Intake Manifold Gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Mustang1804 Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang1804
Intake Manifold Gasket

A couple of days ago I noticed very minor trails of smoke coming from under the hood as I was parked and I paid no mind to it but earlier this morning I went to the store and came back and as I got out the car, I noticed trails of smoke again then I popped the hood and inspected a little bit and noticed the smoke trails coming from near the Intake Manifold Gasket and I decided to have a mechanic down the street look at it and he told me it was indeed the Intake Manifold Gasket and he said it would be a whole days work which could take anywhere from 8-11 hours which including with parts, etc. would cost about $1500 to repair. I'm not mechanic or expert but this sounds to step. Can anyone give me some advice or any estimate for a job like repairing or replacing. Thank you in advance.

Proud 1999 Ford Mustang GT owner!!!
Mustang1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Intake Manifold Gasket

That does sound a little flippin steep
I really dont know how much and how long it should be but I would at least attempt at doing it myself before I spent $1500 for it

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Wow that guy is trying to rip you off. I replaced my intake manifold and it took about 1 hour. Gaskets are about $20 and it should take no more than 2 hrs labor.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel
Wow that guy is trying to rip you off. I replaced my intake manifold and it took about 1 hour. Gaskets are about $20 and it should take no more than 2 hrs labor.
+1. I think alldata estimates 2.5 hrs but cant remember for sure. Its really all of unbolting egr from throttle body, disconnect fuel line, and remove about 13 bolts that hold the intake down. No need to remove injectors throttle body ect just leave connected to intake manifold and lift it off. Make sure that the intake isnt cracked though. Seems more likely that may be your actual problem
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1967Mustang View Post

That does sound a little flippin steep
I really dont know how much and how long it should be but I would at least attempt at doing it myself before I spent $1500 for it

Yea that's what I was saying. I was like >>> <<<

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post

I'm a novice DIY mechanic so i'm not that skilled at doing my own repairs yet. Learning little by little, hoping to be an expert DIY mechanic oneday though. I am gonna just get someone to do this job. The mechanic down the street that gave me the bogus price told me that replacing the manifold would require him to take off alot of parts and he would put a special aluminium one instead of plastic and all this other stuff and supposedly it would take a whole day. I knew it sounded fishy so that's why I came on here. No way am I paying $1500.

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
+1. I think alldata estimates 2.5 hrs but cant remember for sure. Its really all of unbolting egr from throttle body, disconnect fuel line, and remove about 13 bolts that hold the intake down. No need to remove injectors throttle body ect just leave connected to intake manifold and lift it off. Make sure that the intake isnt cracked though. Seems more likely that may be your actual problem
Yea the mechanic said might have a slight crack, regardless, it would have to be replaced and he said alot of work has to be done and it would cost $1500 smh.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You can order the aluminum crossover ford peice from american muscle for 200. It seriously takes 2 hrs at most for anyone with decent hand tools. You can do it yourself for 200 plus the gaskets that run about 35. Just dont buy the dorman intake from advance auto. Seriously though save the cash and do it yourself. Its very simple
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01
You can order the aluminum crossover ford peice from american muscle for 200. It seriously takes 2 hrs at most for anyone with decent hand tools. You can do it yourself for 200 plus the gaskets that run about 35. Just dont buy the dorman intake from advance auto. Seriously though save the cash and do it yourself. Its very simple

Im too chicken to do this myself lolz scared I would do more harm then good, im a novice at DIY. Roughly how much should a job like this run at a local shop?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You can do it seriously its that simple. I would estimate a shop would charge 3 hrs labor or so. 250-300 just in labor? Plus they will probably use the advance auto dorman intake that you DONT want amd that will run another 200ish. So 500 or so plus gaskets where you could do it half that. At least do your self a favor and look it up online to see if its something you thibk you could do. Its very very easy i would rather do that than change my oil
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
@Mustang1804

Dude, I understand how nervous you might be about doing this, but honestly, you will never learn unless you try. The job sounds/looks harder than it actually is. Since you're new at this, plan to start on a Saturday-so you have the weekend to take your time. Make sure you have everything you need before you start-including a new oil filter and replacement oil as you should change it after the job is complete. Remember to take your time and don't feel down about not getting it done within a couple hours. If you have extra cash, do yourself a favor and get yourself an aftermarket aluminum intake. For future mods it's money well spent. Note though most aftermarket intakes require different fuel rails and maybe some other components which may not be in your budget. If you do try this yourself, pm me and let me know how it worked out. Good Luck!
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
@Mustang1804

Dude, I understand how nervous you might be about doing this, but honestly, you will never learn unless you try. The job sounds/looks harder than it actually is. Since you're new at this, plan to start on a Saturday-so you have the weekend to take your time. Make sure you have everything you need before you start-including a new oil filter and replacement oil as you should change it after the job is complete. Remember to take your time and don't feel down about not getting it done within a couple hours. If you have extra cash, do yourself a favor and get yourself an aftermarket aluminum intake. For future mods it's money well spent. Note though most aftermarket intakes require different fuel rails and maybe some other components which may not be in your budget. If you do try this yourself, pm me and let me know how it worked out. Good Luck!
Thanks alot for the advice. I dont need a fancy aluminium one, I want a plastic since I only intend on keeping my stang for another two years only. I keep hearing dorman are bad, is there any good ones you could recommend?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT