octane 87 or 93 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
octane 87 or 93

In a GT that's n/a

Runs better with the 93. But is it burning faster? Even sounds nicer.

Only put 93 the past few times.

What's your take on it?
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: octane 87 or 93

That is the ONLY thing, I will put in my Engine 93.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I'll only run 93 in mine!.. It runs just fine if I put 87 in it but it chugs the gas then!!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Burns slower when using gas. Think of it as 87 bad food for you your body. 93 is better so you keep it longer in you.
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. That's awesome. Never knew lol. Thanks guys. So 93 it is! From here on out.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Whoohoo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111111_104712.png
Views:	405
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	34183
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yep, 93 in my 5.0 also. Never ran anything else...
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I always put 91 or better octane in mine because I was told with a supercharger it was what it had to have.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
If it can run just fine on 87 higher octane won't do ANYTHING except cost more money!
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT
If it can run just fine on 87 higher octane won't do ANYTHING except cost more money!
I can run 87 through mine but it just burns it up too quick!.. Ultimately costing more in the long run!..
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
thank you.. you beat me to it. Unless your car is tuned there is absolutely no difference. its like giving you a placebo pill its all mental. I know a lot of people who believe that higher octane gas is “better” for your car than lower octane gas, as if the words premium next to the higher ratings actually mean the gasoline is better for your car. It isn’t. If you believe it is, don’t be dismayed, you’ve simply become accustomed to reading the words “premium” next to the label and believing the great marketing machine that helped create over $10B in 4th quarter profits for companies like Exxon-Mobil. The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.

Cars that require higher octane gas actually need that higher priced gas because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gas in a car that requires premium, the gas will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will give you a knocking sound. This is bad for your car.

hope this helps everyone save some money.

think of it this way...

if you spend a dif of .30 for 13 gallons and you fill up once a week.

13 x .30 = 3.90 x 52 = 202.80

so with gas at 3.00 a gallon, if you get 13 gallons a week that adds up to being a total of

13 x 3 = 39 202.80 / 39 = 5.2

so roughly 5 fill ups can be paid for by simply not using premium gas meaning 1/10th of a year is wasted on useless gas.

keep in mind that 93 is a diff of .40 meaning you lose 6.9 weeks of fill ups just from the .10 difference.

and theoretically to Eturner, High octane fuel is designed for high performance, high compression engines. Some lower performance vehicles can benefit from an increase in octane, the increased detergency also helps keep the fuel and combustion systems cleaner. However most computer control vehicles will automatically compensate for variations in fuel quality and economy will not really increase. The only mileage realized may be the engine could run smoother and more responsive which could equate to better economy. Considering the cost to benefit , I would use the fuel grade specified by the manufacture. So you should not see an increase without a tune.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I believe 93 Octane is a better fuel then 87 Octane. My 1989 Nissan 240sx uses 93 Octane. It's 2.4 Sohc is completely stock and maintained with over 300,000 miles on it. A few years ago when 93 Octane was up to $4.50 a gallon I decided to start using 87 to try and save some money. I took good care of my car, I figured it should run fine on 87. About a quarter of the way through that tank of gas I noticed the idle had become rougher and before I got below half a tank, my 240sx would stall at every stop. That was not a placebo. Since most of my miles were highway I finished that tank and refueled with 93 Octane and it ran fine after that. But I have since to try using 87 Octane since they started blending 10% ethanol into it. Maybe it'll run better on it now? I don't know. All I know is 93 Octane makes a huge difference in my 4 banger.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My Mustang has a basic tune in it!.. So 93 it is!..

I used to have a '96 Monte-Carlo Z34!.. It had a 3.4L DOHC V6 with 215hp!.. Not a high performance engine by any standards!.. When I first got it I used 87 in it!.. Ran like total s**t after the first week I had it!.. I took it back to the dealership and had the mechanic look at it!.. He told me that there is nothing wrong with the car, but asked me what type of gas am I using?.. I said 87!.. He tells me that he has the exact same year, and model, and that he has found that it will run like s**t unless he puts 93 in it and suggested I do the same!.. Even though the manufacturer says to use 87!.. So I started using nothing but 93 in it and never had a problem!.. Two years ago my dad had to use my car for awhile and he put 87 into it!.. And the car started running like s**t again!..
He calls me up to tell me how the car is running and I told him he needs to put 93 in it!.. He did and it started running just fine again!..

Basically you know how your car runs so use the type of gas you feel is best for it!..

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Also the only difference between the fuel ratings is just the octane!.. The detergency of the fuel is the same!..
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post

Basically you know how your car runs so use the type of gas you feel is best for it!..
so you saying just neglect what the Manufacturer says? so i should also run some 245 55 17's as tires too, and inflate to 40 psi?

im not bashing you dont think I am, but there is a reason why it is noted as Manufacturer's Recommendations! They dont just throw random numbers out there to just get by.

all I am saying is if you want to waste the money on extra gas, to each is there own. but there is no gain whatsoever when it comes to this.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT

so you saying just neglect what the Manufacturer says? so i should also run some 245 55 17's as tires too, and inflate to 40 psi?

im not bashing you dont think I am, but there is a reason why it is noted as Manufacturer's Recommendations! They dont just throw random numbers out there to just get by.

all I am saying is if you want to waste the money on extra gas, to each is there own. but there is no gain whatsoever when it comes to this.
You need to read what I posted because you took it out of context!..

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

First off recommendations are just that!.. Secondly we are talking about different fuel types and you start about tires?!?...

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Also when talking about fuel types (octane rating) the recommendation given by the manufacturer is a minimum!.. Not the max!..
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire

Tons of misconception here. 93 is NOT a better fuel than 87. 93 will make LESS power than 87. You will not get more fuel economy with 93 over 87.

The ONLY thing 93 octane has over 87, is the ability to reduce engine knock, and with the exception of the 2011 Mustangs and up, they were designed and factory tuned to perform best on 87 octane. Run the least amount of octane you can without engine knock for the best performance.
mtrsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry not trying to be a d bag or anything but you people that think higher octane is better for your car when 1) it doesn't require it and 2) there is nothing wrong mechanically with your car are RERERREETTAARRDDSS! Thanks! (yeah I'm a little cranky today!)
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
I'm sorry not trying to be a d bag or anything but you people that think higher octane is better for your car when 1) it doesn't require it and 2) there is nothing wrong mechanically with your car are RERERREETTAARRDDSS!
I wouldn't call any of the guys here "retards", just slightly uneducated enough in fuel/engine/combustion theory.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrsprt
I wouldn't call any of the guys here "retards", just slightly uneducated enough in fuel/engine/combustion theory.
Yeah I can agree with that!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tons of misconception here. 93 is NOT a better fuel than 87. 93 will make LESS power than 87. You will not get more fuel economy with 93 over 87.

The ONLY thing 93 octane has over 87, is the ability to reduce engine knock, and with the exception of the 2011 Mustangs and up, they were designed and factory tuned to perform best on 87 octane. Run the least amount of octane you can without engine knock for the best performance.
Then explain to me why both my cars run better off 93 and get better times at the strip!..

And to the guy referring to every one as retards!!! I didn't insult you so you have no ****ing need to insult me or anyone else on here!!!

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Also both my cars get better mpg when running 93 vs 87!.. So explain that part to!.. Not trying to argue just simply stating actual facts and figures about my cars!..
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Then explain to me why both my cars run better off 93 and get better times at the strip!..

And to the guy referring to every one as retards!!! I didn't insult you so you have no ****ing need to insult me or anyone else on here!!!

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Also both my cars get better mpg when running 93 vs 87!.. So explain that part to!.. Not trying to argue just simply stating actual facts and figures about my cars!..
It's called the placebo effect. Even if you DID gain anything between 87-93, you wouldn't be able to measure it by a time slip, or tank full of fuel. A mere 10 degree in ambient temperature will change the power output difference more than changing fuel octane rating.

A measure of 8oz of fuel in the tank will give you more of a difference in fuel economy than comparing 87-93.

There's is a TON of fuel information out there for you to research.

Here's proof. Next time you go to the track put 5 gallons of C16 in your tank. Then tell me how much slower you go. MPH = power. Don't base your power output off ET......
Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

There is also a ton of misleading information out there!.. Do the research on your own car by actually trying it out!.. I did!.. And I get better mpg and times!.. That's not a placebo!.. That's simple facts and numbers!.. I'm not speaking for any one else cars!.. Just my own and what I have found works best for them!..
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
It's called the placebo effect. Even if you DID gain anything between 87-93, you wouldn't be able to measure it by a time slip, or tank full of fuel. A mere 10 degree in ambient temperature will change the power output difference more than changing fuel octane rating.

A measure of 8oz of fuel in the tank will give you more of a difference in fuel economy than comparing 87-93.

There's is a TON of fuel information out there for you to research.

Here's proof. Next time you go to the track put 5 gallons of C16 in your tank. Then tell me how much slower you go. MPH = power. Don't base your power output off ET......
Placebo my ***! On 87 my 300,000 mile S13 stalls at every stop. With 93, it runs great. You not gonna tell me 93 only reduces knocking. I call bull***** on that! Granted my 2011 GT does rattle when I used 87. As for power gains. I've no proof, nor do I care. All that I know for a fact is 93 makes my old car run much smoother.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT
I'm sorry not trying to be a d bag or anything but you people that think higher octane is better for your car when 1) it doesn't require it and 2) there is nothing wrong mechanically with your car are RERERREETTAARRDDSS! Thanks! (yeah I'm a little cranky today!)
Btw, you're totally being a D Bag! You basically chime in just to insult people. Save that crap for the Honda kids.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Placebo my ***! On 87 my 300,000 mile S13 stalls at every stop. With 93, it runs great.
Your 300,000 mile engine is probably a little tired, and has more carbon deposits than a coal mine. More prone to pre-ignition in every way imaginable. There's reason for everything.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your 300,000 mile engine is probably a little tired, and has more carbon deposits than a coal mine. More prone to pre-ignition in every way imaginable. There's reason for everything.
If you read an earlier post of mine you would see how my Monte-Carlo ran!.. And when I first got it, it only had 15,000 miles on it!..
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
None the less my S13 runs on much better on 93 then it did on 87. Tired or not, 93 makes an obvious difference.

Sigh, if my 240 knew you called her tired... Lol, she might have gotten Ghetto on you back it the day.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

My 280Z had the same attitude.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #28
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
My 280Z had the same attitude.
Lmao! Yeah, those Nissan's can get pretty prissy in their old age. I had her since I was 16 and we've been all over the country together.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Just to throw something else at yall here... Lol! It makes a difference WHERE you get your gas from to! Filling up with 87 at shell, Exxon or other name brand can be just as good as 91+ at a discount gas station. It's discount for a reason! The discount places usually have a higher water content in it. Runs crappy and burns faster!

And just to clear something up.... You can drop octane until you hear a "rattle" (detonation) not a knock. Knock is usually bottom end and a lot worse then anything more octane can fix, lol!

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

And more octane by itself usually won't yield more power, if it's coupled with a tune and advanced timing then it can to a point. As was mentioned earlier by someone else... These newer cars with the VCT they very well may see gains with 93 vs 87
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

And like I've said before!.. You find out what works best for your own car!.. If it's 87 then great!!... If it's 93 then great too!!...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
And like I've said before!.. You find out what works best for your own car!.. If it's 87 then great!!... If it's 93 then great too!!...
Exactly! Whatever you are comfortable with and gives you the warm and fuzzy! Lol!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #32
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Dion has made a very good point.
I can't believe I didn't think to mention it myself.
Stay away from those Ma & Pop Gas Stations! I work in the fuel transport industry. This is something I know to be fact. Ma & Pop Gas Station buy their fuel UNBRANDED at wholesale. Meaning no additive. Also stations like these do not maintain their tanks and filters. Most will only change a fuel filter when it's so clogged up that it's blocking the flow of fuel. At any given time these tanks will have up to two inches of water at the bottom of the tank and since 10% Ethanol is now present in most fuels, Ethanol suspends water in fuel. So there is more of a chance that you can actually get water into your tank when filling up. Stick to Branded fuel, Exxon, Shell, Valero, Chevron. Basically, if you don't see a brand symbol at the Gas Station don't buy it!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I run 93 in mine with a diabosport 93 octane performance tune and it runs GREAT

2010 V6 Premium Mustang , Pypes street-pro Axle back exhaust, K&N Drop in with modified Air box, Diablosport Predator 93 octane Performance Tune, Ford Racing Lowering springs, and Steeda Autorsports Front and Rear Sway Bars.
Ronin327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

You guys Run whatever gas you feel comfortable with, all gas needs to be bought, that how the economy is, I run 93 Octane in both my cars, I'm comfortable with that, and I don't mind the extra couple of cents to do it.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Ok, I need a straight answer does my car need 91 octane or higher because of the supercharger or will it run just as well on 87 octane because the 87 octane is a lot cheaper here in so cal.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT