I wanna go FAST! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: I wanna go FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0 View Post
Cheap, Fast, Reliable.

Pick two. Our unfortunate reality.
He's right.....

You need an aftermarket heat exchanger more than the 03/04 guys. You have higher compression, and your shortblock is less stout. You need all the cooling you can get.

A good one is a couple hundred bucks. Do it.

And like he said.....you can only pick two.

My advice would be to take the extra couple months to save the cash to do it right. You'll be glad you did

-Will
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.

Pick two. Our unfortunate reality.
Cheap and reliable. With as much fast as safely possible. I'm getting the set up for free. What power can I make with it as is. In a year or two I plan on lowering the compression and getting forged rods and pistons. So I just need to get it running now and have a little fun while I can.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk

He's right.....

You need an aftermarket heat exchanger more than the 03/04 guys. You have higher compression, and your shortblock is less stout. You need all the cooling you can get.

A good one is a couple hundred bucks. Do it.

And like he said.....you can only pick two.

My advice would be to take the extra couple months to save the cash to do it right. You'll be glad you did

-Will
Well I don't have a few more months. The guy is needing my intake in one month. That's when we are trading. If I'm not ready he is going to find someone else and I'm going to loose this opportunity...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

330 is OE rated at the crank.....not RWHP. Your car with 350 RWHP would have him covered easily

-Will
My last dyne report was at 307 rwhp if you subtract 20% for loss at 330 it'll be like 284 or some oddness so I'll keep up with him I think but in higher gears because I have 3.90 gears and he's at 3.73 he will slowly pull away + top end weight ratio will start to kick in against force of gravity. Thats why I'd like to get above 400 so he doesn't just add two things and keep up with me.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Cheap and reliable. With as much fast as safely possible. I'm getting the set up for free. What power can I make with it as is. In a year or two I plan on lowering the compression and getting forged rods and pistons. So I just need to get it running now and have a little fun while I can.

You will be fine. You don't seem like the kind of guy that lives at the track anyways. Do what K.F. Mohawk says, or as much as possible at enjoy the car. A good tune is key for safety. Keep the AFR in the 11.2-11.4 range and moderate 15* (or so) timing. The heat exchanger is a must though.

At least you are getting this stuff for free because when you build your shortblock the eaton will be useless to you, unless you add some giggle juice with it, which I personally don't like on a manual car.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0

You will be fine. You don't seem like the kind of guy that lives at the track anyways. Do what K.F. Mohawk says, or as much as possible at enjoy the car. A good tune is key for safety. Keep the AFR in the 11.2-11.4 range and moderate 15* (or so) timing. The heat exchanger is a must though.

At least you are getting this stuff for free because when you build your shortblock the eaton will be useless to you, unless you add some giggle juice with it, which I personally don't like on a manual car.
Can I not pulley the eaton and get a lot more out of it? And I hit the track once every three or four months... I'll start searching for a heat exchanger. Also need to get a afr gauge...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I don't have a few more months. The guy is needing my intake in one month. That's when we are trading. If I'm not ready he is going to find someone else and I'm going to loose this opportunity...

I've seen many people (myself included) rush mods due to lack of time or funds....and I've never seen it turn out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
My last dyne report was at 307 rwhp if you subtract 20% for loss at 330 it'll be like 284 or some oddness so I'll keep up with him I think but in higher gears because I have 3.90 gears and he's at 3.73 he will slowly pull away + top end weight ratio will start to kick in against force of gravity. Thats why I'd like to get above 400 so he doesn't just add two things and keep up with me.
Nitrous

-Will
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

I've seen many people (myself included) rush mods due to lack of time or funds....and I've never seen it turn out well.

Nitrous

-Will
+35 haha
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can I not pulley the eaton and get a lot more out of it? And I hit the track once every three or four months... I'll start searching for a heat exchanger. Also need to get a afr gauge...
Changing the pulley increases the boost....

but it also increases the blower RPM's and heat.

If you're in a hurry and on a budget, I would advise you to put the stock pulley on for now......and put a larger pulley on when you can afford a better heat exchanger.

-Will
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AFR gauge isn't required if you're not tuning the car.....the tuner should have one. Spend that $200 on something more useful.

What are you doing for fuel mods?

-Will
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:

Nitrous

-Will
It's rushed but I'm not going to go crazy with it. I'll make what ever power is safe to make. If I only make 400 then that's fine. I'll just be glad to have a free supercharger. Now if I can't get a heat exchanger then I'll just save up and change them when I can afford one. But I really want this charger. I've always wanted one. But I'm just broke lol
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:

Changing the pulley increases the boost....

but it also increases the blower RPM's and heat.

If you're in a hurry and on a budget, I would advise you to put the stock pulley on for now......and put a larger pulley on when you can afford a better heat exchanger.

-Will
No I was talking about pullying it once I built the lower end in a year or two.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #48
Road Trip!

Quote:

AFR gauge isn't required if you're not tuning the car.....the tuner should have one. Spend that $200 on something more useful.

What are you doing for fuel mods?

-Will
All the 04 cobra stuff lol. 04 cobra pump. 04 cobra injectors. I can solder new connections for the injectors I'd I have too
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

03/04 Cobras have a different fuel system than your car. They have a returnless system, you have a return style system.

You could pretty easily go with a 2.9 or 3.0 pulley safely, when you get a heat exchanger, on your stock short block. I know a guy with a Eaton swapped Mach (basically same shortblock), and he has that setup right now...

-Will
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Quote:
03/04 Cobras have a different fuel system than your car. They have a returnless system, you have a return style system.

You could pretty easily go with a 2.9 or 3.0 pulley safely, when you get a heat exchanger, on your stock short block. I know a guy with a Eaton swapped Mach (basically same shortblock), and he has that setup right now...

-Will
I was gonna leave the factory pulley on it for now. And I know the fuel system is different but I can still use an 04 pump with mine right?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was gonna leave the factory pulley on it for now. And I know the fuel system is different but I can still use an 04 pump with mine right?
They have dual pumps....

I'd say go with a 255 HP Walbro in tank. That should be sufficient, and they're only like $100. Then you wouldn't have to swap out your tank, lines, etc...

-Will
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #52
Road Trip!

Quote:

They have dual pumps....

I'd say go with a 255 HP Walbro in tank. That should be sufficient, and they're only like $100. Then you wouldn't have to swap out your tank, lines, etc...

-Will
Ok will do. Any other things you can think about? Also remember it his 100+ on a regular basis here in tx
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Get a lower temp thermostat and make sure your tuner turns your fans on earlier than OE settings. May also want to looking into the head cooling cross over mod, research it on SVTP

-Will
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

1. Where can I get ported PI heads and what is the cost compared to aftermarkets like trickflow?

2. My starting parts list is looking somewhere along the lines of
-70 mm TB and plenum
-Heads (Aftermarket or Ported PIs)
-Cams
-Headers
-42 lb injectors

3. Will my stock internals and block handle this plus a blower running around 9psi?

Any other suggestions??
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

OK i answered 1 on my own. I found the ported PI heads from Patriot Performance. From what i have seen the Stage 2s look like my best bet.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
1. Where can I get ported PI heads and what is the cost compared to aftermarkets like trickflow?

Livernois, Patriot, Steen (if they're still around), multiple others..... They'll easily support what you want to do, for less $$$ than Trick Flows.

2. My starting parts list is looking somewhere along the lines of
-70 mm TB and plenum
-Heads (Aftermarket or Ported PIs)
-Cams
-Headers
-42 lb injectors

3. Will my stock internals and block handle this plus a blower running around 9psi?

It all depends on the blower (size=volume) and the tune. Even with a good blower, it should probably handle it with a very conservative tune. If you want to do those mods + a blower and make real use of it, you'll need a built shortblock. A supercharger, headers/exhaust, TB/Plenum, fuel mods, and a tune can max out your stock rotating assembly......much less with heads/cams.

Any other suggestions??
Answers in bold

-Will
Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk View Post
Answers in bold

-Will
So in your opinion would i be better off to just forget the heads and cams and just go straight for a blower now? Keep in mind my goal is around 500 hp.

Another question... if i do fuel, exhaust, headers, intake and plenum upgrades along with heads and cams (No SC) what kind of numbers could i see?

And after reading through you talking to Bone...would i need to look into a new heat exchanger as well?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So in your opinion would i be better off to just forget the heads and cams and just go straight for a blower now? Keep in mind my goal is around 500 hp.

Another question... if i do fuel, exhaust, headers, intake and plenum upgrades along with heads and cams (No SC) what kind of numbers could i see?

And after reading through you talking to Bone...would i need to look into a new heat exchanger as well?
If your goal is 500 HP, you're going to need at least a budget built short block.

Yes, stock heads and cams with a supercharger could net you 500 HP, especially with full supporting mods.

If you do full bolt ons, heads, and cams....you'd probably make 380ish RWHP with an upgraded intake manifold.

You would be better off with an upgraded heat exchanger if you went with an 03/04 Cobra blower. If you went with a centrifugal, that does not apply

-Will
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I believe ive come to the conclusion that I'm just going to go with headers, exhaust, 36 lb injectors, 255 LPH fuel pump, 75 mm TB and plenum, Intake, and a supercharger. I've seen several of these set ups online and each make between 450 and 520 rwhp depending on tune and boost
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe ive come to the conclusion that I'm just going to go with headers, exhaust, 36 lb injectors, 255 LPH fuel pump, 75 mm TB and plenum, Intake, and a supercharger. I've seen several of these set ups online and each make between 450 and 520 rwhp depending on tune and boost
450+ is going to be pushing it on a stock shortblock

-Will
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

with the proper tune and the right amount of boost 450 wont be any issue
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
with the proper tune and the right amount of boost 450 wont be any issue

A proper tune will only save your pistons. 450+ and you will throw a rod right out the side of the block if it ever sees boost much. Also, the psi will not affect how long your engine will last.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT