pi intake manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
pi intake manifold

what are the gains?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
what are the gains?
Not too noticeable, if you the aluminum one and have it ported and polished then you will get a high increase in power more so than just the standard plastic FRPP intake manifold.

2002 Gt Mustang - Built 2 Valve
"Real cars don't power the front wheels...they lift them"
stangstar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Nada. Unless you have supporting mods suchas cams, tb, plenum
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The gain is 15+. If you have a tune done afterward it is closer to 40. All that is if you have a none PI motor of course. I have it done to my car. The difference is really great.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: pi intake manifold

not much if you dont use the pi heads too
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking
not much if you dont use the pi heads too
Cheaper to just get the PI cams. Its an additional 15 horses or so. If you do the whole head swap it also raises your compression. It gives you more power then the PI engines but the cost isn't near as low as people make it out to be.

The gains you get from just the manifold swap is well worth the money you pay. The gains are also much higher then people say. If you ask people who have done the swap,like myself,you will find they got a large,noticable difference. I did the swap,cai,and tuner. The difference is night and day. My car screams through the whole rpm band. Its not like getting an actual power adder but for the money its worth it. You also get better gains from any other engine mods you add later.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc

Cheaper to just get the PI cams. Its an additional 15 horses or so. If you do the whole head swap it also raises your compression. It gives you more power then the PI engines but the cost isn't near as low as people make it out to be.

The gains you get from just the manifold swap is well worth the money you pay. The gains are also much higher then people say. If you ask people who have done the swap,like myself,you will find they got a large,noticable difference. I did the swap,cai,and tuner. The difference is night and day. My car screams through the whole rpm band. Its not like getting an actual power adder but for the money its worth it. You also get better gains from any other engine mods you add later.
I've done the swap
15hp isn't that easy to feel in the seat
Pi head swap isn't that expensive if you do it yourself
And the reason you felt a big gain is because you did the swap while putting a tuner on it. The cai did very little for you.
The tuner did the most for you
The intake did little
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

You having a bad day,boneking? The swap with the tuner gives you a large hp gain. Which is what I said in the first place. Again its not like a real power adder,but for the money the gain is really good. Most people cant do a head swap by themselves. The cost is high. I did the research and talked to a few shops. Just to get the heads can be expensive when you don't have connections. For around $800 you can get around a 40 hp gain or for close to $2000 (all the parts that I would use for a head swap) you can gain around 80+.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Road Trip!

not a great day.. things on my mind...
but i just dont want to give the guy false numbers. 40 hp is a lot for a tuner and an intake to make. thats all im getting at
btw i have a set of 4v heads for sale
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not a great day.. things on my mind...
but i just dont want to give the guy false numbers. 40 hp is a lot for a tuner and an intake to make. thats all im getting at
btw i have a set of 4v heads for sale
I agree. I dont feel I'm giving false numbers though. I did a lot of research before buying and installing the parts. Hopefully your day gets better. I'm on vaca and all relaxed.lol. I didn't think you could put 4v heads on a 2v block. What all is needed to do that swap?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
I agree. I dont feel I'm giving false numbers though. I did a lot of research before buying and installing the parts. Hopefully your day gets better. I'm on vaca and all relaxed.lol. I didn't think you could put 4v heads on a 2v block. What all is needed to do that swap?
you can but it wont do a ton for you. your bottom end cant turn 7000rpms to get the max power out of them. they will fit though.

and what a site claims vs what a dyno shows is a big difference.
for example flowmaster claims up to 15 hp when you use thier mufflers.
dyno shows 1-3 maybe
same with k&n filter claims
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you can but it wont do a ton for you. your bottom end cant turn 7000rpms to get the max power out of them. they will fit though.

and what a site claims vs what a dyno shows is a big difference.
for example flowmaster claims up to 15 hp when you use thier mufflers.
dyno shows 1-3 maybe
same with k&n filter claims
That's what I was thinking. The bottom end isn't built to take advantage of the 4v heads.
I never go buy what company's claim for horsepower. I did the build that was recommended and they had dyno sheets backing up the claim. The intake by itself didn't add that much but when they added their 93 octane tune the numbers hopped up. I couldn't tell any real difference with cai other then the motor sounding better and the whole whistling sound when on the throttle and air discharge sound when you let off. That was cool I guess.lol. their sheets also showed a pretty big increase with a full catback added but again that had the swap and tune with it. I think it was around like 13 hp or something like that.

Also don't forget. I have a 96 and that motor and 97 motor had the least amount of power of any 4.6. They gains seem to be a bit better then the 98 and then PI motors. Again that's just what I have found from research.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc

That's what I was thinking. The bottom end isn't built to take advantage of the 4v heads.
I never go buy what company's claim for horsepower. I did the build that was recommended and they had dyno sheets backing up the claim. The intake by itself didn't add that much but when they added their 93 octane tune the numbers hopped up. I couldn't tell any real difference with cai other then the motor sounding better and the whole whistling sound when on the throttle and air discharge sound when you let off. That was cool I guess.lol. their sheets also showed a pretty big increase with a full catback added but again that had the swap and tune with it. I think it was around like 13 hp or something like that.

Also don't forget. I have a 96 and that motor and 97 motor had the least amount of power of any 4.6. They gains seem to be a bit better then the 98 and then PI motors. Again that's just what I have found from research.
Guess I need to take that one I did the pi swap back to the tuner lol. My friend only got around 25-30 rwhp.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Guess I need to take that one I did the pi swap back to the tuner lol. My friend only got around 25-30 rwhp.
Dynos are all different. That's probably the number difference. Whether I got 30hp or 40hp the car runs better,pulls harder,and actually sounds like it has balls. It'll do untill I can get a motor swap done. Please by no means think that I think my car suddenly became all fast and badass by this swap(because it ain't),but I do feel it was worth the money.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc

Dynos are all different. That's probably the number difference. Whether I got 30hp or 40hp the car runs better,pulls harder,and actually sounds like it has balls. It'll do untill I can get a motor swap done. Please by no means think that I think my car suddenly became all fast and badass by this swap(because it ain't),but I do feel it was worth the money.
Lol ok. I know it's worth the money just disagreed with your numbers its all good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT