Ok. This is really bothering me.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Ok. This is really bothering me..

Ok. So my 98 GT is cutting up.(Posted an earlier thread about this, but the problem has worsened.) It's mostly right when I start the car up, at low rpm's, or when I just straight-up punch it. Its almost like a power surge.. Or maybe like the engine is missing? You can even see the lights dim. I'm really wanting to fix this quick, but I need to know how much of a in-depth problem this is, and maybe find someone who has had a similar problem.. I cleaned my K&N today and my MAF looked pretty clean. I've searched all over the internet and can't find a truly relevant answer. Please help me.
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
96 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 112
I've been having a problem similar to this but my lights don't dim. I have no idea what it could be.
96 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 stang
I've been having a problem similar to this but my lights don't dim. I have no idea what it could be.
Yea.. It's crazy.. And it is really making me mad because it is really cutting into my power.. W
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
96 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 112
I know what you mean it kind of feels like it's hesitating or something.
96 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 stang
I know what you mean it kind of feels like it's hesitating or something.
Yep. But I have no idea what it could be.. Maybe someone on here does..
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
96 stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 112
Yea hopefully someone can help out
96 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
Ok. So my 98 GT is cutting up.(Posted an earlier thread about this, but the problem has worsened.) It's mostly right when I start the car up, at low rpm's, or when I just straight-up punch it. Its almost like a power surge.. Or maybe like the engine is missing? You can even see the lights dim. I'm really wanting to fix this quick, but I need to know how much of a in-depth problem this is, and maybe find someone who has had a similar problem.. I cleaned my K&N today and my MAF looked pretty clean. I've searched all over the internet and can't find a truly relevant answer. Please help me.
Maybe you have some bad O2 sensors that are not working very well until they warm up good.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Well if I am not mistaken, my o2 sensors are disconnected due to the fact that I have no cats.
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
Well if I am not mistaken, my o2 sensors are disconnected due to the fact that I have no cats.
Well, you need the O2 sensors so the computer can figure out the best A/F tune for your engine whether you have the cats or not.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Ok. I'll get it checked out. I am still a little new to this. Haha. As you can tell. Its crazy how something like that could make my car act up like it is doing..
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
Ok. I'll get it checked out. I am still a little new to this. Haha. As you can tell. Its crazy how something like that could make my car act up like it is doing..
We were all new to this at one time or another, just learn as you go.

Yeah, the computer (ECU) uses them to determine the proper air to fuel ratio (A/F), so if it is not getting a reading from them your car will run pretty crappy.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

We were all new to this at one time or another, just learn as you go.

Yeah, the computer (ECU) uses them to determine the proper air to fuel ratio (A/F), so if it is not getting a reading from them your car will run pretty crappy.
Alright then. Maybe I can run it up to the shope sometime this week and get it checked out.. Or is that something I could do?
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
onesickstang01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 441
Clean the MAF. Our cars are very touchy with them. Use MAF cleaner only. Change fuel filter. Check fuel pressure. Look over plug wires for arching. You will see either black ir white marks on the outside of the wires if they are. If you see that obviously replace them. Check plugs see if gapped correctly and see if they are white on the tips. If crusty white you are running lean. Make sure they arent black and wet either. They should be a tan color. That basically covers most of the things you need to check. Scan for codes for cam sensor ect. If you dont have cats you will have two 02 sensors instead of the original 4. So you are half way correct. You could do an induction service too
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
Clean the MAF. Our cars are very touchy with them. Use MAF cleaner only. Change fuel filter. Check fuel pressure. Look over plug wires for arching. You will see either black ir white marks on the outside of the wires if they are. If you see that obviously replace them. Check plugs see if gapped correctly and see if they are white on the tips. If crusty white you are running lean. Make sure they arent black and wet either. They should be a tan color. That basically covers most of the things you need to check. Scan for codes for cam sensor ect. If you dont have cats you will have two 02 sensors instead of the original 4. So you are half way correct. You could do an induction service too

Good points.
I forgot about the 4 sensors on these cars, Thank you.
Just curious, what is an "induction service"?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,606
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Having the rear O2 sensors off is normal with no cats and a good tune. But I would suspect that the plugs/wires are bad or something. The lights dimming is a little weird though. Specially if it is just a miss.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
01StangGt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 177
Check the iac and clean the throttle body, change out plugs and wires, fuel filter and check fuel pressure. Could be that you o2 sensor is connected and pushing more fuel into the injectors causing misfires. I would def put the cars back on replace o2 sensors. Are you getting horrible gas mileage?
01StangGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Don't the 4.6L sn95's need a mil connector to keep the CEL off? If the CEL is on you could check those? Also if the problem is affecting the emissions(ie:O2 sensor) it's supposed to set off the CEL on 96 and newer cars w/ OBD 2 right? Is the CEL on?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
jjsg09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Don't the 4.6L sn95's need a mil connector to keep the CEL off? If the CEL is on you could check those? Also if the problem is affecting the emissions(ie:O2 sensor) it's supposed to set off the CEL on 96 and newer cars w/ OBD 2 right? Is the CEL on?
Yea you need mil cords if you don't have a tuner that does the same thing. Damn those O2 sensors!
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
wereKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: California
Posts: 1,863
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

I had a 98gt and when ever I would punch it the charge light would come on and the lights would dim I never figured out what it was before I traded it in on my 06gt.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
RedGT04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 209
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

I had a 2002 Mustang V6 taht did exactly what urs is doing and sometime it will just die in the middle of the road. When I change the alternatoreverything started happening and so I was with my dad and he had a voltage meter, well the problem was that a wire was lose making me lose power and my head lights will go crazy.
RedGT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Codysmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 197
Well maybe someone can tell me what going on with my car... Everything started happening after changed the clutch on my car.. When I start my car everything fine.. But after I start going and start to come to a stop my car dies.. If I not completely stopped most times the rpm jumps back up and just goes every where.. But other times depending how slow it just turns off.. I have changed vacuum lines.. Egr valve.. Idle control valve.. Throttle control sensor.. Nothing working.. I starting to get mad because I losing gas milage every time I have to restart my car.. Someone please help
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #22
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7
I had the same problem with my 99 gt at weird times I would lose power lights would dim and radio would cut off over a period of about four months it happened then my charge light would go on and off then it stayed on for about a week and alternator went out. After I put the new alternator on, my car hasn't done it. You might want to take it to autozone or a place were they can test alternators dont know if it would show it being bad if it just happens sometimes though
Bparri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Codysmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 197
Well I work for ford and got a tech to look at it and said battery was good.. Idk I running out of ideas
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

We were all new to this at one time or another, just learn as you go.

Yeah, the computer (ECU) uses them to determine the proper air to fuel ratio (A/F), so if it is not getting a reading from them your car will run pretty crappy.
If there is an issue with the o2 or anything to turn the check engine light on the PCM will use predetermined value for the a/f ratio. If it was his o2 sensors he wouldn't experience that bad of a problem.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Does it act up when the engine is warm? Does it act up while driving!?
__________________
1994 Mustang GT
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
Registered User
Newbie
 
98scstanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1
im having the same problem in my 98gt. im gettin really bad gas mileage. i stop car at a red light and it feels lik the car just shut off n rpms drop down
98scstanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Ok. This is really bothering me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
If there is an issue with the o2 or anything to turn the check engine light on the PCM will use predetermined value for the a/f ratio. If it was his o2 sensors he wouldn't experience that bad of a problem.
Really?

What I based my reply on was personal experience.
I had a 95 GT that exhibited most of the symptoms except for the dimming lights.
It showed no CEL or codes, yet it turned out to be the O2 sensors.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Codysmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 197
It bay be the o2 sensors cuz I got idk how many codes for them
Codysmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Swap? | Tire size »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

007Stang

prm

Vader

VADER50
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



01:10 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.