radar detectors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
radar detectors

does any one have experience with these? do they work? they sound pretty cool!
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They do not work unless the officer keeps his unit on instead of in standby.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpd3014
exactly right
LOWCOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Can you explain more? I have always wondered why they don't work. I use one daily, but it's not like it saves me from tickets. I just like to know when I'm being clocked and when I'm being harassed. In Georgia, you have a right to request to see the radar.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: radar detectors

they do work if the officers detectors are on all the time but if they are in standby mode the detector cant pick up the signal. honestly they arent worth the hastle to me i took mine out of my Mustang. i was always told by the local officers if they see you have one, its an automatic ticket no questions asked.
sally2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

They can save you, but they're not a fool-proof ticket avoidance system. They'll go off whenever they detect microwave radiation (like, when an officer clocks a car somewhere in front of you, or whenever you drive by an automatic door opener). They'll do LIDAR detection, too, but there is so little scatter off that, it'll pretty much just let you know you just got zapped.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally2002
they do work if the officers detectors are on all the time but if they are in standby mode the detector cant pick up the signal. honestly they arent worth the hastle to me i took mine out of my Mustang. i was always told by the local officers if they see you have one, its an automatic ticket no questions asked.
My last traffic stop by a cop was in 2004, a Georgia State Patrol Officer pulled me over (plus another vehicle in front of me). He asked me 3 or 4 times if I knew how fast I was going. I told him I had the cruise set on 75 (in a 70). He told me he clocked me and the other driver doing 90. I had my radar detector up and it never went off, and I knew I wasn't doing 90. I was in my 04 gt and I had just gotten of duty @ Ft Stewart.

When he asked me to sign the ticket I said sure, I just need to see the radar. He walked back to his car, sat in his seat, and left. No ticket, no response, no nothing. So I keep one up now just in case a dbag is desperate to hit his quota and figures my vehicle fits the demographic the court would expect to see for speeding.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks

My last traffic stop by a cop was in 2004, a Georgia State Patrol Officer pulled me over (plus another vehicle in front of me). He asked me 3 or 4 times if I knew how fast I was going. I told him I had the cruise set on 75 (in a 70). He told me he clocked me and the other driver doing 90. I had my radar detector up and it never went off, and I knew I wasn't doing 90. I was in my 04 gt and I had just gotten of duty @ Ft Stewart.

When he asked me to sign the ticket I said sure, I just need to see the radar. He walked back to his car, sat in his seat, and left. No ticket, no response, no nothing. So I keep one up now just in case a dbag is desperate to hit his quota and figures my vehicle fits the demographic the court would expect to see for speeding.
I'll remember this one
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

I'll remember this one
I remember Texas was a lot more hardcore, so I don't know how well it will work for you there. When I was in high school north of Amarillo, the troopers would write a ticket for 5 over.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Mine beeps constantly so I don't even have it on half the time lol

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
Mine beeps constantly so I don't even have it on half the time lol
Yeah with all the grocery stores ans drugstores that doesn't surprise me at all!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post

haha nice.. the cops around here where i live just look for the lightest excuse to pull you over... just 2 weeks ago a buddy of mine and me got pulled over for swerving to avoid pot holes.. i guess that would be a reasonable excuse but he didnt even get out of his lane. i just figured with all these anal cops around here i kinda want to know if theres one around but from wat ive read radar detectors probably wouldnt alert me if theres a cop around the corner lol
Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Road Trip!

I got pulled over yesterday for not yielding to the flow of traffic... It was a three lane road and I was turning onto it. The far two lanes had cars in them and the one closest to me was empty so I turned onto it. 2 miles down the road I get pulled over. I was pissed. Rookie cop couldn't even tell me if what I did was illegal when I asked him...
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

damn that bows..ticket?
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
damn that bows..ticket?
No. Cause he couldn't tell me if it was illegal or not
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

haha. idiot
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I use a radar at times, it can save you sometimes. Like they said before it will only work with an active radar. It can get you out of a lasar though
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It cannot get you out of laser. Laser is instant, once hit with laser your distance and speed is logged. All the laser detector tells you is that you were hit. To be honest, I think it keeps you more aware if you have to keep your own eyes on the look out. Radar detectors are a false sense of security.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It cannot get you out of laser. Laser is instant, once hit with laser your distance and speed is logged. All the laser detector tells you is that you were hit. To be honest, I think it keeps you more aware if you have to keep your own eyes on the look out. Radar detectors are a false sense of security.
Yeah I think he meant to say can't instead of can. But yeah, I definitely don't use mine for a security blanket because I know better.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #20

in Florida the police don't have to show you anything. You can ask to see the radar I suppose, but they can say no.
Don't bother to threaten to take them to court. They are either on duty anyway or getting paid time and a half to be there.
natm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natm02
in Florida the police don't have to show you anything. You can ask to see the radar I suppose, but they can say no.
Don't bother to threaten to take them to court. They are either on duty anyway or getting paid time and a half to be there.
Yeah, and radar detectors are a secondary offense in Florida too. They won't pull you over for it, but from what I understand they aren't legal.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:

Yeah, and radar detectors are a secondary offense in Florida too. They won't pull you over for it, but from what I understand they aren't legal.
They are legal here. I've been pulled over a lot unfortunately. They never say anything about it. (it's usually off or turned down anyway! Beeps constantly!) they care more about blacked out lights and stuff like that

Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are legal here. I've been pulled over a lot unfortunately. They never say anything about it. (it's usually off or turned down anyway! Beeps constantly!) they care more about blacked out lights and stuff like that
You can't have blacked out lights?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

And thanks for the info, I am in Fl all the time and have worried about my radar detector getting me a ticket.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #25

Yeah, as far as I know they are legal in Fl. But like someone said, alot are using laser so the detector won't help.
natm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Not unless you want to get pulled over for $116 each time and that's x2 if you have front and back. I learned the hard way. Took off my black covers and bought the smoked headlights and ordered stock tail lights again and have been fine. FHP are the hardest.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
And thanks for the info, I am in Fl all the time and have worried about my radar detector getting me a ticket.
No prob. They are fine. I've had one for years with no mention except "does that thing not work?" and then have to explain that it's annoying and I don't really use it. Lol

Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natm02
Yeah, as far as I know they are legal in Fl. But like someone said, alot are using laser so the detector won't help.
Mine detects laser when the hit me with it. It's worthless for avoiding a ticket at that point, I just want to know that they honestly clocked me, because if they just pull me over because they have a quota to meet and I happen to drive a Mustang and cant prove I was speeding I need all the help I can get.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Just so you know it is illegal for any officers to be given a quota by any agency. They can be told they have to have so many contacts but not citations.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just so you know it is illegal for any officers to be given a quota by any agency. They can be told they have to have so many contacts but not citations.
Awesome, thanks. Does that mean it's not implied, either? Seems like there would be an expectation driven by numbers, regardless.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

The only ones who are "encouraged" is state and traffic guys in Texas. With that being said they still don't write everyone, they are only required to make a certain amount of stops not citations.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

No prob. They are fine. I've had one for years with no mention except "does that thing not work?" and then have to explain that it's annoying and I don't really use it. Lol
Lol. I can imagine the cop thinking to himself "me-1 radar detectors-0"
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I can promise the 45$ cobra at Wally world has saved my *** more than once. But I'm learning some cops just don't have radar on and shoot laser. Some are nice but some wake up on the wrong side of the bed
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post
Awesome, thanks. Does that mean it's not implied, either? Seems like there would be an expectation driven by numbers, regardless.
NM state police and Las Cruces city police all have quotas. They published them in the paper a while ago... so many arrests, citations, contacts, field interviews, etc per month. If they don't do them they get graded poorly. I thought they were illegal as well... takes out the whole "officer discretion" thing. Glad I work in TX!
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg687

NM state police and Las Cruces city police all have quotas. They published them in the paper a while ago... so many arrests, citations, contacts, field interviews, etc per month. If they don't do them they get graded poorly. I thought they were illegal as well... takes out the whole "officer discretion" thing. Glad I work in TX!
Me too, I can't help but think that would discredit some of the stuff they write. Maybe some feather legged paper hanging going on there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Sunroof | Help »