Long tube header install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Long tube header install

So i have all of my exhaust pieces now and i am just trying to make sure i have all my bases covered before i do the swap in the next few weeks. I have Hedman Tork-Stepped Long tubes, a prochamber, and flow master 40's. My only real question i have left to answer is, should i use the stock studs and nuts or buy header bolts. And if i should buy them does anyone have suggestions as to the best one, size, etc
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Long tube header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
So i have all of my exhaust pieces now and i am just trying to make sure i have all my bases covered before i do the swap in the next few weeks. I have Hedman Tork-Stepped Long tubes, a prochamber, and flow master 40's. My only real question i have left to answer is, should i use the stock studs and nuts or buy header bolts. And if i should buy them does anyone have suggestions as to the best one, size, etc

Buy new header bolts.

I would suggest - Stage 8
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

WOW those are some expensive bolts lol but i guess i need to suck it up. i dont want to have to go through the hassle of retightening them again and again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ive been using the stock bolts and have no problems. Not saying its not worth it to buy nice locking bolts but just that ive had no problems with mine. Im making well over 500 hp and actually my header cracked where the primaries are welded to the collector. So the bolts held up better than the header for some reason
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
Ive been using the stock bolts and have no problems. Not saying its not worth it to buy nice locking bolts but just that ive had no problems with mine. Im making well over 500 hp and actually my header cracked where the primaries are welded to the collector. So the bolts held up better than the header for some reason
Did you do your install with the motor in the car? I've read that you cant get the headers down over all the stock studs with the engine in or i would use the stock ones with no questions
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No mine were done with the heads off the block
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Im gettin my long tubes soon. Ill be doin it myself hope it aint to much of a pain.
What is the difference of stock studs and those other studs from that link.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
Im gettin my long tubes soon. Ill be doin it myself hope it aint to much of a pain.
the stock studs thread into the block and then have a nut that tightens down on it. those are just normal bolts. but be prepaired...its a ***** of a job. I have already just planned to be in there from the time i get off work Friday evening till the time i go back Monday morning
Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I kno its pretty tough. But it should take me one day at the most.
When you do it make a new thread or post in this one the steps you go threw an what you did to get them in.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Will do
Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
You should check your motor mounts and exhaust supports if you broke the header.
You may have issues with the motor mounts letting the engine move to much or the ehaust hangers holding the exhaust in a bind.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
Differences are:
"100% reliable, zero failures in more than 6,000,000 applications. Header fasteners absolutely, positively will not back out. Eliminates need to monitor and tighten bolts regularly.
Grade 8 aircraft quality bolts made in U.S.A. Duplex nickel plated
Manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty"

Plus they have the allen wrench center for tightening when you absolutely cannot get a wrench in to tighten the bolts.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You should check your motor mounts and exhaust supports if you broke the header.
You may have issues with the motor mounts letting the engine move to much or the ehaust hangers holding the exhaust in a bind.
My case was far from that i wish it was that simple but ended up that with my high boost and a ccrm fan relay that was bad i ended up with a small head gasket leak that gradually got worse. It eventually started blowing water through the exhaust like a typical head gasket failure causing my exhaust to heat and cool too rapidly and cracked right at the weld

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT