Long Tube/SCT Tuner Install Done!!! NOW TIME FOR MORE!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Long Tube/SCT Tuner Install Done!!! NOW TIME FOR MORE!!

Well last weekend I tore into my car and installed a set of Hedman long tubes, a mac prochamber, and then plugged in my new SCT tuner from Bama. After ALOT of custom fab work and two long days of work i got it in and i could not be happier!!!! It pulls so much better! and the engine can breathe way easier! The most suprising part was that it actually got better HWMPG when i stayed off the gas than before. I fully recommend it to anyone!

NOW...I WANT MORE! Mods to date are: Long tubes, prochamber, flow 40's, 3.73 gears, and lowering springs with new shocks and struts. I am thinking about getting UD pullies and a throttle body/plenum combo. This would put me at "full bolt ons" if i am not mistaken. But i would like some input and ideas, thanks!
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: Long Tube/SCT Tuner Install Done!!! NOW TIME FOR MORE!!

nice ... just did headers in my Mach ,it wasn't any fun , LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Well last weekend I tore into my car and installed a set of Hedman long tubes, a mac prochamber, and then plugged in my new SCT tuner from Bama. After ALOT of custom fab work and two long days of work i got it in and i could not be happier!!!! It pulls so much better! and the engine can breathe way easier! The most suprising part was that it actually got better HWMPG when i stayed off the gas than before. I fully recommend it to anyone!

NOW...I WANT MORE! Mods to date are: Long tubes, prochamber, flow 40's, 3.73 gears, and lowering springs with new shocks and struts. I am thinking about getting UD pullies and a throttle body/plenum combo. This would put me at "full bolt ons" if i am not mistaken. But i would like some input and ideas, thanks!

Now bolt on a Blower!!!
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Awesome! I need to pick up a pair if longtubes.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
Awesome! I need to pick up a pair if longtubes.
Yeah, the install sucked but it was so worth it!!! Sounds bad a$$, runs much better, and IF you can keep your foot off the floor board it actually gets better mileage. Its an awesome upgrade
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No one has suggestions on the next mods i should do?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

Region: Alabama

I suggest the 3.73 if you still have the factory ring and pinion! Doesn't technically add HP but your lower end torque feels insane compared to stock. When I changed mine I would say it felt similar to adding roughly 80-90 RWHP. Most places have them from 160-250 depending on the brand.

If you still have the money left over then the exhaust would help if you want to go headers all the way back! Some long tubes with off-road or catted x-pipe with a nice cat-back system would rock some better numbers and make it sound like it will drive lol. Good luck.
DRIVEHARD_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEHARD_99
I suggest the 3.73 if you still have the factory ring and pinion! Doesn't technically add HP but your lower end torque feels insane compared to stock. When I changed mine I would say it felt similar to adding roughly 80-90 RWHP. Most places have them from 160-250 depending on the brand.

If you still have the money left over then the exhaust would help if you want to go headers all the way back! Some long tubes with off-road or catted x-pipe with a nice cat-back system would rock some better numbers and make it sound like it will drive lol. Good luck.
Is this in the right place? Cause in my very first post I listed my mods which included all of what you just mentioned
Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Region: Alabama

My stupidity. I read it and thought you were considering those mods. A byproduct of getting on the internet while at work. To my credit I don't do it that often and it was slow as crap!
DRIVEHARD_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lol okay just checking
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What problems did you run into doing the long tubes?
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The only realy problem was the steering shaft conecting to the steering box. We had to cut the shaft apart and then slide the pieces back together in between the tubes. Other than that it was just alot of fab work to get the long tubes to mount with the prochamber. Since i had two different manufacturers they werent made for eachother. They had different connector flanges, the prochamber was too long, and the prochamber wasnt wide enough to mount with the long tubes. So there was alot of bending, cutting, welding, cussing, bleeding etc... lol
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
The only realy problem was the steering shaft conecting to the steering box. We had to cut the shaft apart and then slide the pieces back together in between the tubes. Other than that it was just alot of fab work to get the long tubes to mount with the prochamber. Since i had two different manufacturers they werent made for eachother. They had different connector flanges, the prochamber was too long, and the prochamber wasnt wide enough to mount with the long tubes. So there was alot of bending, cutting, welding, cussing, bleeding etc... lol
YOU CUT THE STEERING SHAFT APART ???????????????
There's 1 bolt you take out 13mm , and the shaft comes right apart
I just did it in my Mach 1 , and I'm sure its the same shaft and rack as yours
Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde

YOU CUT THE STEERING SHAFT APART ???????????????
There's 1 bolt you take out 13mm , and the shaft comes right apart
I just did it in my Mach 1 , and I'm sure its the same shaft and rack as yours
You are correct. One bolt gets it off the steering box. But the problem was getting it back to the box once the new headers were installed. The shaft is telescopic and is pressed together from the factory so the end would not fall off going down the assembly line. We simply cut the pressed piece so that the shaft would slide into two pieces. Then slid the two piece back together between the header tubes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT