So I got the valve covers off... One side, the broken valve cover side, the cam gear broke in whatever wreck caused the expedition to get itself into a junkyard. It bent the first intake valve. So starting tomorrow, since I have to do one, I'm just going to replace all the valve seals, and use it as an opportunity to check all of the valves. After I find a camshaft, I will actually start the buildup. For the next week or so I will be on clean up duty!
I had a guy come over tonight that I know. He's a Mustang fanatic, and he said I've come light years for someone that's never worked on a modular motor. Good news for me, I needed a little in person encouragement. He recommended just a light cleaning, and then to use seafoam on the motor just before the end of a 500 mile break in.