screeching noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
screeching noise

i got some kind of screeching noise in my car wen it idles and i was told it would be the pulleys or the belt but i just changed the belt about 2 weeks ago.. what could it be?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,223
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Waterpump
Idler pulley
Tensioner
Alternator
Powersteerimg
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

thanks man ill check it out
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
onesickstang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 441
Check the pullies thay are flat not ribbed. See if there is rubber on them. Alot of the time just scuffing them with sand paper will get rid of it. Thats only if there isnt some other problem with something else and it is a belt chirping that you are hearin and not a bearing in a pulley
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

well it doesnt really sound like a bearing cuz the noise isnt really hidden it sounds pretty out there, if that makes sense.. lol..ill try the scuffing method and see if that helps.. thanks
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: screeching noise

Make sure you check everything because it cuold be something more serious like a bad bearing .
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

will do thanks, what can happen if it is a bearing? can it cause worse things to happen or is the pulley just going to stop working?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
It could just be that the belt is loose. Tighten the tension and it might go away
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

oh ok ill try that too. thanks
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
oh ok ill try that too. thanks
Np. I had the same issue a few months back
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

so i tried tightening my pullys right now and they were all tight as can be could it be the belt is too big?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bradh2414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 727
Maybe but if you bought a car specific belt I shouldn't be
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Do you have a gatorback belt? Thats the best belt out there never slips. Its what i use.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

man i cant figure it out lol. i want to just sell this damn thing already.. i wish the guy would of told me about all these annoying minor problems it has.. i just realized that the amount of difficulty to close my hood might be a problem.. the latch seems perfect but im starting to think maybe this car was in an accident or something? is there any way of knowing? the title is clean. it has a body kit..i dont think it could be that.. i basically have to slam the hood from about half way, any way of knowing if this was in an accident?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
jbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 238
"Show me the Carfax."
__________________
Boom!
jbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
nickysixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boonton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
man i cant figure it out lol. i want to just sell this damn thing already.. i wish the guy would of told me about all these annoying minor problems it has.. i just realized that the amount of difficulty to close my hood might be a problem.. the latch seems perfect but im starting to think maybe this car was in an accident or something? is there any way of knowing? the title is clean. it has a body kit..i dont think it could be that.. i basically have to slam the hood from about half way, any way of knowing if this was in an accident?
Any used older mustang with alot of miles on it is gunna have problems. I've owned two mustangs 96 Gt and 97 v6. The v6 I put a whole new engine in it and transmission a ac compressor full tune up and there's about 6,000 all together and I'm missing stuff. My Gt I did a tune up clutch cable pedal assembly power window and door lock motors clips for the doors to stay tight fly wheel all new vacuum hoses a million different sensors. It's endless. Make it into a hobby not a head ache. It made me decide to go to school for mechanics because I turned out to really enjoy wrenching on cars.
__________________
____________________________________________
1957 Buick Special Estate Wagon
1996 Mustang GT (sold)
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
Any used older mustang with alot of miles on it is gunna have problems. I've owned two mustangs 96 Gt and 97 v6. The v6 I put a whole new engine in it and transmission a ac compressor full tune up and there's about 6,000 all together and I'm missing stuff. My Gt I did a tune up clutch cable pedal assembly power window and door lock motors clips for the doors to stay tight fly wheel all new vacuum hoses a million different sensors. It's endless. Make it into a hobby not a head ache. It made me decide to go to school for mechanics because I turned out to really enjoy wrenching on cars.
i think thats what im going to have to do lol..
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
nickysixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boonton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

i think thats what im going to have to do lol..
It's good stuff man, were are you from?
__________________
____________________________________________
1957 Buick Special Estate Wagon
1996 Mustang GT (sold)
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

yeah thats what i hear i have a few family members going to UTI here in sacramento..im from a town called Napa Valley lol...the grape town lol.its about 45 minutes away from san fransisco..in california..what about you man
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
nickysixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boonton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
yeah thats what i hear i have a few family members going to UTI here in sacramento..im from a town called Napa Valley lol...the grape town lol.its about 45 minutes away from san fransisco..in california..what about you man
Whole other side of the states. New jersey. Haha. I haven't met alot of people on here out east. But yeah man make it into a hobby enjoy your car has a project and be proud of what you did to it. When you do stuff to it. It makes you feel like its yours.
__________________
____________________________________________
1957 Buick Special Estate Wagon
1996 Mustang GT (sold)
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

yeah thats true man thanks.. lol i feel proud even after every wash lol
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
nickysixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boonton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
yeah thats true man thanks.. lol i feel proud even after every wash lol
No problem, if you ever have any issues just let me know, I learn more every day about our year mustang, once I get mine back on the road (tommarow just replaced my clutch cable) I'll take some pictures of everything I did. I'll post em on this just so you see how much I really put into it haha. I put around 200$+ every two weeks into mods if not more. Weather it's small stuff of big things.
__________________
____________________________________________
1957 Buick Special Estate Wagon
1996 Mustang GT (sold)
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
No problem, if you ever have any issues just let me know, I learn more every day about our year mustang, once I get mine back on the road (tommarow just replaced my clutch cable) I'll take some pictures of everything I did. I'll post em on this just so you see how much I really put into it haha. I put around 200$+ every two weeks into mods if not more. Weather it's small stuff of big things.
for sure man thanks i appreciate that.. and yeah post some on id love to see what youve done to it..hopefully it will give me ideas. lol
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Get wd40 and spray each pulley at a time
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
jbanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 238
If you take the belt off (scary the first time, I know, just go for it man)... you can spin the pulleys one at a time and see which one is squeeking. I would not be surprised if you have rust on one near the bottom of the car. If you can see rust, it's probably close to time to replace it.
__________________
Boom!
jbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

yeah it was scary lol and yeah i got lots of rust.. i think it might be the water pump
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: screeching noise

I hopeyou get it all figured out.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: California
Posts: 666
Re: screeching noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
I hopeyou get it all figured out.
thanks..i just need to change the water pump
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:16 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.