Car has a stumble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #1

Car has a stumble

I have a 2004 Mustang GT that I've recently rebuilt the motor in due to a spun rod bearing. It had a loss of power when you would be driving along just cruising. But if you went to accelerate it would even out and pull like it is supposed to. I cleaned the MAF, replaced the coils and the plugs. Now it doesn't do that anymore but it has a stumble to it. Like it's got a miss kinda but it's not calling out a code. And again if you accelerate it doesn't do it. Only when your just cruising along. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RoadBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Usually our cars will not show a misfire code. Try unpluging one COP at a time and listen for the one the doesnt make a difference in idle. From there its either the COP , plug, or injector. Sometimes shops have hand held testers to test the injectors and cops. It sure is nice to have them at my disposal lol
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Usually our cars will not show a misfire code. Try unpluging one COP at a time and listen for the one the doesnt make a difference in idle. From there its either the COP , plug, or injector. Sometimes shops have hand held testers to test the injectors and cops. It sure is nice to have them at my disposal lol
+1 try using injector cleaners first as well sometimes there's some left overs in the way that just need to be blown out. I had the same issue injector cleaner actually was the fix after I spent over 300$ and some change on replacing stuff. When all it needed was a little 5$ fix at Walmart or a basic auto parts store
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Ok I'll give that a try I didn't think about that. But mine has called out misfires before. And the stumble doesn't happen really at idle. Just when it's cruising under load. I'm thinking it might be a fuel injector clog or sediment lodged in it so it's flowing to much fuel. Cause as I step on the gas calling for more fuel it evens out and runs right.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBlock
Ok I'll give that a try I didn't think about that. But mine has called out misfires before. And the stumble doesn't happen really at idle. Just when it's cruising under load. I'm thinking it might be a fuel injector clog or sediment lodged in it so it's flowing to much fuel. Cause as I step on the gas calling for more fuel it evens out and runs right.
Mine wasn't at idle either or when I'm just cruising only when I was romping on it. It was only high end not low end. It was an injector so try the stp fuel injector cleaner
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Ok that sounds like a good place to start. I got a bottle so I'll see if it helps at all.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBlock
Ok that sounds like a good place to start. I got a bottle so I'll see if it helps at all.
Give it 25-30 miles unless you put in a fresh tank of gas. I also only put premium in my tank you're car will run better. Even with mid grade
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx

Give it 25-30 miles unless you put in a fresh tank of gas. I also only put premium in my tank you're car will run better. Even with mid grade
Ur car doesnt run better if you use premium gas. Its actually better to use regular gas unles your car is tuned for premium. Ur just wasting money buying premium.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Im not trying to be an @$$ either. But i would use sea foam treatment in the gas tank.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08

Ur car doesnt run better if you use premium gas. Its actually better to use regular gas unles your car is tuned for premium. Ur just wasting money buying premium.
False, it should be tuned yes but you will get better results of gas mileage at burning. Higher octane levels. If you have it tuned it'll be more responsive with even better gas mileage
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try replacing your fuel filter also cause I was having the same symptoms your were having with mine.
sally2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #12

This sounds really dumb but have you check basics? Like change ur air filter, oil change and all of that? I did a oil change once and I went 2000 miles and I got a bad shutter feeling when I went too take off. So I did another oil change for the heck of it and bam shutter went away
98zx23369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: Car has a stumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98zx23369 View Post
This sounds really dumb but have you check basics? Like change ur air filter, oil change and all of that? I did a oil change once and I went 2000 miles and I got a bad shutter feeling when I went too take off. So I did another oil change for the heck of it and bam shutter went away
oil should never cause a shutter. the oil only lubricates parts. if your oil is bad the parts where out. changing the oil will not fix those parts
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #14

But if the oil is thick it takes longer to get though the oil passages which lead up to the camshafts causing lifter tick which in my vehicle created a shutter at take off. And it only causes wear on the engine components if it drastic. In my case it wasnt
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Re: Car has a stumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98zx23369 View Post
But if the oil is thick it takes longer to get though the oil passages which lead up to the camshafts causing lifter tick which in my vehicle created a shutter at take off. And it only causes wear on the engine components if it drastic. In my case it wasnt
yeah i can see liter tick. but even if every lifter was calapsed i dont think you would have a shudder. most common problem of a shudder is a cylinder missfire, now on take off a warped clutch and flywheel will cause a shudder
Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #16

Ok that's where we are thinking different. I am thinking of a shudder as like a hesitation like feeling. Almost like a misfire but with no engine knock sorry I was decibing a shudder as a sound not a feeling
Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98zx23369
Ok that's where we are thinking different. I am thinking of a shudder as like a hesitation like feeling. Almost like a misfire but with no engine knock sorry I was decibing a shudder as a sound not a feeling
Lol yeah that's digferent
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #18

Well sometimes if I stay on the throttle when it's being sluggish and stumbling it evens out and runs exactly how it should for a short bit. So if that helps anyone's diagnosis?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Try driving the car up to operating temp and tapping on the egr valve. If its sticking it can cause what you are describing. You can also check your fuel pressure regulator. Does it stumble every few cycles when it is idling? I just did an intake manifold swap and my car has been doing the same thing. I replaced everything from plugs,wires,coils,fuel filter,cleaned the maf and iac. Still had the issue. Saturday I knocked on the egr and it seems to be better behaved since. If you have a buddy with a stang try taking the fuel regulator of his car and put it on yours. If that clears up the problem you know to buy a regulator.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc
Try driving the car up to operating temp and tapping on the egr valve. If its sticking it can cause what you are describing. You can also check your fuel pressure regulator. Does it stumble every few cycles when it is idling? I just did an intake manifold swap and my car has been doing the same thing. I replaced everything from plugs,wires,coils,fuel filter,cleaned the maf and iac. Still had the issue. Saturday I knocked on the egr and it seems to be better behaved since. If you have a buddy with a stang try taking the fuel regulator of his car and put it on yours. If that clears up the problem you know to buy a regulator.
I will try this. It sounds like a good possibility for my car. Cause unfortunately the fuel treatment didn't do anything for me. Not even a little. So maybe hopefully this might help.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #21

Well I've tried the fuel treatment and I have a tuner so I turned the EGR off and still doing the same sputter and stumble. Could it be that the MAF is going bad? Cause I sprayed it down good with carb cleaner and the car seemed to do alot better for a short period. Could have just been a fluke but maybe not.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes maf can do this. You dont want to use carb cleaner use maf cleaner!
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
Yes maf can do this. You dont want to use carb cleaner use maf cleaner!
Carb cleaner can damage the MAF. Buy some MAF cleaner. Its just a few bucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT