Why off the shelf? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Why off the shelf?

Why does it seem like no one wants to take the time to build their own stuff? Every post I see someone is suggesting a long block or an off the shelf set of heads or something from a shelf! Learn your motors. Spec your own cams. Know what you are doing. Have pride in your car knowing that you know every single inch of it from the crank to the valve covers. Am I the only one who is tired of this off the shelf mail order tune junk that people drive down the street and call it fast?
Fast04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I believe it's more about already proven combinations than anything. People se a few builds that are close to what they want and use those specs to go by.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

I guess. That's just not the way I was brought into the car world. We built hot rods from the frame up. So naturally I have continued to build my cars with my two hands from top to bottom. I just wish people would put love and time into their cars like it used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: Why off the shelf?

When I was younger and watched my dad work on cars I always wonderd why he didnt just have some one else do it. I really did not understand untill I got my stang last summer. A lot of the fun in a car is experimenting and seeing what you can get out of the car like the old days. Unforunantly its harder to do now days due to the computers but some day when I have the money I would love to hook my car up to a computer and let it allow me to make deciosions not some person in a shop.
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Good post. I built my 95 from the frame up with my Dad. I have a good idea what your getting at
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I think part of it is because nobody wants to put the time and effort of building everything themselves. A while back my dad described today's society as a microwave society, they want everything dome now. nobody wants to have to wait for the oven to finish even though it's results in a better product .
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Not everyone can do so with full time jobs, families and other things in life. Some just want to enjoy their Mustang from the start instead of having to worry through a build process such as the one you described.

Also, not everyone was raised a gear head. There are all kinds of Mustang enthusiasts out there.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Skype™ to JetWolf
I will definitely be doing this once I have a house to myself and can provide a full shop in said house!

If you like hand made things, there's an article I think in the October edition of Hot Rod about a guy that completely built an entire 1st Gen cherry red Mustang by hand. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

So far as for handmade I do custom cosmetic interior/engine/trunk work for cheap! But as for exterior cosmetic I can paint but building/welding for cosmetic and performance will come soon.

Im also I'm process of building a 69 Fastback for drag/NMRA
Unfortunately ex has possession of the frame, three engines, aamco Tranny & summit tires. I'm still trying to get it back :'(
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Also just to throw this out there!.. For some of us, myself included, our Mustangs are our daily drivers!.. I don't have the time or money to do much experimenting myself!.. I rely on my car everyday!.. Any down time costs me money!.. So using an already proven combo is a wiser move!.. It doesn't mean I have any less love for my car than you do yours!.. And it doesn't mean you know any more about them then me!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think that's what he's saying. Plus it cost twice as much to pay someone to do the work for ya. Nothin wrong with using things that people know are good or work well together but I myself take that much more pride in knowing that I did the work.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Then what exactly is he saying!.. Because that's what it sounds like to me!.. By the way I do all my own wrench work unless it requires a special tool that I don't have the cash for!..
Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

we did that back in the old days but now my priorities have changed
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that but I believe he's saying that it seems nobody wants to make the effort to do the work themselves and I have noticed it myself. Especially locally there are about 20 out of roughly 25 people I know with muscle that just pay for the work. I think it's just a generation of lazy people.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. 20 out 25 people I know do all our own work ourselves!!... Lol. We are just to broke to pay any one!!... Lol. But I would still like for him to clarify his own statement!..
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I agree, my car is a Daily Driver too but every thing I have done so far including the exterior was done by my dad and I in my drive way on a weekend.
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02 View Post
I agree, my car is a Daily Driver too but every thing I have done so far including the exterior was done by my dad and I in my drive way on a weekend.
Same here
I wish I could do more to my car but since she is my daily driver I cant do anything that could take more than a day

But I do understand that most people today are pretty damn lazy and just wanna take their car to someone else, my fiance, sadly, being one of them
and I sometimes cant stand that
I hate anyone else touching my baby unless I cant fix it myself and have already tried

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #17

I'm not even saying it's bad to take it to someone else. Not everyone has the know how to pry a set of heads in their garage. I'm just saying make it unique spec your cam have ported heads not out of the box heads. Don't buy a crate spec your own engine block/ build.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast04
I'm not even saying it's bad to take it to someone else. Not everyone has the know how to pry a set of heads in their garage. I'm just saying make it unique spec your cam have ported heads not out of the box heads. Don't buy a crate spec your own engine block/ build.
I know what your saying!.. But generally that can cost a bit more than buying something off the shelf!.. And personally I would rather get something that has been tested and proven!.. Vs I hope this will work and last a long time!.. Any down time for me is a b**** on multiple levels!.. Lol. In the end my engine may not be "unique" but my car as a whole will be!.. And to me that's what matter most!..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #19

I understand what you are getting at with the down time. I'm also not saying a car
AR can't be mean can't be a fast car with off the shelf parts believe menu have seen plenty of crazy fast cars with nothing but throw it on parts. I am only saying I hope it doesn't disappear. The art of people building their own cars with their hands.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast04 View Post
I understand what you are getting at with the down time. I'm also not saying a car
AR can't be mean can't be a fast car with off the shelf parts believe menu have seen plenty of crazy fast cars with nothing but throw it on parts. I am only saying I hope it doesn't disappear. The art of people building their own cars with their hands.
just curious did you spec your own cams? whats done to your car anyway lol?

only car i didnt build is my gt thats at the shop now because i dont have time to build a turbo kit and dont really want to. Dont have time to build a cage,wire tuck the engine bay,etc etc because i dont have the time and dont want to do it..

most people just dont have time to work on it...doesnt matter who hands build it as long as it does what it suppposed to do when you get it back is fine with me..

and what the hell are you talking about..ported heads and out the box heads? buyin ported heads still come in a box lol...trickflow heads come in a box and outflow ported heads sooo what are you talking about again lol?
slow02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Tools and Knowledge...not everyone has enough of both to properly do it.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #22

I am not disagreeing with you that the new trick flows are great and making crazy power. I am just saying I hate to see this lifestyle fade away. Yes I have custom grinds from crower that I specd myself I balanced my own rotating assembly and my hands have done every piece of my car. I just thought I could get a good thread going here and see what everyone else thought about building their own stuff
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

so whats done to your car and how much power does it make? im just curious
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast04
I am not disagreeing with you that the new trick flows are great and making crazy power. I am just saying I hate to see this lifestyle fade away. Yes I have custom grinds from crower that I specd myself I balanced my own rotating assembly and my hands have done every piece of my car. I just thought I could get a good thread going here and see what everyone else thought about building their own stuff
There some ppl in my area that can build a motor with the same parts as another builder and build a better running engine..
It does seem like its becoming a lost art..

Also I would think a fair amount of off the self parts are modified before they are installed..
Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #25

Nothing at all man. It's a stock 40th anniversary. If you want to come here to Wisconsin we can throw them on the rollers and see who makes more, or we can just run them down the track. I'm not here to have a pissing contest with you or anyone else my point is the art is dying.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

lol... im not argueing with you...and i would win if i brought my one of my cars there...

im acually curious to whats done to your car and what kind of power you are puttin down... i didnt search but i guess i may as well since your making stuff difficult when im just asking a question.. im not one of the kids with a bolt on gt on here lol..although i am only 24 lol..so you would probably want to know about my car b4 calling it out.

the art is not dyin..look a tall the x275,outlaw 10.5 and stuff 95% of all real drag racers acutally build their own cars..they may not do the chassis work which for 1 you would want to make sure a acutally chassis guy that builds extreme race cars for a living does because of safey...but most of them build their cars and race their cars theirself...so i think you dont know what you are talking about..

most guys dont want to mess with a shortblock(me being 1) because i rather leave it up to a person that does it for a living and knows the tricks and tips on how to do it right and perfect....

just saying
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #27

I am only 24 too and have been building the car since I was in high school. I'm not sure why you think I don't know what I'm talking about and yes a lot of racers do build their own. The outlaw 10.5 class is crazy. The amount of money and time those guys spend on those cars is amazing to me and I wish I had the time and money to do it.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't think the art of modding your motor or car is dying I think that it is evolving. As many have said in this thread it's hard to be able to spec your own cams and heads and various other stuff for cheaper than you can buy from someone who has already done it. Also as you know many racers do build there own stuff and once it's proven it works alot of them have performance shops and make these parts available to the rest of us which is how it has always been in the performance car world innovations in racing lead to better performance parts for the consumer. Evolving not dying
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
I don't think the art of modding your motor or car is dying I think that it is evolving. As many have said in this thread it's hard to be able to spec your own cams and heads and various other stuff for cheaper than you can buy from someone who has already done it. Also as you know many racers do build there own stuff and once it's proven it works alot of them have performance shops and make these parts available to the rest of us which is how it has always been in the performance car world innovations in racing lead to better performance parts for the consumer. Evolving not dying
That sounds about right to me!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT