 Throttle body. I prefer K&N intake. Coil packs and wire I'd go with MSD. Plugs I'd head for Any iridiums, my prefrence what I put in was NGK Iridium IX's. Exaust You'll have to do some shopping around for what sound you like. I like SLP Loudmouths or even Flow master American Thunder. MAC is what I have. Alot of the stuff is personal Prefrence but this is a basic list to get you thinking on your Gas mileage and performance gain so your getting the best of both worlds. Most of the simple stuff you can get at a good price at american muscle. Also I'd have to say one of the best HP Gains would be from NPI to PI intake and head swap for like a 45HP Gain. all this stuff will put you above a 99-04 GT HP
Curious as to why your recommending coil packs for performance?
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

great lists.. thanks . also for future reference , would u guys recommend turbo or sc?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Curious as to why your recommending coil packs for performance?
A coil pack builds up energy of each spark when the cyclinder ignites the fuel. the coil pack will cause better response and better gas mileage.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
A coil pack builds up energy of each spark when the cyclinder ignites the fuel. the coil pack will cause better response and better gas mileage.
not saying your wrong but where are you getting this info?

from what i understand a spark from a oem coil is sufficient enough to power todays cars. aftermarket ones like msd (which are on my car when i bought it) are overkill and wont do anything for you unless your boosted or have other crazy mods. but maybe you know something i dont?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
great lists.. thanks . also for future reference , would u guys recommend turbo or sc?
all in prefrence. I like Pro Chargers. If not a KB Super Charger.... Turbo's seem to belong on like Honda civics is my thought. Super Charger seems more natural on a mustang to me.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Quote:
all in prefrence. I like Pro Chargers. If not a KB Super Charger.... Turbo's seem to belong on like Honda civics is my thought. Super Charger seems more natural on a mustang to me.
i agree with that right there
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not saying your wrong but where are you getting this info?

from what i understand a spark from a oem coil is sufficient enough to power todays cars. aftermarket ones like msd (which are on my car when i bought it) are overkill and wont do anything for you unless your boosted or have other crazy mods. but maybe you know something i dont?
It is a little over kill yes but it allows your wires to run at full performance... It definitly isnt a necessity but it does help. Its just a boost of satisfaction. Like I know my car is a project car so I'm consitantly swapping things out. So what your saying is true yes it is over kill to a certain extent. But will it give you a extra edge over all? Yes, it will upgrade it. If you don't upgrade your coil packs than theres no sense in getting high performance Wire or plugs either because stock coil packs are gunna hold all the energy of high performance plugs and wires. Such as MSD Wires and NGK Plugs.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
It is a little over kill yes but it allows your wires to run at full performance... It definitly isnt a necessity but it does help. Its just a boost of satisfaction. Like I know my car is a project car so I'm consitantly swapping things out. So what your saying is true yes it is over kill to a certain extent. But will it give you a extra edge over all? Yes, it will upgrade it. If you don't upgrade your coil packs than theres no sense in getting high performance Wire or plugs either because stock coil packs are gunna hold all the energy of high performance plugs and wires. Such as MSD Wires and NGK Plugs.
not quite true. motorcraft oem coils actually can support performance wires and plugs. they might not put out what msd can but you will still see a increase in volts running through performance wires. and the reason i was asking is cause coils arnt cheap. and you wont gain much at all from them. it just seams too expencive of a mod to only get 1-3 hp. thats my line of thinking.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not quite true. motorcraft oem coils actually can support performance wires and plugs. they might not put out what msd can but you will still see a increase in volts running through performance wires. and the reason i was asking is cause coils arnt cheap. and you wont gain much at all from them. it just seams too expencive of a mod to only get 1-3 hp. thats my line of thinking.
Like I said, in the long run it's the extra edge. I didn't say you were gunna gain 20HP. :] It's just the fact that if you know your gunna put a big upgrade on it you have the stuff to support it. It's almost like having stuff to charge a battery with out having a battery to charge. coils arent cheap but there also not super duper expensive either. there around 140$ for both. BUT if you want an older car to run at good efficientcy stock coil packs on a car that has 100K+ miles the coil packs arent gunna be at 100% efficientcy, at that time your lucky to be at 85%. I tested mine and im at 109K miles my coil packs are starting to be heavily affected by the wear and tear. You'll restore lost Ponys and gain a few new ones.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

thats what i was thinking too lol. i just had to ask because me and a few friends kept telling me that a turbo was the best period weather its in a muscle car or a honda (any ricer). i disagreed. i guess im not wrong then
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx

Like I said, in the long run it's the extra edge. I didn't say you were gunna gain 20HP. :] It's just the fact that if you know your gunna put a big upgrade on it you have the stuff to support it. It's almost like having stuff to charge a battery with out having a battery to charge. coils arent cheap but there also not super duper expensive either. there around 140$ for both. BUT if you want an older car to run at good efficientcy stock coil packs on a car that has 100K+ miles the coil packs arent gunna be at 100% efficientcy, at that time your lucky to be at 85%. I tested mine and im at 109K miles my coil packs are starting to be heavily affected by the wear and tear. You'll restore lost Ponys and gain a few new ones.
Lol well I was thinking new for new.. Yeah anything will be better than 100,000 mile coils
Old 06-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
thats what i was thinking too lol. i just had to ask because me and a few friends kept telling me that a turbo was the best period weather its in a muscle car or a honda (any ricer). i disagreed. i guess im not wrong then
Turbos have a higher potential but unless your planning on an engine overhaul with performance parts. I'd go with a supercharger
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

so if i were to install a super charger in my fully stock besides the 3 73 gears i wouldnt get as good a performance as if i were to install a turbo?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
Turbo you can tend to get good results out of but its the same thing with Super charger.. It's all variation on what you like and what you think is better. The sound of a turbo wich is a suck up hiss than release Supercharger is more manly and deeper. Basicly - Supercharger is ment to be on american muscle - Preferd results.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Turbos have a higher potential but unless your planning on an engine overhaul with performance parts. I'd go with a supercharger
+2 and Of course so if your gunna replace coils than replace it with something more benificiary correct? it's worth the little extra money at that point,
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

Nitrous

-Will
Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

great answers thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Superchargers are good.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Here's the link for the PI swap:

PI Headswap Write-Up - Mustang Forums at StangNet

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT