1996 upgrades for father and son to do - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Region: Florida
1996 upgrades for father and son to do

Hello everybody! I am a proud owner of a red 1996 Mustang GT, of which my dad and I (I'm only 18) love to take care of. I was wondering if any experienced mustang enthusiasts could help inform me of an upgrades or small projects that my dad and i could do together on it. We are looking for some small hp gains, but nothing huge, as it is still going to be a daily driver. I had thought of such things such as a cold air intake, new exhaust system, new throttle body, etc.

Any tips or ideas for how to or brands and as to what to do first is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew
claroguy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hop on Americanmuscle .com and just go shopping they usually treat you right
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Opening up the exhoust is major in the mid 90s cars for hp gains just make sure to run a xpipe mid or a pro chamber or u may not like how the car runs (i have tru duels on my 94 no h or x and she wants to run with a bit of lets say attatude) throttle body is fine and injectors (more air needs more fuel) or simply a better more high flow fuel pump will do u can also make changes to the computer system by "chiping" it but for the price id prolly just buy a reprogramer and use ur stock chip because it allows u to try many diffrent set ups and tunes and generally u can use reprogramers on diffrent cars as well so little better bang for buck imo even though there more expencive. If u want to get serrious then id say cam and heads and so on but for a day to day car u really dont need to do much more then i have to mine. Pm me for a list ( remember i run a 302 5l ur running first gen 4.6 so some parts are going to be diffrent)
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: 1996 upgrades for father and son to do

supercharger.... lol
CAI is always a good start for small hp gains and exhaust is key (more for sound than hp but still important).
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Get some gears
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
Get some gears
those arent really for a father and son to do on their own..... even professionals have toruble with them sometimes
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Hi Andrew, Im Andrew and im 17 and have a 2002 GT. Its also my daily driver. The cold air intake from AM would be a good cheap first mod. Thats as far as I have gotten on mine lol, Im think im going to order a mach 1 chin spoiler MUSTANG bumper stickers and a 4.6L V8 stick for my hood scoope But after all that Im pry going to get some flowmasters 40s and then in the far future get a sct tuner. As a daily driver im trying to not go to mad on it. Anyways good luck with you stang and I would love to see some pics of it!
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A good project would be to swap out your intake manifold to a PI inatke manifold. You get a nice boost of HP from it and it actually takes a fair bit of work so it feels like a real project. My buddy and I took a day to do it so you and your dad should be able to make a day of it. Its a fun swap since you get to tear down the whole top of the engine down to the heads. It also makes for a great time to clean everything.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Putting an engine dress up kit on at the same time would be a good idea and an underdrive pully setup will free up a few more ponies for ya
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Nice to hear that you and your dad are getting involved in this project. I still have my 97 GT and the first thing is a good intake, followed by exhaust. The order is up to you, but try to do one intake, one exhaust, one intake, one exhaust, etc, so you have just as much effect going in as you do coming out.

Exhaust wise, if this is your daily driver, get a catted x-pipe (only if you have emissions inspection in your state). You'll get much less restriction and more power, but still stay legal so you don't have to keep switching it out (which becomes a pain). For the catback, it's all up to you, but I personally like the Pypes Catback. It's got a good tone and a noise that no other brand has.

In terms of intake, get a CAI, bigger throttle body and plenum, and an intake spacer, along with better ignition wires and spark plugs. If you really want to, do a PI swap, but otherwise that's about it for terms of power. Hope this helps!!
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT