loud creeking noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

loud creeking noise

everytime i turn my wheel to the right or left it makes this loud creeking noise, its worse when im sitting still but its also pretty bad when im making sharp turns at lower speeds ie. going around a culdesac(dont know if spelled that right). It started off as a small noise but has progressivly got worse over this past year now it seems full blown, i dont know if something is getting worn down and needs to be replaced. i do have my car lowered, its less than a 1.5in.....cant remember the exact drop, just thought it might be helpfull. I do plan on taking it to the dealership since its still under warranty , i just wanted to get some opinions first, by the way does anyone know if your still covered by the warranty if u put any kind of offroad pipe on your car? couldnt find anything about it in the warranty guide/manual thingy, anyways thanks in advance for any help.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: loud creeking noise

The only way they can not cover something getting replaced/fixed under warranty is if they can prove that modification caused the problem.

Now with that being said, be prepared for them to not cover suspension because it has been modified.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
everytime i turn my wheel to the right or left it makes this loud creeking noise, its worse when im sitting still but its also pretty bad when im making sharp turns at lower speeds ie. going around a culdesac(dont know if spelled that right). It started off as a small noise but has progressivly got worse over this past year now it seems full blown, i dont know if something is getting worn down and needs to be replaced. i do have my car lowered, its less than a 1.5in.....cant remember the exact drop, just thought it might be helpfull. I do plan on taking it to the dealership since its still under warranty , i just wanted to get some opinions first, by the way does anyone know if your still covered by the warranty if u put any kind of offroad pipe on your car? couldnt find anything about it in the warranty guide/manual thingy, anyways thanks in advance for any help.
Ok, I think we may have the same problem. Does it sound like a loud ping that you can feel through your steering wheel and petals. The sensation I get is it feels like something grabs and then is forced to be released. Apparently this problem is somewhat common on lowered Mustangs and it happens when the steering rack bushings get wet. The good new is that its easy and relitivey cheap to fix. You will need to get new steering rack bushings and a new alignment. I would not cheap out on the stock rubber bushings or even aftermarket polyurethane ones. Go straight for the aluminum bushings offer by Maximum Motorsports for $40. As a bonus they are suppose to be the best mod to improve your steering feel and get rid of any slop in your steering wheel. I believe that this is the problem that we are experiencing. I will be calling MM on Monday and asking them.

Here are the MM aluminum bushings.

Maximum Motorsports MM Aluminum Rack Bushings (Stock K-Member) [MMST-7] - $39.90

Also checkout this thread.

SVTPerformance
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Wow...a common mustang problem my car doesn't have. Now that's a first.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Wow...a common mustang problem my car doesn't have. Now that's a first.
I said somewhat common.

Its not unheard of is what I ment.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

I had that problem. When I got the car checked out it was the inner an outer tie rod ends as well as a ball joint. My steering rack bushing were also bad.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Its actually common regardless of the fact if its lowered or not, I've run into a lot of GT's with this identical noise... It wasn't a bushing, but the rod the bolt goes through that holds the steering rack on... creaks between the rack and k-member, if that makes sense... the fix was to remove the bolt/ the rod... then grease it/then retorque it to spec, and noise was fixed...

It was usually the passenger side, I'm not sure why, but the drivers side can do it also
Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

u know whats funny jroc.....my stang is the same color haha except its a gt, i damn sure appreciate the advice tho, im gonna have to try those bushings out. probably be better upgrading than getting it replaced or fixed at a dealership anyway, it doesnt seem like a huge problem now but its more annoying than anything to hear it on top of the sqeek that my steering wheel also has.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Yeah I have the same problem, although there is no modification to my car. I've isolated the sound to my driver's side front wheel, most likely the steering rack or around there. I can't really get under my car or anything. The squeaking happens at low speeds/ standstill and I tun the wheel or when the front wheel responds with the suspension (meaning I can push the wheel up and down and hear it.) At faster highway speeds it is less noticeable but in parking lot I'm sure you can hear it for miles (an exageration, but you get the idea).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT