Windsor and Romeo engine differences? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

FORDGT14 is unknown around these parts
In 1999 and 2000 the Mustangs engine was built at the Windsor plant and from 2001 to 2004 they were built at the Romeo plant. I know that they had a few differences but Im not sure what exactly they were. So my question is, Whats the difference between the two? And is it possible to put a Romeo engine in a 1999 or 2000? What would I have to change to make it work?
And Im talking about the 4.6L 2V 281 V8 GT Engine.

Thanks for any feedback guys

Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

onesickstang01 is unknown around these parts
Some of the 99-01 were romeos as well. Count the bolts on the valve covers 11 bolts are romeo and 13/14 bolt are windsor. Not much difference but the romeos seem to be better motors and less prone to spark plug blow outs. They say there might be a slight compression difference which i tend to believe just because every 01+ that i have driven runs alot better than the 01 and earlier models. The head gaskets and everything ate the same. You can change the heads betweeen the two and they obviously share the same intakes and such.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Regular
Supporter

93slowstang is unknown around these parts
The Romeo block was used from 1996-1999. In 2000, due to capacity issues at the Romeo plant, some Mustangs
came with Windsor engines, including a different block, minor differences in the cylinder heads,
unique valve covers, and an eight-bolt crankshaft flange instead of the regular six-bolt crank flange
used on the Romeo engines. The Windsor plant normally produced the 4.6L and 5.4L engines
slated for duty in the F-series trucks, but due to overwhelming demand, it was tapped for extra
capacity. Functionally, the engines are interchangeable, as long as some of the unique exterior
dress is used, and we have built successful race and street engines using both blocks. The main
bearings are different between the two blocks, and this is probably the most significant thing to be
aware of when rebuilding these engines. The Windsor block has a “W” cast in the valley and on the
front of the block under the timing cover.

This is from here, http://www.mre-books.com/sa106/hipomustang7.html

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

FORDGT14 is unknown around these parts
Ok because Im buying a rebuild kit from ebay but i dont want to buy it and it not be the rite 4.6l kit for my '99 Gt. But if the kit will fit both Windsor and Romeo then i should be fine i guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT