hood pins or no hood pins? + 87,89,93 octane gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
hood pins or no hood pins? + 87,89,93 octane gas

hey there guys i have a 1998 mustang gt with a custom roof that doesnt sit quite right, but latches perfectly. my mechanic and his pals advised for some hood pins. i was informed of peoples roofs flying up hitting the windshield while driving. i was told it was my call because well the holes are permanents. theres no way to undo it. so my questions is; should i get them? why or why not? also 87, 89, vs93 octane gas? my Lucy Ford has over 300 hp is growl is very low and heavy. i feel like i need to treat her right. but will the extra .20 per gallon make a difference? today i put the middle grade (87) from Clarke's and i felt a difference. i was amazed. i will be driving some in the chicago cold. thanks for any input.
take care.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: hood pins or no hood pins? + 87,89,93 octane gas

if the mechanic said to install them , do it and it will look cool
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I always run hood pins. Running the better gas is good as well. It usualy gets you better mpg and performance. Also better on the cats if you still have them
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i still the converters in. so i guess ill run at least 89, and 93 mostof the time. i enjoyed the increased performance from 89 so i cant wait to see it run on 93. thanks for the responses. i really didnt want to get the hood pins because I felt that they wouldnt look good and were probably unnecessary.
can anyone show me some pics of this?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Could I run 91 octane in my 2000 v6? What would happen of I switched over from 87 to 91 octane?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Could I run 91 octane in my 2000 v6? What would happen of I switched over from 87 to 91 octane?
as far as i understand the car can handle any octane gas over 87. they are new enough to operate with all of them. before cars would require a certain octane but now most cars are made to be able to take any unleaded gas. now i would leave it up to the rest of the forum community to inform you whether it would benifit you or have no difference. i would assume the information would be the same. my mechanic told me that higher octane will provide you with better fuel efficiency and improve the performance because of how much gas you actually need to propel the car foward. correct me if i misunderstood and am wrong.

to add on to that... besides performance and fuel efficiency does it do the engine better? is it BETTER to run 90+ than 87 for the car in terms of erosion/ maintenance and the health of the parts of the engine?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I only run 93 octane.
89 octane is better then 87 but the blend is 30% 93 octane and 70% 87 octane. It's a waste of money if you ask me. Pay the difference buy the premium, your car will love you for it.

If you've got a fiberglass hood you gotta get hood pins. I've got a fiberglass hood myself and without pins at 120mph my hood was lifting at the corners! Needless to say, I ordered some flush mount hood pins from eBay for $70. I haven't put them on yet. I'm nervous like you, once you put holes in your hood there's no going back! Lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3637965133.png
Views:	285
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	34261

These are what they look like. They have them in black too but they are totally paintable. Hope this helps! Good luck!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Would my engine last longer if I use 91?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Would my engine last longer if I use 91?
I know the higher the octane, the cleaner it burns. I'd imagine that would play a part in the maintaining of your engine.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I know the higher the octane, the cleaner it burns. I'd imagine that would play a part in the maintaining of your engine.
my reasoning brought me to the same thought but id rather hear it from someone else to make sure i dont come out with a thought like 2+2=22 based on a stupid error on my part. thanks for your input on hood pins as well. i have some that are slightly smaller. but they are blue to match the car. i think if they dont match to well then id have them painted to match my stripes silver. id have to see them on though. i dont think they would look good at all. they may be okay, but i like it the way it is. i also dont think i will be going 120 mpph ever ive only gotten to 90 and was a bit frightened to go faster with the traffic and slight turns ahead of me (i fear losing control slightly on a bend and hitting the concrete barrier or the car next to me like inbetween two semis) but yeah i saw no movement at that speed. i guess if my mechanic put them in then thats for the better. if not then im not to sure ill ask him to. but like you said... i do have a fiberglass hood. any other insight on that?

i did not know it was that diluted. i shall only get premium from now on then
Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yeah, if you don't race your car and don't like the way the hood pins look, I wouldn't bother installing them after all. You could look into upgrading from the standard hood prop to a set of hood shocks. That would go a long way towards preventing your hood from slapping the windshield in the event that the hood were to ever fly up. Plus it would look great.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Yeah, if you don't race your car and don't like the way the hood pins look, I wouldn't bother installing them after all. You could look into upgrading from the standard hood prop to a set of hood shocks. That would go a long way towards preventing your hood from slapping the windshield in the event that the hood were to ever fly up. Plus it would look great.
okay sounds like i wont do it. but taking into consideration its a custom fiberglass hood would you still stand by your statement in going with OUT the pins? i dont think im getting them but i just want to make sure.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Be careful if you decide to put hood struts on a car with a fiberglass hood. Fiberglass hoods can be cracked or broken in half if there is to much tension while putting down the hood. Depends on how well they are reinforced.

Same goes with hood pins, if the hood is reinforced well and doesn't flex much you probably won't need them. I like the way they look, I have a stock hood and have them on my car. To me it adds piece of mind.

As far as gasoline for you car, I see no reason to put 93 octane in it, you can get away with midgrade and still have good performance. If you add a turbo or supercharger down the road you will need the 93 for sure.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #14

Region: Indiana
I have a 97 gt with 160,000 miles with some mods. I use 93+ only and it makes my cars engine run like new. My friend just bought a 94 cobra and drove it on reg for a month then I told him I only used 93+ he also said made a big difference ..... Ps hood pins make ur car look like a monster
Cruznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

in my opinion if you are going to run on 93 octane i would recommend you get a 93 octane performance/race tune from SCT or Diablosport so you can get the full benefits.

2010 V6 Premium Mustang , Pypes street-pro Axle back exhaust, K&N Drop in with modified Air box, Diablosport Predator 93 octane Performance Tune, Ford Racing Lowering springs, and Steeda Autorsports Front and Rear Sway Bars.
Ronin327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT