Hey stang experts, friend has an idea of an upgrade but wanted your advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Hey stang experts, friend has an idea of an upgrade but wanted your advice

Hey guys, my friend has an 03 mustang gt and wants to put cams into it but doesn't want to put new cams or springs, valves, dimpled pistons.. Etc.. But he asked me what were the best cams that could do that but make some hp and some lump, I didn't know the answer so I figured to ask the guys who know way more on the stands then me. Thanks guys.
ArmyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well regardless of new cam he would have to get it tuned. He would have to do a stage 1 cam which wouldn't be much better then stock. He should do a stage 2 and just change the springs. It's not much more work and better overall. I have stage 2 custom grinds from comp cams and I have no clearance issues.

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

Also he will NEED to buy a few other parts while he's doing that. Adjustable lashs NEED replaced cause of you don't you'll end up with a diesel sounding motor. A new set of timing chains SHOULD be used. And any gasket that has its seal broke should be replaced, obviously. He will also need to go to the local ford dealership and order 2 crankshaft bolts because aftermarket cams require larger bolts then stock and the crank bolts are perfect. Total he will be looking at a price of around 1000-1200 if he does the work himself. That's before a tune. I'm not sure about that price as I tuned mine myself with sct stuff
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So he needs new crankshaft bolts for what I'm trying to learn.. Wouldn't he need new camshaft bolts not crankshaft ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No the new crank bolts would replace the cam bolts because aftermarket cams take larger the stock bolts. I guess you could buy cam bolts from arp but it's easier to go to your local ford parts store and get crank bolts
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks man for the help I will tell him...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT