is it really that hard ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
is it really that hard ?

I have a 02' mustang gt, mild bolt ons. it's an auto , which has become the piss in my cornflakes. well recently I ran low on oil (cam cover was leaking unknowingly) and now I have a tick/clack. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the top end. tranny is also shot. so I'm thinking pull motor and tranny, freshn up the motor( heads, cams, springs, etc.) and convert to a 5 spd. I guess my questions are , are these engines really that hard to work on if I take my time and do it right , and converting to a 5 speed should be a breeze with the motor out, right? I am not a mechanic , but I want to learn and it's not my daily driver, so I can take as much time as I need. and for all who say just buy a 5 speed , I can't , my credit was good when I bought the car 4 years ago and two divorces earlier
vettekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The web is full of information on this. I would say go for it if it's not your dd.
Jlt00bluegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it just seems everything I read is , "buy a crate engine", " buy a junk yard engine" , I just want to rebuild mine, i have only found one book on this so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettekiller
it just seems everything I read is , "buy a crate engine", " buy a junk yard engine" , I just want to rebuild mine, i have only found one book on this so far.
Modular motors are said to be more difficult, but If you can find a good manual on overhauling I too say go for it. For those ppl that say go crate motor and what not they my have the resources to buy a crate motor, or lack of exp, or lack of motivation.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Modular motors are said to be more difficult, but If you can find a good manual on overhauling I too say go for it. For those ppl that say go crate motor and what not they my have the resources to buy a crate motor, or lack of exp, or lack of motivation.
thank you, I really set out on here for motivation. I think I will start plans today. probaly do a write up on the engine rebuild/ tranny convert lol. lord help me
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettekiller

thank you, I really set out on here for motivation. I think I will start plans today. probaly do a write up on the engine rebuild/ tranny convert lol. lord help me
It will defiantly help to have a good plan and a rebuild manual! Nothing worth it was ever easy!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

what manual do you recommend? I have been toying w the idea of buying the "how to rebuild a 4.6/5.4" book.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Check out Shawn Hyland (if that is even spelled correctlly) That actually might be the manual you have. He has a real good book for modular Ford motors.
Boostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Re: is it really that hard ?

just fix what you have...as for your tranny...i wouldn't convert...i'd throw a proper shift kit at your auto and add a nice stall
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom239
just fix what you have...as for your tranny...i wouldn't convert...i'd throw a proper shift kit at your auto and add a nice stall
I really want a 5 speed , w the motor out it shouldn't be too bad running the clutch pedal. I don't know , I have always been on the fence about it. right now I'm trying to get this damn power steering pump off, the bottom line blocking my last nut will not budge :/
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!

check to see if you have any local mustang groups...if so see if anyone has a nicely set up auto..ask them if you can take it for a spin. it might help your choice out.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
check to see if you have any local mustang groups...if so see if anyone has a nicely set up auto..ask them if you can take it for a spin. it might help your choice out.
my auto now is shot, so that's why I'm taking the leap, instead of throwing money back into it. it's the only thing that makes it not my "dream" car.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettekiller View Post
my auto now is shot, so that's why I'm taking the leap, instead of throwing money back into it. it's the only thing that makes it not my "dream" car.
lol well if you want it bad then go for it....tranny choice isn't a concern of mine after having stangs with both...pros and cons either way
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol well if you want it bad then go for it....tranny choice isn't a concern of mine after having stangs with both...pros and cons either way
I agree. I'm fixing to start a new thread with my process and pics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT