motor problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
motor problem

I have a '98 mustang gt, motor isn't any good I have a 2001 pi mustang gt motor to go in it. The mechanic says it won't work . Talking about changing stuff like the fuel rails and some pulleys, and some sensors. This should be just plug and play? Right..
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,861
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: motor problem

What do you have of the PI motor?

Shortblock, Longblock, complete assembly?

You will need a new ECU at a minimum for the new engine.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Complete pi motor the guy I bought it from does mustang builds. He showed me his '97 with a 01 pi motor he didn't have to change anything.
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
BayyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 47
If you have the complete motor then use the stuff on that motor it's a direct drop in with the exception of the ecu I think
BayyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Unhappy Re: motor problem

What's. Giving me problems is the mechanics, saying the valve covers, have to be changed cause the oil file is in the way of the air breather hose. And something about the fuel rails I need a vacuum power return not electronic the one I brought to him and something about the sending unit has to be changed. The guy I bought from said don't have to do any changing plug it in and go like he did to his 97 mustang gt
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3
What's. Giving me problems is the mechanics, saying the valve covers, have to be changed cause the oil file is in the way of the air breather hose. And something about the fuel rails I need a vacuum power return not electronic the one I brought to him and something about the sending unit has to be changed. The guy I bought from said don't have to do any changing plug it in and go like he did to his 97 mustang gt
The only thing that is different are the heads valve covers and intake manifold it's a direct swap after you should get it tuned but it's direct
Drodriguez2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BayyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 47
If your using the pi 2001 engine then the valve cover oil fill on the passenger side will not interfere with the 01 air intake assembly that's how they were built! Just use everything from the 01 motor not a single thing different and get it tuned.
BayyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayyGT
If your using the pi 2001 engine then the valve cover oil fill on the passenger side will not interfere with the 01 air intake assembly that's how they were built! Just use everything from the 01 motor not a single thing different and get it tuned.
Didn't they change it after 02?
Drodriguez2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Re: motor problem

Everything is being use form the 01pi motor its missing AC compressor and the power steering pump want to use those from the 98 motor. Now they are saying they have to change timing cover and pulleys. .this is becoming more of a hassle then what was lead to believe.
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3
Everything is being use form the 01pi motor its missing AC compressor and the power steering pump want to use those from the 98 motor. Now they are saying they have to change timing cover and pulleys. .this is becoming more of a hassle then what was lead to believe.
Do it yourself there trying to get you

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Everything is comparable it should be a direct swap
Drodriguez2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
BayyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009

Didn't they change it after 02?
Change what? The oil fill? As far as 2001 gt's mine is on the passenger side.

And to the op, why would they even think you need to change timing covers? How complete is the 01 engine? If it has all that, timing cover, valve cover, intake, etc.. Then I don't see why anything has to be reused from your npi engine.
BayyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 25
Re: motor problem

the swap is relitivily easy. not near as many modifications as you would think. ive done two swaps. one was a 96 to 04 engine swap. and one was a 97 to 03 engine swap. they pretty much cross right over.. might i ask why the old engine is no good?
KnowItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Re: motor problem

Old engine is blown. Rod through the block. Everything thing is there for the 01 pi mustang gt motor. Is a Romeo make. The old one is Romeo as well. My 98 gt is vacuum fuel rails not electronic the mechanics said. And some sensors, have to be changed. Oil pickup. And sending unit. Then they are saying the other motor I brought to them was a crown. Victoria motor interceptor package. Yes that's true they said won't fit. Now I brought them a 2001 mustang gt 4.6 sohc2v pi motor. And are saying that it close to the Vic motor. And have to change parts to make it work. I really don't think they know what the hell they are doing. I do have one other question for y'all out their the Vic motor is pi as well but it has a aluminium intake. Can I use that one ihnstead of the plastic one.
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 25
Re: motor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3 View Post
Old engine is blown. Rod through the block. Everything thing is there for the 01 pi mustang gt motor. Is a Romeo make. The old one is Romeo as well. My 98 gt is vacuum fuel rails not electronic the mechanics said. And some sensors, have to be changed. Oil pickup. And sending unit. Then they are saying the other motor I brought to them was a crown. Victoria motor interceptor package. Yes that's true they said won't fit. Now I brought them a 2001 mustang gt 4.6 sohc2v pi motor. And are saying that it close to the Vic motor. And have to change parts to make it work. I really don't think they know what the hell they are doing. I do have one other question for y'all out their the Vic motor is pi as well but it has a aluminium intake. Can I use that one ihnstead of the plastic one.
answer to intake question is yes. and both vic and the 01 engine can fit in your car. the guy that you are talking to sounds like he is trying to downgrade the 01 engine to your old engine. your old fuel rail will bolt up just fine so you dont need to change the fuel system. and you can tell him yours is not a "vacuum" fuel system. yours is a return style fuel system. you will want to use the 01 engine over the vic engine for a few reasons. the cam grinds are different and the ports are a little different in the heads. but the intake should still fit. there are a few mods you will have to do but not as extensive as he is making it sound. just a thought... buy me the plane ticket and ill drop it in for you lol!
KnowItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,995
Re: motor problem

yeah that 'mechanic' is definitely trying to pull one over on you... hell its a straight in and out... especially if you change the coil on plug system over. Then you dont need a new ecu or anything... id tell that mechanic to get stuffed and report him for being a dickbag...
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
yeah that 'mechanic' is definitely trying to pull one over on you... hell its a straight in and out... especially if you change the coil on plug system over. Then you dont need a new ecu or anything... id tell that mechanic to get stuffed and report him for being a dickbag...
Hell yea
Drodriguez2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if a newer 4.6l like from a 2005-2008 4.6l sohc 3v v8 will work in my 98 mustang.gt
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if a newer 4.6l like from a 2005-2008 4.6l sohc 3v v8 will work in my 98 mustang.gt
Honestly, that would cost a lot, and would be a pain in the *** to get working. You could try a 4.6 4V engine though from a mach1/non supercharged cobra(99,01). About 320hp just like the 3v, and would pretty much bolt right in.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

Honestly, that would cost a lot, and would be a pain in the *** to get working. You could try a 4.6 4V engine though from a mach1/non supercharged cobra(99,01). About 320hp just like the 3v, and would pretty much bolt right in.
Just about all newer ford engines bolt in there almost all mod motors from the 2v to the diesel<~? motors 3v will work but it look like your mechanic is trying to get you anyways so y not get the 3v harness ecu n a buttload of other stuff
Drodriguez2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
It will fit rite in. I just talked to a guy that builds them, he is helping me with mine. He said that they are trying to make you pay more for work your car will not need.
Tell them to shove it and find another shop
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
It will fit rite in. I just talked to a guy that builds them, he is helping me with mine. He said that they are trying to make you pay more for work your car will not need.
Tell them to shove it and find another shop
If your talking about the 3v. There's a lot more involved. All new harnesses, new k member, Ur probably going to have to lock the cam phasers, and modify the fuel system. Not to mention your going to have to solve your throttle linkage, master cylinder and brake lines. You are a lot better off with a 4v or a pi swap if your on a budget.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

If your talking about the 3v. There's a lot more involved. All new harnesses, new k member, Ur probably going to have to lock the cam phasers, and modify the fuel system. Not to mention your going to have to solve your throttle linkage, master cylinder and brake lines. You are a lot better off with a 4v or a pi swap if your on a budget.
+1 this is what I meant! All accessories and ecus should work if you just swap a 4v in.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
My 01 pi mustang motor is in , the motor turns over but Their is no spark to fire up. The plugs and wires are good , it is coil pack ,is their any thing else that could cause it not to spark
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
onesickstang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 441
You need to check voltage and ground coming in to the coils
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Battery was weak , can the computer have anything to do with it
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3
Battery was weak , can the computer have anything to do with it
It shouldnt. You kept the original ecu right? Def check the connections to the packs.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #27
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Re: motor problem

Motor is running. Thanks guys for yalls input.
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
Re: motor problem

[QUOTE=DaBluedude;957589]If your talking about the 3v. There's a lot more involved. All new harnesses, new k member, Ur probably going to have to lock the cam phasers, and modify the fuel system. Not to mention your going to have to solve your throttle linkage, master cylinder and brake lines. You are a lot better off with a 4v or a pi swap if your on a budget

Im talking about the 99-04 4.6L 2V. They can go rite into the 98 Gts. There isn't a huge difference. Minus the PI Heads.

But no. I wasn't talking about a 3V. Its pretty obvious that a 3V wouldn't go rite into the car.
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #29
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
Nope i was just curious if it would. Im keeping the 01 pi motor the mustang is up and running. Im thinking about Upgrading for more power. I know this one person that had a 4.6 l 2000 modle vic motor that was pi as well. Ported the heads put fast 36's injectors a sct chip and a cx racing 76mm turbo on and produced 592hp on stock Internals, and was push 600-615 in Torque. But i would like to use better 2 v heads , like the trick flow twisted wedge style or the svo heads if they will work
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tan9dud3
Nope i was just curious if it would. Im keeping the 01 pi motor the mustang is up and running. Im thinking about Upgrading for more power. I know this one person that had a 4.6 l 2000 modle vic motor that was pi as well. Ported the heads put fast 36's injectors a sct chip and a cx racing 76mm turbo on and produced 592hp on stock Internals, and was push 600-615 in Torque. But i would like to use better 2 v heads , like the trick flow twisted wedge style or the svo heads if they will work
With stock internals? He won't be running with it like that for long. Idk for sure, so don't quote me on it but I've heard that the 99-04 4.6L 2V's could only handle about 400-450 HP with stock internals, but then again, you never know
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
t0t4lbl4ck0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 711
It's all a game of chance. You could run all the power you want on a stock motor and never have a problem (by some
Miraculous freak of nature) but 99% of stock 4.6 can handle about 500 MAX.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
It's all a game of chance. You could run all the power you want on a stock motor and never have a problem (by some
Miraculous freak of nature) but 99% of stock 4.6 can handle about 500 MAX.
DAMN! i was way off lol
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
t0t4lbl4ck0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 711
I've seen people brave enough to boost a stock block with a kenne bell 2.6 kit which is standard 12psi I believe but that's what they were running at. Thats roughly 450 500 hp and it was fine. How long it will last at that level is anyone guess but I myself wouldn't chance it
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
onesickstang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 441
I made 470 rwhp on stock internals with a vortech but had the tuner tune the car down to 440 rwhp. Never had problems but thats right around the breaking point
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #35
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 13
I have the pi heads but would like to put a aftermaket cam in it. What kind should I use. I plan on using a t3 Turbo about 10-14 psi. Going to change the coils to msd. and the injector s to 36-39 lb/hr. I know this will give 500hp . Don't go over 39lb/hr injector. Will hurt the stock internals. I've seen a similar build. Hot rod may. 4.6 junkyard jewel 592hp 600 + tq. On stock internals. Still running
mu5tan9dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.